Red Stripes

Robert Bosco

The red stripe is not in remembrance to the greatbird fleet.The red stripe is for handycap people in wheelchirs to help them locate the fold up seats in the A cars...

To my extensive knowledge since the 142A's were introduced in 2001, I certainly recall people stating, that its in fact there in remembrance of the Redbird fleet. Lets wait and ask a Transit Employee.

actually i kinda agree more with trainfan22, if you look @ all the cars with the red stripe, they all have the special handicap seat (aka Seat of Death lol), i doubt it is for the redbirds since i don't think the MTA would give a damn about its subway cars lol (especially the old ones)

Although I am not a transit employee, my son and I went to the 180th street yards in December for a tour with the Transit Museum.

Joe (forgive me, can't remember his last name, real nice guy) the maintenance supervisor stated that the red lines designate cars that have handicap seating areas.

Paul

(R)

Then why Does the R143's and R160's don't have them? There is no handcap marking on the oout side of the A cars were the area is for them.

Robert

Very True, so can that possibly bring back my statement; hence, the red stripe standing out as a remembrance to the RedBirds? This was something I heard on the News from the (MTA) back in 2000-2001 when the 142A'S made their debut...

But the R160s has no type of tribute to R40 slants on it.If the MTA really cared about its older car classes. They would make an R40 slant tribute video and put it on the R160s FIND.Same goes for the R160s on the east.They have no kind of tribute to the R42s on them.

Here could be the reason. Just because they wanted a not so bland look with the brown around the headlights, so they added it along the side slightly, to give it a not so hideous look. They could of done it to the R143 and R160 with black stripe, but the black caps, go with the stainless steel structure. The brown and black of the front of the R142/A, would look odd by itself. That stripe just blends the brown in. I think that's all it's for.

A wheelchair section would have a wheelchair sign on the outside of the car. Not a stripe. ADA requires those signs, not a stripe.

• 2 weeks later...
The R142's have red stripes on their exteriors, close to the cabs. Was the red line put there in memory of the red birds? That's the only logical explanation I can think of. (2)(4)(5)(6)

the 142's are both "a" and "b" cars. the "A" cars, with the operating cabs, and the handicapped seating area, have the red stripe, more of a dotted line, really.

the other cars are "B" cars and have no operating cabs, half the motors, and contain the batteries and such.

sorry, no rememberance of the red birds, (which used to be blue, by the way).

I personally think that the red stripe occured on that train by accident. Maybe for like design purposes and stuff. Another instant is the future M8 cars. They have the stripe in the demo pictures and I think that is by accident too (unless they wanted it to resemble the New Haven line).

Archived