RTS Low Floor

East New York

I was talking about Millennium Transit Service to someone and I assumed that most had seen the pics of the RTS Extreme Low Floor demo bus. I guess I was wrong. So here are the pics. I would love to hear everyone's opinion on how they think the bus looks! Wouldn't you love to see this on the streets of New York? These photos were taken at the MTS facility in Roswell, NM. The bus has the blue stripe because MTS would love nothing more than to supply (MTA) with LF's in the future. Enjoy!

MTARTSExtreme2.jpg

MTARTSExtreme1.jpg

Thanks for posting those photos, It would really be nice if we had some of those in NYC.

No prob, glad you like!

To me, they look like toy models...

Nice pics tho !

Thanks! I would have swore they were photoshoped if I had not got them directly from MTS. It's actually a 42.5 footer

Some good pictures!

Thanks!

Nice photos but for some reason I don't like the overall look of the bus. Its like a boxy cylinder :D Thanks for sharing.

No problem. The only change actually is the front clip, which is just like TTC's Novas. They needed the wide front door in order to accomidate the wheel chair ramp, and the t-drive. Not to forget the extra 2.5 added feet. The rest is all RTS!

• 1 month later...
I'm suprised we don't have any of those here in Dallas for DART. But, I think we have NABI's for that.

It is actually still in developement and was supposed to come out when Boston placed an order in 2006. The order was canceled because of an accounting error, and they went with New Flyer. So that was a major financial blow to Millennium Transit. To date no one has ordered one because they (Millennium) are having supplier problems. Not only that, but all versions of the RTS are only available in Low Emissions Diesel. This poses a problem as most transit agencies are going with CNG and hybrid buses these days. Not only that, but they need someone like me on there marketing team, because I don't have a clue as to what they are doing. I keep in regular contact with the VP of the company, but they have been idled for a few months now. I'm really worried that they will suffer the same fate as all the previous RTS makers if they don't get the Low Floor out on the streets. I think Millennium has started to give up on their dream of a future order from NYCT. They have 2 LF demos. a 40fter, and a 42.5fter like the one in this thread. What they need to do is send them to MTA to see what they think can be improved. Until then, they will just stay in limbo like they are now. But I still have faith the the RTS will come back in full force one day. At least I hope and pray it does.

WFD?

:confused:

Here in Dallas, most of our fleet is RTS's by NovaBUS.

guide-bus.jpg

Yeah thats it. WFD= Wide Front Door with the wheel chair lift in front.

Aww now the RTS is getting ruined? :( I wish the headlights were back where they were in the 90's. I am really not looking forward to the future.

This is the design they used for the new low floor. It has actually been around since 1989, but was unpopular, and the only TA's to make large orders for them was DART and TTC. DART and TTC RTS's also have the vertical lights in the back.

• 1 month later...
Kool!... the front just looks a lil funny. But its cool

Yeah it's like the Dallas RTS-06.

Nice....I hope it sounds like the TMC RTS-06 buses. Also would love to see them as a demo for (MTA) New York City Bus and/or (MTA) Bus. I hope it lives up to its name

That would be nice, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. It won't sound the same either because Detroit Diesels are no longer an option.

Archived