Bus Drivers Jump from NYC Transit to MTA Bus

CPBO

I'm happy to be working n very thankful tp mta bus but I'm not happy with the training,it was a joke.I will say mta bus works harder than ta/oa.an example of that is runs I've worked they only give you 20 min for a meal and working 4 to 5 lines in a single day with deadhead is ridiculous.I did a few trips on the qm15 ,I gotta be honest I'm not impressed with the mci's .I don't like the way they feel as opposed to a regular bus and jfks old orions are pure shit and should not be in service.another thing is the terminology mta bus uses is completely different from transit.a lot of guys at jfk still have the mentality that there working for green lines n not the mta.most guys welcomed us open arms some others are extremely cold to us.I believe that if your working for mta that eventually the salaries and contracts will be the same for ta,oa n mta bus and one day everything will be merged together some won't like that but it is what it is.

The only thing I hate about TA is that they make you drive like a bicth, MTA Bus you can drive at a decent speed, and yes JFK is a junk yard but its better than LGA, Be greatful that you still have a job, I want to work in the MTA some day, but now its hard, Yeah the routes are very heavy used routes especialy the Q10 and Q60. the easiest line is the Q9 and the Q60.

Again I'm greatful for mta bus taking us instead of being on unemployment.ask anybody who from transit that got laid off and they will tell you they are upset over the fact of everything they accomplished for transit washed down the drain when they were laid off and sent to mta bus.add on the fact that the talk is were not going back to transit and that were stuck at mta bus .there's an offer on the table for us to stay at mta bus with our transit salary and not have to do a year of probation again.I live closer to jfk than mtv but it would give up to commute to go back .as for the lines I'm still getting lost.I love the q60,6,8,11 and the qm15 and 37.I do like getting paid every week too. What pisses me the eff off is some of the old green line guys resent us ta guys and are unwilling to help us.so with that said when I'm on a route I'm unsure of when I get there I get there.ultimately my heart belongs at transit I has hired there ,learned there and lived there and was civil service there's no civil service at mta bus and transits pension blows the mta bus pension out of the water.

MTV, if you ever do the QM6 run and need help on the directions don't hesitate to ask. I'm a regular rider of the QM5 and 6 and when the seat nearest the door is available I take it. It usually is since I live at the end of the run in Queens.

supplementary and express bus service should be part time workers absolutely..if the union wont let them then MTA should open up non-union positions then

Spoken like a true outsider. The companies are in trouble because of the working men and women, crawl back under your rock union buster we don't need you.

would you rather the driver get lost and be late?

No but the driver should be able to "know" the route they are trained on.

If they dont know then request for supervisons help, not a customers.

Thats the point.

No but the driver should be able to "know" the route they are trained on.

If they dont know then request for supervisons help, not a customers.

Thats the point.

fair enough, but if someone asked me for help, I'm not going to say no.

If it College Point route it is best to help driver because you could show them tricks as well as official route.

Sure show the Bus Op tricks so this could get him what a metal or fired

look if you wanna suggest fine but don't start to be Bus driver jr

Road Ops is around and Command Ctr is there for the bus operators to call upon if needed .

If it College Point route it is best to help driver because you could show them tricks as well as official route.

That would be the last thing I'd do. I would never want anyone to get fired for taking a shortcut.

Sure show the Bus Op tricks so this could get him what a metal or fired

look if you wanna suggest fine but don't start to be Bus driver jr

Road Ops is around and Command Ctr is there for the bus operators to call upon if needed .

Thats True what you are saying , i was on the m22 line from michael j quill and an elderley woman came on the bus and the driver was new and she directed him on the routes and im like huh shes not supposed to do that .

I was one of the ta guys laidoff from mtv.they offered us a b/o position with mta bus in 4 depots jfk,far rock,east chester and lagaurdia. I went to jfk.our pension was frozen with ta .at mta bus we are back to a year of probation,and a new id.me personally never had a problem with mta bus.any mta personal that got on my bus no matter the divison or title I showed respect to. So for u ignorant idiots who see any difference between ta,oa or mta bus is an idiot.we all wear the same uniform.respect should be given to all mta employees.I respect all.now when ta starts to recall I am on the list high on senority.we got here Thursday july 5th for 3 days of line training to be ready to be on our own that following Tuesday.jfk has a lot of lines and deadhead trips and to learn all that in four days is bullshit.so if ur on a jfk bus the last week or this week and they miss a turn or don't know the route that's why the b/o screwed up.I myself got lost in jfk with a standing load.when ta calls I'm out.also I lost my rate of pay from ta when I got to jfk,I'm now back at starting pay.

A B.o that i knew out of ulmer pk he had the highest seniority and they so called said that he had no seniority and they transfered him to a diffrent depot i dont know what building , but mta bus is gonna become the best company because they have it good now and nyct bus company some people are getting laid off and they get hired also , so its ( They hire you and then they wanna fire you )

There is nothing wrong with helping, but you shouldn't be trying to show a b/o any tricks.

Thats True what you are saying , i was on the m22 line from michael j quill and an elderley woman came on the bus and the driver was new and she directed him on the routes and im like huh shes not supposed to do that .

Why is she not supposed to do that? I've done it plenty of times in my day. If they don't know the route and you do, why would you just sit there and let them continue off course?

Why is she not supposed to do that? I've done it plenty of times in my day. If they don't know the route and you do, why would you just sit there and let them continue off course?

I dont know the whole route , and i said to them both while they were talking i said ( excuse me not to interupt but there are dispatchers and there are service for the routes that you are having trouble with and your not supposed to listen to the coustomers because they can guide you the wrong way and the bus driver said okay thanks so he called for help and he pulled out a map of the route that he was operating on but i was getting off of the bus and the lady cursed me out

I dont know the whole route , and i said to them both while they were talking i said ( excuse me not to interupt but there are dispatchers and there are service for the routes that you are having trouble with and your not supposed to listen to the coustomers because they can guide you the wrong way and the bus driver said okay thanks so he called for help and he pulled out a map of the route that he was operating on but i was getting off of the bus and the lady cursed me out

True. I can't argue with that, but one time I was on a Canarsie bound B60. The driver was supposed to turn left on Glenwood off Rock Pkwy. He was about to call Command, but if I had not said anything, he would have passed the street as he waited for directions. Sometimes a driver may let his pride get in the way of what he really should be doing. I was on on an (L) shuttle once and the driver had no clue as to where he was going. It was obvious, because after the bus in front of us got away, he began to look lost. He was a Quill b/o and didn't know Brooklyn at all. We began to talk, and I told him I didn't know where to go either. he said, "oh well I know I gotta turn somewhere up here. If I go the wrong way, somebody will yell at me!" The first thing he should have done was call it in, but he didn't want to.

True. I can't argue with that, but one time I was on a Canarsie bound B60. The driver was supposed to turn left on Glenwood off Rock Pkwy. He was about to call Command, but if I had not said anything, he would have passed the street as he waited for directions. Sometimes a driver may let his pride get in the way of what he really should be doing. I was on on an (L) shuttle once and the driver had no clue as to where he was going. It was obvious, because after the bus in front of us got away, he began to look lost. He was a Quill b/o and didn't know Brooklyn at all. We began to talk, and I told him I didn't know where to go either. he said, "oh well I know I gotta turn somewhere up here. If I go the wrong way, somebody will yell at me!" The first thing he should have done was call it in, but he didn't want to.

Oh , well he should call it in just incase if something does go wrong he has backup and proof that he called it in , he should of did that now he could of made a mistake , see like me i want to be a bus operator when i get older and i have good grades and stuff but its good to know your stuff about transit before you become an operator and stuff so i want to get to know the routes and stuff , if im with my friends riding the train or bus we never get lost because i guide them at times and they dont know anything so they call me the transit man lol

There was layoffs for ta (all probationary hired aug 3rd 2009.thru the year) and mabstoa operators who had 2 years and 3 months on the job.mta bus does things totally different than ta does.mta bus during a regular shift can make trips on four to five different routes including deadheads.ta trips don't do that .mta bus doesn't have paddles they have work cards.two different worlds under one name brand.

Thats why I love MTA Bus.If I can be a BO I'd drive for MTA Bus.No schedules whatsoever.As soon as you leave a terminal your job is to get to the other terminal before the time on your work card says you have to leave the other end.In other words,JUST DRIVE!!!(Bx6)(M2)(M3)(M4)(M5)(M100)(M101)

Thats why I love MTA Bus.If I can be a BO I'd drive for MTA Bus.No schedules whatsoever.As soon as you leave a terminal your job is to get to the other terminal before the time on your work card says you have to leave the other end.In other words,JUST DRIVE!!!(Bx6)(M2)(M3)(M4)(M5)(M100)(M101)

So you just begin from your start point & go and it doesnt matter what time you arrive and no schedules and no paddle reports too ? , nyct has paddle reports and schedule times but if theres events going on then it doesnt matter what time you arrive , but mta bus is beginning to sound good to me

would you rather the driver get lost and be late?

I would rather the Operator follow procedure and call BCC for assistance. I understand it can be tough to drive a bus in an area you are not familiar with but there are better ways than asking passengers for help. If a B/O isn't sure of a route all MTA depots have books with route instructions and all depots have copiers too,so you don't even need to write the instructions down.

Ah,I guess you miss the point of being a transit service provider. We have routes to follow to provide service to customers in an orderly and timely manner. Unfortunately traffic and other factors affect service but short cuts are not the answer. I can understand how you feel that driving a big ole bus fast and going wherever you feel like is exciting,it was for me for 21 years,but ultimately the job can be a buzz kill because we are there to follow routes and rules and get from point A to point B safely. Sorry for the dose of reality,I really am.

So you just begin from your start point & go and it doesnt matter what time you arrive and no schedules and no paddle reports too ? , nyct has paddle reports and schedule times but if theres events going on then it doesnt matter what time you arrive , but mta bus is beginning to sound good to me

From the LGA depot website they show the summer picks and all of the runs. Pretty sure it does matter if a B/O is running hot or not. There is a schedule to follow. They(white shirts)are out there watching you and making sure you are doing your job correctly.

From the LGA depot website they show the summer picks and all of the runs. Pretty sure it does matter if a B/O is running hot or not. There is a schedule to follow. They(white shirts)are out there watching you and making sure you are doing your job correctly.

Oh lgaunion ? i saw that i just didnt really know all the info & there are some road ops on the road to make sure everything is done properly

Archived