Does the railfan community attract certain kinds of people?

Paul P

Anyone who doesn't think this hobby tends to attract some special people needs to ride the Nostalgia special during the holidays.

Your questions will summarily be answered.

The only thing that prevents me from riding that train is because it runs thru the same boring route on the V line every year. One ride and that's enough for me. I rode it as an excuse to get some pics of the R42s on the (E) and the rare (G) on QB weekends.

But if I do ride, I'm doing a 'reverse rfw' ride since that's always clear.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This doesn't seem transit related. I though it was something like "the M3's are better than the M8's, what did you say?, I'll f*ck you up!, the M8's are better, etc.........

This seems more serious, and after fighting cops, I don't know why is on the streets walking. In some places, he would be in a wheelchair permanently, with a broken spine..........

Sadly, the only thing preventing deuchebags like that from getting the shit kicked out of him would be a greedy lawer just waiting to sue the cops and the city on his behalf :)

I too would be in favor of the cops dishing 'justice' as well. Never f_ck around with them.

That's so awesome! Yeah sadly of all the coasters at 6 Flags GAdv, I haven't been on El Toro yet. That's because when I was there in 2008, it was the only one not working. Luckily, I got 2 rides on Kinda Ka - that launch was friggin intense! Nitro, omg, that is just awesome.

Next month I'm going to Kings Dominion - a park in VA. They have this new coaster down there Intimidator 305, and that ride has been a big story so far on the coaster forums. I'm looking forward to riding that.

That 1st drop on EL Toro will make your pee yourself. Im telling you the ride is so fast that even the ride up is atleast 15-20mph. Im heading to Kings Dominion in July and then Ceder Point in Ohio in August. I love Kingda Ka, and Nitro is the best hands down!

I don't know how often you go on those trips (I don't recall seeing you last year), but holy hell, they're something else. Stay out of that lead car, and if you must, cover your nose!

LMAO!!!! That is so cold but so true! LOL The hobby has some serious wackjobs but every hobby has a wackjob or 2 in them so it is what it is. I just wish some of them would wash their ass and brush their teeth before coming out. Soap and water is your friend, not your enemy.

Anyone who doesn't think this hobby tends to attract some special people needs to ride the Nostalgia special during the holidays.

Your questions will summarily be answered.

100% agreed.

I don't know how often you go on those trips (I don't recall seeing you last year), but holy hell, they're something else. Stay out of that lead car, and if you must, cover your nose!

Yes. Smells like a f***ing pile of dogshit in there because a bunch of foamers can't take a god damn shower in the morning.

Even worse is the conversations, all about their "favorite cars" and how much they "like this and hate that" and their predictions for car moves based on nothing. Basically the shitty half of the discussions that happen here and on subchat. LAME.

LMAO!!!! That is so cold but so true! LOL The hobby has some serious wackjobs but every hobby has a wackjob or 2 in them so it is what it is. I just wish some of them would wash their ass and brush their teeth before coming out. Soap and water is your friend, not your enemy.

This post brought to you by....

DIA00098.JPG

and

quadrant_shower_enclosure_atlantis.jpg

:P

Yes. Smells like a f***ing pile of dogshit in there because a bunch of foamers can't take a god damn shower in the morning.

And now you know why you'll never find me in the 1st car on fantrips...

Even worse is the conversations, all about their "favorite cars" and how much they "like this and hate that" and their predictions for car moves based on nothing. Basically the shitty half of the discussions that happen here and on subchat. LAME.

I KNOW!

"The R44's suck"

"The R160's need to be reefed"

that's just some of the comments I've heard on that trip.

Some advice: Stop bitching about the train types and enjoy it while you can

Umm... dogs**t smells better then the "great unwashed". Maybe if these "people" worried more about them self's then car moves, car numbers, being the first and last to be somewhere or do something, the Transit Museum would make more money on the trips because normal would not be scared away by the animals. I don't even remember who many normal people got on the Holiday train in the first car and quickly left when they saw the kind of people who were jamming them self's into the front window, many of them making train sounds or yelling out there own announcements, you also have all the people who like to yell out the windows at people on the platform and this is just the crap I see on organized museum trips trips. I can't imagine the crap that gets done when a group of foamers goes roving around the system.

Umm... dogs**t smells better then the "great unwashed". Maybe if these "people" worried more about them self's then car moves, car numbers, being the first and last to be somewhere or do something, the Transit Museum would make more money on the trips because normal would not be scared away by the animals. I don't even remember who many normal people got on the Holiday train in the first car and quickly left when they saw the kind of people who were jamming them self's into the front window, many of them making train sounds or yelling out there own announcements, you also have all the people who like to yell out the windows at people on the platform and this is just the crap I see on organized museum trips trips. I can't imagine the crap that gets done when a group of foamers goes roving around the system.

(responses to quote in same style as above)

I know, so annoying.I don't want to hear your extremely bad versions of train sounds NOR do I need to hear your loud mouth announce every stop the train makes!

I dont get it. What's the point of yelling out the train window anyways. It's not like people can hear you over the rumbling of the train

I dont get it. What's the point of yelling out the train window anyways. It's not like people can hear you over the rumbling of the train

Actually, people on the platform can hear those who yell. It has put the Museum Train in jeopardy several times before since people can and will complain to the TA about a train of people cursing at them.

All true. I have seen little kids and their parents quickly TURN AROUND AND RUN disgusted after trying to get little Johnny or Suzy up to the front just so they can look out the window the way every kid on a museum trip should be allowed to if they want. Why? Because a bunch of degenerate foamers who last took a shower during the Clinton administration want to film bullshit out the front of the window and put it on Youtube for the umpteenth time.

The foaming over car moves is pointless, it is just chest pumping and trying to act like who is in the know but you and I both know the deal and we both know who's really in the know and the rest is bullshit. I don't know why there is this ego-fest to be god among foamers because to me that's like being the head of the American Retards Society. It means nothing but they all spend their idle days doing it anyway...

The Transit Museum would make more money off the trips if the foamers were better behaved, if the foamers actually paid to go on the trips instead of "chasing" because they are too cheap to pay for something that goes into a fund that is used partly to maintain the very cars they claim to like so much.

The yelling out the windows and cursing is COMPLETELY unacceptable and will get the trips in trouble if that sort of thing continues all it takes is some politician's wife to be waiting for a train and someone screams some dumb shit at her and a few phone calls get made wondering why some ass hole from the old train is cursing at people...

As far as when they go roving around the system it's pretty obvious what goes on, hell I can spot a damn railien from a mile away...they do the same shit everywhere and you can tell all it does is piss off the public who does not like hearing people screaming shit about R32's and R160's while they try and just get to work.

The Transit Museum would make more money off the trips if the foamers were better behaved, if the foamers actually paid to go on the trips instead of "chasing" because they are too cheap to pay for something that goes into a fund that is used partly to maintain the very cars they claim to like so much.

I'll have to disagree with you on this one. Some people will "chase" these trains in order to get a shot or footage of it passing by a station that they like. IMO I don't see anything wrong with that at all but everything else you've stated in the part that I didn't include I agree with you there.

I'll have to disagree with you on this one. Some people will "chase" these trains in order to get a shot or footage of it passing by a station that they like. IMO I don't see anything wrong with that at all but everything else you've stated in the part that I didn't include I agree with you there.

If you have everyone chasing and very few people paying to go on trips, the TM makes no money and there will be NO trips. This is why the route of all the summer trips is kept as quite as possible.

If you have everyone chasing and very few people paying to go on trips, the TM makes no money and there will be NO trips. This is why the route of all the summer trips is kept as quite as possible.

True, can't argue with that.

(responses to quote in same style as above)

I know, so annoying.I don't want to hear your extremely bad versions of train sounds NOR do I need to hear your loud mouth announce every stop the train makes!

On top of that, it's not like you're getting paid to scream like an animal in the zoo. I'm with all of you guys, a lot of the foamers are embarrassing because they are so inconsiderate of those around them and it's not just the teenagers, but also the adults. Some of them should get their asses kicked for thinking that they own the RFW or whatever spot they are in and not making way for people on those Nostalgia trains.

The foaming over car moves is pointless, it is just chest pumping and trying to act like who is in the know but you and I both know the deal and we both know who's really in the know and the rest is bullshit. I don't know why there is this ego-fest to be god among foamers because to me that's like being the head of the American Retards Society. It means nothing but they all spend their idle days doing it anyway...

I agreed with the entire post but I will say this much, I like hearing the railfans or foamers in this case, talk about the trains and the train movements. Yes I know that you and INDman know more cause you guys are actually in the system but the discussion of what is "known" is something that I find to be fun or amusing. It's interesting to hear who sounds intelligent and who sounds ignorant. Now I don't like it when they feel the need to scream about what they know or don't know but it's cool to talk to those people and see where they are coming from. I guess I'm trying to see how full the glass is and not how empty it is, even though the emptiness can be very blinding LOL

The only thing that prevents me from riding that train is because it runs thru the same boring route on the V line every year. One ride and that's enough for me. I rode it as an excuse to get some pics of the R42s on the (E) and the rare (G) on QB weekends.

But if I do ride, I'm doing a 'reverse rfw' ride since that's always clear.

Then, make a vid there and play it in reverse. Then have people wonder why they missed the wrong-railing train!

Then, make a vid there and play it in reverse. Then have people wonder why they missed the wrong-railing train!

Hey two years ago they were dumb enough to believe that R9 1689, out of service since Winter 07/08, ran in NYC to Coney Island all because of a simple sign swap, never mind the car was out of service for motor repairs and that no one saw the car moved from CT to NY...simple sign swap and they all got fooled...

...People still pop up with questions about the "R10 at 76th Street" that they saw on Joe Brennan's website...

Make the evidence convincing enough and the railiens will believe ANYTHING.

Hey two years ago they were dumb enough to believe that R9 1689, out of service since Winter 07/08, ran in NYC to Coney Island all because of a simple sign swap, never mind the car was out of service for motor repairs and that no one saw the car moved from CT to NY...simple sign swap and they all got fooled...

...People still pop up with questions about the "R10 at 76th Street" that they saw on Joe Brennan's website...

Make the evidence convincing enough and the railiens will believe ANYTHING.

I LOL every time that comes up.

That 1st drop on EL Toro will make your pee yourself. Im telling you the ride is so fast that even the ride up is atleast 15-20mph. Im heading to Kings Dominion in July and then Ceder Point in Ohio in August. I love Kingda Ka, and Nitro is the best hands down!

I so gotta ride El Toro one day even if it has to be my final wish, lol.

But, cool about going to Kings Dominion, I'll let you know how I305 is like. I'm going down there next month.

Sweet about Cedar point, that place is like Disney World for roller coasters. I gotta go there someday.

To be kind, theres a whole mix of people because I've come across many in this hobby and some people are just interesting characters.

Then to be honest (brutally at that), there are nutjobs in this hobby.

I second all of that.

i've seen at least photographers, even if they aren't specifically railfans taking photos at princeton, edison, metuchen, trenton etc while i was on a train as passenger.

- A

Archived