7 Years Ago Today August 14 2003...

Bracamonte

The 2003 blackout occurred. Much of the northeastern US and parts of Canada were without power. The blackout started at 4:15pm here in New York and ended in the evening of August 15. What were your experience during the blackout?

Pure ANGER.

Was on my way to a dentist office on Kings Highway when the lights went out. Also my last year living with my Mom and now late Dad as they would that Sept. retire and move to Calif.

Trying to get home via bus to Sea Gate/Coney Island and every B68 bus passed us by. Finally got on a B82 bus to Stillwell Terminal on a sardine type crowding.

Remember listening to WCBS-FM and 1010 WINS all night on battery powered walkman.:eek:

Ah, the blackout. One of the weirdest, hottest, most boring, yet one of the best times of my life. I was on the computer writing stories and watching TV when the blackout occured. At first, Mom and I didn't know what happened, so we looked across the hal to see the place blacked out. Then, with a battery-powered walkman, we listened in and found out the whole city and most of the east coast had no power.

So, what did we do? We listened to the radio and spent the day trying to stay cool and not feeling so bored. Mom actually took pictures of our house in the blackout and even recorded a video of it. We even toured a little bit of our neighborhood just to see the traffic flow during the blackout. It was cool and a little scary ith the traffic lights being off. Because of the humidity, I didn't get to sleep until about 4 AM. We actually didn't get our power back until about 3 PM when a friend of mine and myself were playing a game of "War."

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

I was watching TV, then everyrhing went out. I thought my TV blew out so I went outside (remote still in my hand lol) and saw that everyone had no power. All in all, that day was fun. I went to McDonalds where they was giving out free cheeseburgers cuz they couldn't keep them and some people went looting

I was with my mom and brother at the Manhattan Mall when it happened. People were, like, "Free McDonalds!", kind of like what Fresh Pond said. However, because the trains weren't running, we had to walk all the way from Herald Square to Ditmars. People were trying to wait for the buses, but they were full. We had to walk across the Queensboro bridge.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

That Day was Freaking Fun Everyone on my block of my projects was Raiding the stores and i was outside drinkin water to keep cool. With My fam we sang kum-baya and had candles burning.

Archived