Bus Drivers Jump from NYC Transit to MTA Bus

CPBO

I just want to say that I am very happy to hear that the TA/OA drivers who were let go were able to land on their feet at MTA Bus.

Listen, the pay might not be the highest and the pension not the best, but IT'S A JOB! In this economy, it isn't easy to get one...especially with benefits and any sort of a pension.

You go to MTA Bus, kick in a few extra quid into the 401K, and you'll be fine come retirement.

Best thing to do is stop worrying about what you don't have and start earning some bread. :tup:

Really. That many left, huh.. I don't understand the difference in pay for different depots... Guess it's a contract thing, just don't make sense to me.

Would you mind telling me (even in pm) about the benefit package & what differs from OA in it?

I'm still considering making the switch.. I have one more week left for my hypothetical vacation.. lol Then I need to start seriously looking for work.. I am seriously thinking about Peter Pan.. Pay is less.. But there is OT.. You drive a coach and I'm sure you don't get the stress from the passengers like you do driving local..

If that doesn't pan out, or the benefit package isn't too bad at MTA bus, then I will call and see if I can switch over.

I was trying to see if I could go to a different field.. I have experience as a cabinet maker, carpenter and auto mechanic.. But there's a number of reasons why I chose not to.. So looks like driving is what I got left.

Anyway, good luck over there and maybe I'll see you on the road..

Peter Pan....are you out of your mind? Work for the same agency that you have been working for...end of story! If they never call you back you will still at least have a pension..........most people working today have a 401k and no match from the company they work for.....so you are still ahead of the game!! I got called for T/A and I was at C.P. for 4 months and I did not leave it was a big decision for me and if you people remember I posted way back when I got here to move or not and If I remember most told me to stay at MTABC....My move to T/A would have meant another year of probation and I was not willing to do it....but it was my decision.....you got laid off and it is your choice.....if I was anybody and I had a choice to move to MTABC or get laid off or in this economy go find another job.......MTABC would be my new home!!

I here ya.. And everyone else that gave their input.. I never said, nor insinuated that I was "above" MTA Bus. That's horseshit. I believe, last time I checked, I have a right to compare things like pay & benefits when comparing companies to work for.

If there is a chance I will get called back in October to OA, why would I go to MTABC and have to start all over.? I was just trying to be clear on what "Noflexdont" said.. IF he meant that people that were laid off from TA & OA were going to be getting called back to their old TA & OA jobs come September, or if he meant they would be calling the laid off TA guys, b4 the laid off OA guys, for the MTA Bus jobs... That's all.

Union said TA will be called first(sept) once TA all come back they will call OA (October November). I think we will be called for January system pick. I also hear the TA/OA B/O's are eating that OT up. If everyone just stopped taking the OT they would have to call people back sooner but we are our on worse enemy. Shit there are guys there that dont want to give 5 dollars of there weekly pay to give the laid off workers health care. If you think about it, would you give 00.35%-1%of your salary up too help a laid off worker. quite a few are saying no, what scumbags. Guys spend that much on munchies daily during work.

I'm very grateful at being able to work, if anything I'm telling my fellow laid off brothers and sister to come join MTA Bus. They have open arms for us. I mean it sucks that we got laid off. I was making 25 a hour at 45 hours a week and will be taking a pay cut. I had 2 years 3 months on the job. Now I have no seniority , probation again,no health coverage for 3 months,and to deal with people that might not like me cause I was from the OA and that my fellow B/O's. Knightrider you have to understand that people dont like change, Especially in this situation. Some people are taking this deal cause they must put food on the table, must keep the lights on and must keep the roof over there head, must ect... Also this is public forum we are able too voice our opinions just like you did. Do you think I want to drive for MTA bus,no am I yes. I was quite happy at OA, remember the Mta made this happen. No no Albany made this happen and that goon Walder. Once the OA calls I will join them, but until then MTA bus will be home plain and simple. May be if you had a taste of the OA/TA you might feel quite different.

#1 we had a city pension#2 better pay#3 private pension #4 lower pay

I also hear the TA/OA B/O's are eating that OT up. If everyone just stopped taking the OT they would have to call people back sooner but we are our on worse enemy. Shit there are guys there that dont want to give 5 dollars of there weekly pay to give the laid off workers health care. If you think about it, would you give 00.35%-1%of your salary up too help a laid off worker. quite a few are saying no, what scumbags. Guys spend that much on munchies daily during work.

I hear ya bro. You are 100% right. I would have given double per week if the shoe were on the other foot.. That's nothing.. But, the longer we are out, the more OT there is for them. THat's probably the biggest fault of this union, the members just don't stick together. People just out for themselves, n that's it. But whatcha' gonna do. Such is life. Thanks for clearing that up for me, btw and for the info.:cool:

i love how their firing people and hiring people at the same time lol

last time i checked, Long Island Bus is hiring bus drivers..go figure

LIB hasnt hired no new drivers in months until this week.

A class of 9 LABO (part timers) started training.

there have been no full time classes in months. as people retire those spots just stay open or get put into other runs once the new picks starts.

i dont get the mta, hire part timers ,promote dispatchers but stay we will not fund LIB no more..

LIB hasnt hired no new drivers in months until this week.

A class of 9 LABO (part timers) started training.

there have been no full time classes in months. as people retire those spots just stay open or get put into other runs once the new picks starts.

i dont get the mta, hire part timers ,promote dispatchers but stay we will not fund LIB no more..

I'm sure Walder would rather have plenty of part timers.

An operator on a big paying job becomes one part timer on the AM, one part timer on the PM so swing time and benefits are not paid. A win-win for Walder and company.

I'm sure Walder would rather have plenty of part timers.

An operator on a big paying job becomes one part timer on the AM, one part timer on the PM so swing time and benefits are not paid. A win-win for Walder and company.

i know what you mean. no outside full timers ever get hired. they get promoted from labo and paratransit operators.

a part timer only can do so much work. full time runs have been getting increased pay over some picks.

Congrats on the call back.let us know if you can only pick into TA depots or If you can go to OA also how many are there with you when you go to Livingston street. A new problem has arisen for me. DSNY is going to be hiring come September-October. Do i make the switch to start with no seniority, year of probation, less pay and no OT but 20 year pension. Or go back to OA (if they call us back) with 2years 3months time, least then a year too top pay and no probation but have to do 22 year and 9 months. MTA is also saying they want 0% raises over the next three years and what if they decide to lay off again. Any input would be appreciated. Sorry to get a bit off topic

Congrats on the call back.let us know if you can only pick into TA depots or If you can go to OA also how many are there with you when you go to Livingston street. A new problem has arisen for me. DSNY is going to be hiring come September-October. Do i make the switch to start with no seniority, year of probation, less pay and no OT but 20 year pension. Or go back to OA (if they call us back) with 2years 3months time, least then a year too top pay and no probation but have to do 22 year and 9 months. MTA is also saying they want 0% raises over the next three years and what if they decide to lay off again. Any input would be appreciated. Sorry to get a bit off topic
Man if I were you I would go to Sanitation The TRASH don't talk back and or lodge complaints against you they are the only city agency that gets paid weekly and you don't have to worry about people breathing down your back or the dispatcher not putting you in place you can stop anywhere along the route to use the restroom it's a win win good luck man

DSNY has an 18 month probation period, about 10% of new hires get fired or they have their probation extended. They have unlimited sick which is broken down into different categories,as well as paid holidays. You get one rotating weekday and every Sunday off unless of course it snows.

You will be taking a pay cut for sure if you switch over to DSNY, around $33K yr base pay to start. They say it only gets better though, the beginning is always the hardest.

They have supervisors watching over you, as well as random drug/alcohol tests. From what I hear is that if you know people in high places you can get away with a lot of stuff. As a probie you will most likely be working in a south bronx garage where nobody wants to be at unless you have a hook that can get you into a garage that you want to go to.

What concerns me is why are they delaying the upcoming classes,I heard that there was a meeting with the mayor and a few higher ups from DSNY a few weeks ago and no final decision was made about having a class in the near future. We all know what Bloomberg wants from the city unions(Tier 5,increased health care contributions,etc). Next fall the current contract expires,it will get nasty to say the least. You can get laid off with DSNY also,last time was in 2003,but they were all called back within a year I believe.

What sucks is that you can't transfer over your time with the MTA over to DSNY since mabstoa isn't civil service and isn't part of NYCERS. If you were coming from TA then your time would count on the back end regarding your pension.

i spoke to soneone in my depot who was on layoff he will be going down to 180 livigston this week and he is a ta operator with only 6 weeks left on probation so that means he has only 10 and a half months on the job and he is coming back so maybe all the ta b/o are coming back this week

• 1 month later...

Back with nycta sept 7th been at zerega all week.we picked depots on wed. Ill be going to fresh pond depot I was unable to pick mtv. It wasn't available. All atu people returned to their depots.local 100 b/o's we given the choice of fresh pond,126 st,mjq,ulmer park,grand ave,jackie gleason and flatbush.I live 5 min from fresh pond .

IMO you would be crazy to not go to DSNY if they call you. Highest paid NYC Civil service worker and 20 yr pension.

DSNY isn't the highest paid civil service job. They do well only with a lot of OT. They are still in a hiring freeze. Those rumors about them having 2 or 3 classes in the fall are just that. It's getting late. Deputy Chief Stephen Goldsmith wants cuts first before any new hiring even though they are under headcount. Last DSNY class was on August/08.

IMO you would be crazy to not go to DSNY if they call you. Highest paid NYC Civil service worker and 20 yr pension.

IF they called i might have went, Ill be at top pay April 28 next year and OT is built in to our work. Everyone works 43-46 hours a week normally. i know if i picked up a few days of OT i could make 65K easy and that with almost 3 yrs of service.

As far as what LexAveExp5, I might as well work with garbage. Bus are filthy and infested with roaches.

Back with nycta sept 7th been at zerega all week.we picked depots on wed. Ill be going to fresh pond depot I was unable to pick mtv. It wasn't available. All atu people returned to their depots.local 100 b/o's we given the choice of fresh pond,126 st,mjq,ulmer park,grand ave,jackie gleason and flatbush.I live 5 min from fresh pond .

Welcome back brother! is that mean you guys gonna start today or this coming sun which the new pick starts?

You might have. i was the Heavyset white dude.Im no long in army shape like my profile pic(LOL) I think tomorrow we will be picking what is still available before the pick goes into effect.This is what i will be looking for in this order if available. Q55,Q54,Q58,B26,B20,B52,B38,B54,in that order. remember most if not all these line interline and some with other depots lines to(B47,B60)

Archived