Does the railfan community attract certain kinds of people?

Paul P

There are the following kinds of railfans:

1. Ones who fan for the fun of it, while doing so peacefully.

2. Those who do so for the fun of it, but yell and go crazy.

3. Those who peacefully foam.

4. Those who flame others if there is a disagreement.

5. Any combination of the above.

I`m more the first type than anything else.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just like in any other hobby, railfanning features both normal people and loonie toons like at Subchat. Some people simply enjoy railfanning. Others are ready to fight or insult other people who disagree with their opinions. It's the same at this Yankees message board I post on. There's a jack@ss named htman 213. He calls anyone who criticizes Derek Jeter a Red Sox fan.

I agree...there's some members here that have a big ego problem it's not even funny,because they all raise want to have the last word...

There's a few threads that interests me like the occasional sports and money threads. But the other two forums are ok. Just stay away from O/T chat if you value your health ;)

Ot Chat turn into a politics chat....every move Obama make you will have the same people make a topic of it...

I'm a combination of 3 and 2

I love going up for close ups and junk, but when I can avoid a fight it is avoided. If an operator tells me that photography isn't allowed, I peacefully explain how its for my hobby and 9 times out of ten the operator will show me extras (few of them even let me get the feel of the driver seat). The other 1 out of 10 will just say "oh okay have a nice day, sorry to bother you."

HOWEVER!

If I'm with a group, I am definatly gonna be a character! IDK what it is, but group trips always bring out the (D)(J) in me

As far as the type of people that exist in this community of ours (I don't mean solely NYCTF, but other transit forums as well)... lemme tell you... it's not near nothing worse than what you would see on any large-scale sports-based forum, or any music related based forum (especially those specific to any rap artist)...

Going by this list, #1 defines me... I ride buses/trains for the sake of riding them, while learning bits & pieces of the areas I'm seeking to travel to.... I never go ape-shit over trainsets & bus fleets.... if you disagree w/ me, go 'head - it's your prerogative; wasting your time if you're gonna resort to flaming me.....

....and if I'm yelling & screaming on a bus or train @ 28 years old, I'll voluntarily register myself into a psych ward....

I'm a combination of 3 and 2

I love going up for close ups and junk, but when I can avoid a fight it is avoided. If an operator tells me that photography isn't allowed, I peacefully explain how its for my hobby and 9 times out of ten the operator will show me extras (few of them even let me get the feel of the driver seat). The other 1 out of 10 will just say "oh okay have a nice day, sorry to bother you."

HOWEVER!

If I'm with a group, I am definatly gonna be a character! IDK what it is, but group trips always bring out the (D)(J) in me

Exactly; you have to know how to act with personnel...yes, they have every right to stop you or me, but being polite will make a good outcome of the situation.

As far as the type of people that exist in this community of ours (I don't mean solely NYCTF, but other transit forums as well)... lemme tell you... it's not near nothing worse than what you would see on any large-scale sports-based forum, or any music related based forum (especially those specific to any rap artist)...

Going by this list, #1 defines me... I ride buses/trains for the sake of riding them, while learning bits & pieces of the areas I'm seeking to travel to.... I never go ape-shit over trainsets & bus fleets.... if you disagree w/ me, go 'head - it's your prerogative... and if I'm yelling & screaming on a bus or train @ 28 years old, I'll voluntarily register myself to a psych ward....

Agreed there about the screaming and about the trains/buses.^

If a 'certain' [bus] passes by, I might have a 'shocked' expression, but I'm not going to jump up and down about it. I'll take my pics and then be on my way.

I guess it is partly my nature to not yell out loud in public, but there just doesn't seem to be any point unless the person you are trying to talk to really can't hear you.

I say I'm #1.

I take photos and ride the rails/buses. I have no direct opinion on any trainset. I don't obsess over trainsets (ex. I can't ride this. It's a 44). I don't join in on rumors, I let people have wars over stuff till....

nuclear_explosion.jpg

;)

(in short: I just want to take photos and sit my ass down (or stand my ass up ;)) on a train)

I definitly fall under category #1. I do not like hanging with the loud and obnoxious crowd. I just don't like that kind of attention. I definitly don't foam over trains. Also, I'm just not that kind of guy who argues becuase of a disagreement, like are you serious?!

To be kind, theres a whole mix of people because I've come across many in this hobby and some people are just interesting characters.

Then to be honest (brutally at that), there are nutjobs in this hobby. But who am I to judge? I know I'm crazy.

I know you are too....:P:p:p.........

I'm the biggest whacko/nutjob/weirdo/freak/loser/moron/fatty/geezer/baby/sissy/cow/potato you can find in this hobby, but I'm also very educated as well... To a geeky extent :o

You said it, not us.........

Yes, there is a certain "Type" that this hobby in particular attracts, you all know the stereotype...those that do not shower, scream and yell about trains, have no people skills, last saw a vagina on the day they were born, and do nothing in their spare time except draw trains and fantasy maps...however every hobby has their "extremists" you can think of the normal ones as regular muslims and the railiens as the Taliban.

The bad ones just seem to be more "concentrated" when it comes to trains...why, I have no idea.

However, that said, there are many great people in this hobby and I'm fortunate to know many of them.

But doesn't what you wrote describe you??????? So does this mean you are fortunate to know yourself??????:P:p:p............

Truth be told, I want to come back but Tony Clifton is Terrapin Station. I've been doing so well in regards to my mental health. The last thing I need is another meltdown. I'll put my pride aside and stay away from Subchat.

Some of the Rail Fanners in CT Fight.......a few threatened me.....:P.....like i would fight them anyway:cool:

I really want to know, why they threatened you, and over what. This has gotta be good, but yet sad at the same time...........

But doesn't what you wrote describe you??????? So does this mean you are fortunate to know yourself??????:P:p:p............

I know the good ones DOB and I am one of the good ones since IT TAKES ONE TO KNOW ONE...you should be awfully glad I know you too DOB lest you fall into the "does not shower" category if I didn't... :P

I know the good ones DOB and I am one of the good ones since IT TAKES ONE TO KNOW ONE...you should be awfully glad I know you too DOB lest you fall into the "does not shower" category if I didn't... :P

Hey, I shower everyday, except on Sundays (sometimes Sunday and Monday), if I ain't going out nowhere, and have to be back at work on Tuesday. I had to shower today :mad::mad::mad:, cause I had to go out. Most Mondays I do, cause I can't stand the smell of myself then. It's bad when you cause tears to come out of your own eyes, due to your own funk 12-9ing your nostrils..........

Hey, I shower everyday, except on Sundays (sometimes Sunday and Monday), if I ain't going out nowhere, and have to be back at work on Tuesday. I had to shower today :mad::mad::mad:, cause I had to go out. Most Mondays I do, cause I can't stand the smell of myself then. It's bad when you cause tears to come out of your own eyes, due to your own funk 12-9ing your nostrils..........

hahaha

I really want to know, why they threatened you, and over what. This has gotta be good, but yet sad at the same time...........

He made some comments about Newark & Secacus & i took offensive and confronted him about them.....he made more comments and challenged me to a fight @ Stamford station. Needless to say hes a bad ass , hes already fought a few Metro-North cops.....And he has a posse , about 6 of them.....:mad::eek:

He made some comments about Newark & Secacus & i took offensive and confronted him about them.....he made more comments and challenged me to a fight @ Stamford station. Needless to say hes a bad ass , hes already fought a few Metro-North cops.....And he has a posse , about 6 of them.....:mad::eek:

This doesn't seem transit related. I though it was something like "the M3's are better than the M8's, what did you say?, I'll f*ck you up!, the M8's are better, etc.........

This seems more serious, and after fighting cops, I don't know why is on the streets walking. In some places, he would be in a wheelchair permanently, with a broken spine..........

This doesn't seem transit related. I though it was something like "the M3's are better than the M8's, what did you say?, I'll f*ck you up!, the M8's are better, etc.........

This seems more serious, and after fighting cops, I don't know why is on the streets walking. In some places, he would be in a wheelchair permanently, with a broken spine..........

He made a video about how he hates the cop who kicked him off the platform , i mean who makes a video about that?:eek:

He made a video about how he hates the cop who kicked him off the platform , i mean who makes a video about that?:eek:

It's a damn wigger.

What is the point of b*tching about police on the Internet? It's not like anyone cares.

Haha, I would love for him to say that to a grown ass man in his face but judging from him only doing it on youtube, I would imagine he doesn't have the balls to do so.

Haha, I would love for him to say that to a grown ass man in his face but judging from him only doing it on youtube, I would imagine he doesn't have the balls to do so.

He can't even put words together. One good punch, and his ***** a$$ friends would scatter faster than rats when a train comes in. I bet if he sees that cop again, and that cop says, "I seen your You Tube video, his voice would crack, and he would sound like a lil bizzatch..........

Ohhh-Kaayyy. Hopefully the MTA PD doesn't get a hold of that video, cause if he gets seen again, there might be a few waiting for him, who take him for a ride (and a baton might ride him)..........

you can DL the video and send it to the MTA PD;)

He's shorter then me , like he can even win , i would rip him a Jersey or Catenary wrap....himmm;):eek:

He can't even put words together. One good punch, and his ***** a$$ friends would scatter faster than rats when a train comes in. I bet if he sees that cop again, and that cop says, "I seen your You Tube video, his voice would crack, and he would sound like a lil bizzatch..........

LOL , i can just imagine , that. He's got a nickname for every Station whether its Gaycacus or Cock Roach Penn....:mad:

Just remember!

internet-serious-business.jpg

Archived