Second station for 7 train?

GojiMet86

Metro NY

Pg. 2

Second station for 7 train?

The 7 train extension mey be less of a "train to nowhere". Mayor Michael Bloomberg is seriously considering adding a second stop to the 7 once it's extended to 34th Streeet and 11th Avenue. A second stop at 10th Avenue and 41st Street was originally planned for the project, but scrapped due to cost. The extension will be completed in 2013.

I can't find a link for the article online, but it's in today's Metro. I hope they do get to building the stop.

Unless Bloomberg is going to pay for the new station then there really shouldn't be any "considering". He needs to put his money where his mouth is.

I support the (7) extension but there's a line on the East Side that's overdue and is needed than a second station.

If they want they could build a station shell and then finish it when more money comes.

Unless Bloomberg is going to pay for the new station then there really shouldn't be any "considering". He needs to put his money where his mouth is.

I support the (7) extension but there's a line on the East Side that's overdue and is needed than a second station.

If they want they could build a station shell and then finish it when more money comes.

I totally agree. If the (MTA) were to build another station, then taxpayers would most likely be paying for it. I wouldn't think an extra stop on the extension would really be worth the money.

10th Av should be more a priority than the Javits Center imo. If a person is heading to the (7) from the south, then what's the point of the long detour when a person can just ride [yes even the shittty] M34 to the Javits Center?

At least 10th Av would allow people to be free from the hell that is the M42 line.

To be quite honest with you, if another station is to be built on that extension, I recommend Chelsea Piers-23rd Street. I mean, look: sure there will be customers at 10th Avenue, but when you connect a destination that is highly visited yet has inadequate transit options, I think it matters more. I agree with the people that think this project stinks altogether: Bloomberg wants to make his political resume look sweeter, but it's bull. Javits Ctr is more of a seasonal thing, there aren't events every single day.

Look, the tunnels extend to around 26th Street or 25th. It would make even more sense to build a little further and build out another station. Why not do it now than then. Political idiots.

I totally agree. If the (MTA) were to build another station, then taxpayers would most likely be paying for it. I wouldn't think an extra stop on the extension would really be worth the money.

But that would be taxpayer money that would be spent the right way. I don't mind giving money to make sure that another station is built to help serve a neighborhood. For all I know, I might need to go to that area a lot in the next 5 years, that would help me tremendously if the station was built. The subway is to help people get around town, so why not built it in areas where it will help as many people as possible? It'll make the (7) train extension that much more worthwhile.

I do think a Tenth Avenue (7)<7> station might be good:

Though on West 41st Street:

1) If built from Tenth to Ninth Avenues, might help the (A)(C)(E) at 42d Street by also offering service to PABT;

2) Would provide service to the center of Hell's Kitchen and to an attraction like the U.S.S. Intrepid.

Then, if MTR Admiralty's suggestion is considered:

A 23d Street-Tenth Avenue Terminal, a 34th Street station and a Tenth Avenue station would:

1) Provide service to the center of Hell's Kitchen and Chelsea;

2) Also offer service to PABT and provide service to attractions such as the U.S.S. Intrepid, Javits Center and Chelsea Piers.

Plus as Grand Concourse mentioned, the (7)<7> with stations now at Grand Central, Fifth Avenue, Times Square, and Tenth Avenue would help the surface M42.

But money is needed for this.

(Fantasy idea: Extend the (L) from Eighth Avenue to 23d Street-Tenth Avenue to meet the (7)<7> with connecting platforms and you'd nearly have a one-seat ride from Flushing-Main Street to Canarsie-Rockaway Parkway.)

Extend the (L) from Eighth Avenue to 23d Street-Tenth Avenue to meet the (7)<7> with connecting platforms and you'd nearly have a one-seat ride from Flushing-Main Street to Canarsie-Rockaway Parkway.)

I've always had an idea like that myself.

(Fantasy idea: Extend the (L) from Eighth Avenue to 23d Street-Tenth Avenue to meet the (7)<7> with connecting platforms and you'd nearly have a one-seat ride from Flushing-Main Street to Canarsie-Rockaway Parkway.)

But the 7 is built to IRT standards, wouldn't the platforms have to be adjusted to allow the wider B division equipment to fit? That would be expensive, plus the 7 portion could only accommodate B division rolling stock (or gap fillers at each station).

I do think a Tenth Avenue (7)<7> station might be good:

Though on West 41st Street:

1) If built from Tenth to Ninth Avenues, might help the (A)(C)(E) at 42d Street by also offering service to PABT;

2) Would provide service to the center of Hell's Kitchen and to an attraction like the U.S.S. Intrepid.

Then, if MTR Admiralty's suggestion is considered:

A 23d Street-Tenth Avenue Terminal, a 34th Street station and a Tenth Avenue station would:

1) Provide service to the center of Hell's Kitchen and Chelsea;

2) Also offer service to PABT and provide service to attractions such as the U.S.S. Intrepid, Javits Center and Chelsea Piers.

Plus as Grand Concourse mentioned, the (7)<7> with stations now at Grand Central, Fifth Avenue, Times Square, and Tenth Avenue would help the surface M42.

But money is needed for this.

Should have extended the (7) to Joisey:p

I agree with all of these points. The city and the (MTA) both dropped the ball in making this an even better extension than it will be. There should be a subway going straight to Chelsea Piers and the High Line, I don't know why they didn't think that would be a great idea. But then again, Mayor Gloomburg has "tunnel" vision when it comes to that area around the Javits Center. Such foolishness.

sigh, if they were considering the extension down to 23rd street...then maybe this would be less of a train to nowhere...

Exactly.

Should have extended the (7) to Joisey:p

Unfortunately, it will never be happening. MTA is a NY state owned bureaucracy, and NJT is a Joisey thing. For the MTA to cross onto Joisey territory, it might have to involve the federal government. Besides, there's already the PATH. Once there's fare integration with the PATH then I don't see any point of the MTA taking over PATH tunnels or boring into Joisey. That's why I rather focus on addressing transit needs IN the city because there are communities that DESPERATELY need service. As for Joisey, take the PATH.

Guest lance25
Have you ever done this? It is easier to call a cab.

Of course not. My point was that if someone wanted a direct shot from Flushing to Canarsie, they wouldn't want to go all the way to the westside of Manhattan to catch an extended (L) train. Yes, it would be easier to take a cab or a couple of buses to get there faster.

But the 7 is built to IRT standards, wouldn't the platforms have to be adjusted to allow the wider B division equipment to fit? That would be expensive, plus the 7 portion could only accommodate B division rolling stock (or gap fillers at each station).
\

Correct, but in my fantasy idea, they would be two seperate, connected platforms.

Idea: (7)<7> station: 23d to 26th Streets; (L) station: 23rd to 20th Streets. (7)<7> and (L) trains each end at bumper blpcks.

With this, one could also go from Tudor City to Peter Cooper Village-Stuyvesant Town.

Archived