Your Fantasy Station

ctrain

If you could have a subway station anyway you want what would it be like?

I will post mine later when I have more time.:o

you need to place more perameters on the location, or else i could say i want a line that crosses the GWB and travels through route 80 to my house in parsippany, morris county...

but in the city, i can't wait until they finish the second ave line so there's a stop in Chatham square chinatown...

Something like the WMATA stations with platform screen doors...

you need to place more perameters on the location, or else i could say i want a line that crosses the GWB and travels through route 80 to my house in parsippany, morris county...

but in the city, i can't wait until they finish the second ave line so there's a stop in Chatham square chinatown...

Something like the WMATA stations with platform screen doors...

That would be great. It would eliminate some of these suicidal maniacs and inattentive customers who keep traumatizing these hard working T/Os by throwing themselves and falling in front of oncoming trains. I'd imagine operators would have to be 100% accurate with their stops, though.

This is mine

1. Have Trip Planner Touch Screen like thingies on the mezzanine that would help people locate the right train(s) (could be like the size of the iPod Touch)

2. Platform screen doors

3. All station with (accurate!) Train Arrival Boards

4. Separate screens that notify riders of G.Os and how to get around them;)

(C)(T)(R)(A)(1)(N)

If you could have a subway station anyway you want what would it be like?

I will post mine later when I have more time.:P

it would be right under my house with an R32 there waiting for me to drive wherever I want :o

doesnt get any better than that lol

My station:

ADA Accessible Entrance, Exit, Transfer.

Train Arrival Board

Screen Indication Weekend/G.O.

Better PA Announcement on Station Mezz, Platform, elevator.

High-Speed Escalator

High-Speed Elevator (elevator at Firehouse Museum- former fire station)

Platform:

Stylish Benches

Platform Screen Doors

Customers Assistant Booth

Easy Turnstile Access (similar to AirTrain JFK)

My station:

ADA Accessible Entrance, Exit, Transfer.

Train Arrival Board

Screen Indication Weekend/G.O.

Better PA Announcement on Station Mezz, Platform, elevator.

High-Speed Escalator

High-Speed Elevator (elevator at Firehouse Museum- former fire station)

Platform:

Stylish Benches

Platform Screen Doors

Customers Assistant Booth

Easy Turnstile Access (similar to AirTrain JFK)

Before this happens the MTA has to get the existing stations to look, let's say, CLEAN!!!

That would be great. It would eliminate some of these suicidal maniacs and inattentive customers who keep traumatizing these hard working T/Os by throwing themselves and falling in front of oncoming trains. I'd imagine operators would have to be 100% accurate with their stops, though.

But there are problems:

Expensive, not all stations are strait, there are cars of different lengths, malfunctions would lock people on the platforms from the train, vandalism.

So yes it would prevent suiciders, but this system is too antiquated for platform doors.

As for high speed escelators, that would be a hazzard if it is crowded and people can be slow as hell getting off. The speed it runs is 'fine', but people should move to the right if they aren't moving and letting people pass on the left [assuming the escelator is wide enough].

But there are problems:

Expensive, not all stations are strait, there are cars of different lengths, malfunctions would lock people on the platforms from the train, vandalism.

So yes it would prevent suiciders, but this system is too antiquated for platform doors.

That's not entirely true. If the 75-footers had 5 doors per side, their doors would line up perfectly with the doors of the 60-footers. Malfunctions can be kept to a minimum if they are installed by a reliable contractor such as those who installed the doors on other rapid transit systems. Vandalism can also be mitigated if they use those protective mylar screens that they install on the windows of subway cars.

This is what my fantasy station would look like:

• Three exits (two at the ends of the platform, one in the middle)

• Assorted garbage cans, maps and train arrival time boards at each exit, including fare control areas

• Platform screen doors

• 600' in length

• State-of-the-art PA system

• Tiles following the system at South Ferry - they are hung up on the wall so that they can be taken off and cleaned if necessary

More ideas to come later.

Well...

-Airtrain-like screen doors

-3 exits

-750 feet in length, however 75 ft on each side are not used. Distance between entrances on opposite ends is 610 feet.

-35-foot-wide platform

-trash cans every 15 feet

-benches every 15 feet

-train arrival board (displaying next 5 trains)

-weekend G.O. map (like Subway Weekender)

-audible announcements about approaching trains, GOs, etc.

-decorated with things related to local landmarks (i.e. pictures of various paintings at the Met Museum station)

-more to come.

Hollis-188th Street Terminal (F)

* 725 foot long platform

* Entrance and Exit at 188th Street and 190th Street/Hillside Avenue

* Full length mezzanine featuring scenes of Hollis history.

* 25 foot wide island platform

* Small trash can approximately every 21 feet

* Three seat bench aproximately every 26 feet

* Sea Green wall tile

* Nice current subway map and (F) Train Timetable on platform

* Newsstand at 188th Street Entrance/Exit

I'd imagine operators would have to be 100% accurate with their stops, though.

Not really, let's say the platform door opening is 48 inches and the door opening on the car is 32 inches (these are just made up figures for arguments' sake). Ideally, the T/O will stop perfectly, leaving 8 inches of leeway fore and aft of the car marker (stopping on the car marker is the "ideal" stopping position). Eight inches in either direction isn't too precise...

The subway maps inside the station would reflect service at that given time. If the R wasn't running along Queens Blvd for the weekend the yellow line would disappear from that part of the map. (If I could get that on the train cars also great, if not oh well)

The platform signs would be electronic and reflect service at that time.

-trash cans every 15 feet

HELL YES. There's never enough trash cans and their spacing can be really bizarre.

• 2 weeks later...
Platform screen doors are stupid IMO.

Not really. It does a lot, more than you think.

For example, it prevents track fires and 12/9s because people won't be able to throw either trash or themselves into the tracks.

Also, in more modern systems, the PSDs allow for air conditioning in the station so that the cooled air won't escape into the tunnel.

Archived