Do You Remember The Time When?

Do you remember the time when the (:o ran to 168th Street-Broadway and the (C) ran to Bedford Park Boulevard, the (C) ran R27/R30s, Dean Street was a stop on the (S) Franklin Avenue and the (L) ran R42s?

I remember the R30s on the (C) (and I still miss them). I believe the R27s were gone by then. I never got to ride to the Dean Street station, but I remember how dilapidated the (S) was.

Do you remember the time when the (:o ran to 168th Street-Broadway and the (C) ran to Bedford Park Boulevard, the (C) ran R27/R30s, Dean Street was a stop on the (S) Franklin Avenue and the (L) ran R42s?

Everything but the (C) running those trains.

Do you remember the time when the (:D ran to 168th Street-Broadway and the (C) ran to Bedford Park Boulevard, the (C) ran R27/R30s, Dean Street was a stop on the (S) Franklin Avenue and the (L) ran R42s?

I remember all of the above. I never quite understood why the (:( and (C) exchanged terminals. It wasn't like the (N) and (R) in which the latter needed a yard.

I remember all of the above. I never quite understood why the (:D and (C) exchanged terminals. It wasn't like the (N) and (R) in which the latter needed a yard.

I think it's because the (:( doesn't run on weekends. If it stayed in that format, the (A) express was forced to switch to the local to stop at 155th St and 163rd St-Amsterdam Av.

I think it's because the (:D doesn't run on weekends. If it stayed in that format, the (A) express was forced to switch to the local to stop at 155th St and 163rd St-Amsterdam Av.

No, this switch happened in the late 90s if I recalled properly when the (D) still went down Brighton and the (:( went on West End, so during the time they both ran at all times and (B) ran shuttles at night. Not exactly sure why they switched but whatevers. I do remember now riding the (B) to 168 St when they suspended the (C) service and the (B) ran a R32s and R38s as if I recall correctly.

Didn't the (:D go to Queensbridge-21 St on Weekends so that the (C) would still be the only local train? I don't know why the switch occured.

It did until the IND 63rd was always under construction and it was cut back to 57th/6Ave until it was sent to 145 St on weekends also.

Didn't the (B) go to Queensbridge-21 St on Weekends so that the (C) would still be the only local train? I don't know why the switch occured.

No, this switch happened in the late 90s if I recalled properly when the (D) still went down Brighton and the (B) went on West End, so during the time they both ran at all times and (B) ran shuttles at night. Not exactly sure why they switched but whatevers. I do remember now riding the (B) to 168 St when they suspended the (C) service and the (B) ran a R32s and R38s as if I recall correctly.

From what I was told if memory serves correctly, the switch between the two lines was done for sake of simplicity in operations on the Bronx side for two reasons.

First, when (C) trains ran on the Concourse Line during rush / peak hours, two supts if I'm not mistaken, were needed to supervise operations along that part of the line - one for 6th Avenue service (for (D) trains) and another for 8th Avenue service (for (C) trains). Switching the (B) and (C) lines along the Concourse Line meant you only needed one supt to oversee operations, since both (B) and (D) trains run along 6th Avenue.

Second, also if memory serves, the switch was to facilitate OPTO (One Person Train Operation); using an R32 or R38 (C) train along the Concourse for example would've required the train operator to leave the cab and utilize controls away from the operating cab if he or she had to open the doors at a station like, say, Tremont Ave. (C) train equipment did not have full-width cabs.

With a (B) train, much of that line's equipment utilized (at least when the switch occured) R68/68As, which enabled the train operator to perform OPTO without leaving his or her cab; (B) line equipment utilized full-width cabs.

Hope this helps.

-MF'86

<4>

Yeah, I remember it all, too! The Dean Street Station on the Franklin Av Shuttle was really old & in terrible condition. It had an old wooden platform. Ridership at the station was really low and it was a fare beater's paradise. Those were some of the reasons they shuttered it. I'll come a few even better on the throwback side. The AA, EE, GG, RR, LL, H, the 9th Avenue Shuttle, the K Train and the E Train when it used to run express down Fulton street thru Brooklyn to the Rockaways. (E)

Archived