How do I get my parents to let me go railfanning?

R42 M Train

My parents know that I am interested in the subway ever since I asked my mom to tape that Ultimate Factories R160 special. How do I get them to let me go in the subway and take pic and vid of the trains? I asking this mainly because the only time I get to railfan is when I get out early from school and parents think I have a full day and when I skip Drama Guild.

Well, if they don't want you to go railfanning, make up some excuses. I rarely use "railfanning" as a reason to go somewhere. So I would say, "meeting out with friends", "special tutoring session at school", "college seminar" etc...

Just tell them the plain truth, tbh.

They don't even now what railfanning is. All they know is that I'm interested in the subways. My mom would probalbly flip if she found out that I was in Broadway Junction because she told me that was a bad area. So should i jsut be like "Mom, I wanna go railfanning this saturday which means I'll be taking pics and vids" and let her set some ground rules (which I probably won't follow) lol

Again, if they don't want you to go, you have to decide between the two:

A) Don't go because your parents do not want you to go

:( Make up excuses and go

We're not going to decide for you nor are we going to directly influence you. It is totally up to you to decide to choose between the two.

Start with baby steps. One day go with your mom to the transit museum. Show her all of the exhibits and explain that you're interested in trains (just like some people are interested in cars). Then, go with her on a MOD or Nostalgia trip. She'll see that most railfans are decent people (with the exception of guys like Brian Weinberg). Most likely she'll meet some of the guys who post here. When they invite you on their trips she will let you attend.

I've been waiting for someone to start a topic like this for a long time! I'm in a similar situation that is in ways worse and in ways better:

I can't go alone, except on one-stop no photography trips whose main purpose is to collect timetables.

If I go with my parents, it takes a lot of arguing and planning. First, I have to make up an excuse. It can be train-related, it just has to be significant. (LIRR anniversary, service cuts, etc.) Then, unless it's a total excursion trip like the LIRR Greenport trip, I have to make many alternates, both to plan around GO's and in case I get time limits. If it is approved, we go and it works well. If not, I have to find a workaround if it's a big event! Summertime trips are usually approved, while school-year trips (even during vacations) are usually denied.

This is why I always plan things 8-12 months in advance, even though it sounds ridiculous.

I've been waiting for someone to start a topic like this for a long time! I'm in a similar situation that is in ways worse and in ways better:

I can't go alone, except on one-stop no photography trips whose main purpose is to collect timetables.

If I go with my parents, it takes a lot of arguing and planning. First, I have to make up an excuse. It can be train-related, it just has to be significant. (LIRR anniversary, service cuts, etc.) Then, unless it's a total excursion trip like the LIRR Greenport trip, I have to make many alternates, both to plan around GO's and in case I get time limits. If it is approved, we go and it works well. If not, I have to find a workaround if it's a big event! Summertime trips are usually approved, while school-year trips (even during vacations) are usually denied.

This is why I always plan things 8-12 months in advance, even though it sounds ridiculous.

Here's my advice: think of good excuses. Say your teacher told you to buy a certain book at this particular bookstore. You get the money, railfan, and then at some particular point, you buy the book and come back. If asked why you were out so long, say you were enamoured with the reading.

I was fifteen when I was allowed to go solo in the subway. My parents set out a few rules, a little advice and sent me with two tokens and a small lunch.

I've never forgotten my first trip: 70(6) 28th Street to Canal Street; 70(M) Canal Street to Coney Island; 70(N) Coney Island to 14th Street-Union Square and 70(6) 14th Street-Union Square to 28th Street.

Just be honest with your parents. Explain what you would like to do and show them an itinerary of your plans.

Sometimes "just being honest" will make parents place a bigger/tighter stronghold on a child....

All jokes aside, and no insult intended....

How old are you?

I'm not gonna be held part liable if some young kid heeds my advice (going against the wishes/concerns of his parents) and happens to get lost, or something much worse, going on some fantrip....

especially when this is said:

So should i jsut be like "Mom, I wanna go railfanning this saturday which means I'll be taking pics and vids"

...and let her set some ground rules (which I probably won't follow) lol

I'm not even tryna be funny with this, either.....

OK, kid, here's my take on what you should do. I'll reference Forest Glen's post since it has a few noteworthy points in it.

Start with baby steps. One day go with your mom to the transit museum. Show her all of the exhibits and explain that you're interested in trains (just like some people are interested in cars).

Good advice.

Then, go with her on a MOD or Nostalgia trip.

There are no more MOD trips, but understood, nostalgia train...

She'll see that most railfans are decent people (with the exception of guys like Brian Weinberg). Most likely she'll meet some of the guys who post here.

...But here is where you lost me. Sorry freshpond but if your parents see some of the railfans on those trips, they will lock you up and never let you leave the house. I do NOT recommend that at all.

Also in general I don't know how old you are but they are your parents for better or for worse, you should listen to what they have to say. Negotiate if you have to but assuming you are a minor, they put food on your table and keep a roof over your head and that's much more important than chasing trains around. If they don't let you do that, find other things to keep your free time occupied, and if they do, remember that it's important to be balanced. While trains can be an interest, they should be that, not an obsession and that's something a lot of the railiens forget, so you should know that going in.

Oh kid, one more good piece of advice before I shut off the computer for the night...

Never EVER listen to ANYTHING this guy has to say because even if you can understand it, it will be wrong:

|

V

Just ride the Subway with your parents at times and just get facts and datas in your brain so you can just be like more 'expertised' to the Subway. This is how my parents let me do it from LI to NJ and Hudson Valley, because I mastered all the Rail Maps, and can get from Point A to Point B in a breeze. Eventually within couple of weeks, just start to show your independence and just be capable of returning home from places like Grand Central, World Trade Center, Coney Island and such. This is how I done it, but with many years but I am just compressing it. I done several trips with my mom and dad honestly, and when I was younger I literally escape them, to go along on my personal ride on a different Subway Car, but my parents eventually know I am a Rail-Expert of the TriState Region.

The only thing I think you should be worrying about is Central Bronx and Yonkers where a lot of weird people are at, you would most likely better be off with a group of people (like 3+)...

Oh kid, one more good piece of advice before I shut off the computer for the night...

Never EVER listen to ANYTHING this guy has to say because even if you can understand it, it will be wrong:V

Now this is some good advice.

Ok seriously people, why do ya'll keep doing that? If this user isn't bothering you, why are you bothering them? I for one agree with his post because it does make sense. If your parents know that you are an expert with the system, they will feel safer with you riding it! Thats how my mom accepted me riding SEPTA, and even NJT by myself!

Ok seriously people, why do ya'll keep doing that? If this user isn't bothering you, why are you bothering them? I for one agree with his post because it does make sense. If your parents know that you are an expert with the system, they will feel safer with you riding it! Thats how my mom accepted me riding SEPTA, and even NJT by myself!

Seconded.

The kid has lost so many brain cells and is unable to think logically.

lol ;)

Again, if they don't want you to go, you have to decide between the two:

A) Don't go because your parents do not want you to go

:) Make up excuses and go

We're not going to decide for you nor are we going to directly influence you. It is totally up to you to decide to choose between the two.

Remember, once the lying starts, it doesn't stop.

and let her set some ground rules (which I probably won't follow) lol

I hope she never sees this.

IAWTP. Harassing a poster who did nothing to you is Weinberg-esque behavior. You can disagree with Megabus without making condescending remarks.

And INDman and SubwayGuy, if you ever have a problem with me, please email me at my public e-mail: porschestrabe@hotmail.com, or PM me or even PM me on Facebook, it is not okay to just plainly attack me for no reason what-so-ever. I am clear as a clear for lift-off...

Why do you continue to think that we (or anyone for that matter) WANT to talk to you? WE WANT YOU TO STOP POSTING STUPID BS!

This is a kid's life and his relationship with his parents here, and your parents are the only ones who will put up with your BS the rest of your life (until - MAYBE - the day you get married), and here go half of you telling him to lie to his parents just so he can go chase trains around all day.

I just find that to be incredibly short sighted and stupid advice. They are your PARENTS.

Archived