North & South bound on the new (M)

VIP

Can Anyone Explain why the (M) Via Qns Blvd Southbound Reads "Jamaica Local" and Northbound Reads "Queens Blvd Local" ? i can sort of see why they read differently but the (M) doesnt Go via Jamaica whatsover. if anything the (J) should have that programed. Thanks in Advanced.

I still say it's potentially misleading, and not entirely correct.

The Jamaica el really is the line past Bway Jct. and especially after Cypress Hills, where it is actually on Jamaica Avenue. The section from Marcy to Bwy Jct. is really the Bway-Bklyn line. And according to old BMT usage, from Marcy to Myrtle, and then along Myrtle would be Myrtle Local.

The funny thing about it is that this aspect of the line is what has always run, and it did not say "Jamaica Local" when it was coming from Nassau St. So it looks like that new designation has something to do with the route change, and you would think it would just as well apply to heading the other direction, where it is the local to the (E) and (F) which also head towards Jamaica. So it looks awkward heading the other way on Queens Blvd. It might also make it look like i now travels further along with the (J) instead of Myrtle.

The (M) has nothing to do with Jamaica, and should not be displayed with it, unless it is an alternate reading that does have the (M) running on the (J) line. J-Jamaica; M-Myrtle.

So I believe it should be changed to either BWAY-BKLYN LOCAL or MYRTLE LOCAL.

I would say to use Myrtle Local, but when lines are referred to as "local", usually, there is a line that runs express. There is no Myrtle Express.

What would be the least confusing would be to use "Queens Blvd Local" for both lines.

By the way, on the (N), why does it read "Sea Beach Express", instead of "4th Avenue Express"? It could say "via Astoria", "Broadway Local', "4th Avenue Express", and "via Sea Beach".

But the thing is that the (J) goes express where it has the chance to (Myrtle-Marcy), so you can't count it as local.
ok but when the (Z) is eliminated, then what? the (J) practically goes local most of the time in queens...

Guest lance25

Even if the (Z) were to be eliminated, it wouldn't require a change in the signs. The last time the electronic signs were changed on the trains (before June) was in 2005 on the R142/As from Brooklyn Local/Express to Eastern Pkwy Lcl/Exp and Bronx Local/Express to Pelham Lcl/Exp.

Brooklyn Local? That signage could fit the (2), (3), (:P, (C), (D), (F), (G), (J), (L), (M), (N), (Q), (R), and (Z) lines.:eek:

I think you are forgetting that the (D) and (N) run 4th Avenue Express and the (;) is meant to run Brighton Express.

ok but when the (Z) is eliminated, then what? the (J) practically goes local most of the time in queens...

But there is no Jamaica Express on that portion. Plus, the (J)/(Z) run skip-stop service, so the (J) is as much of an express as the (Z).

I would say to use Myrtle Local, but when lines are referred to as "local", usually, there is a line that runs express. There is no Myrtle Express.

What would be the least confusing would be to use "Queens Blvd Local" for both lines.

By the way, on the (N), why does it read "Sea Beach Express", instead of "4th Avenue Express"?

It's precisely the old BMT principle I was drawing on. "Express/local" in that case does not refer to the line itself (myrtle or Sea Beach), but rather the trunk or semi-trunk line it does run express on. Sea Beach is local or express based on how it runs on 4th Ave. (59th-Pacific). So likewise, Myrtle would be local or express based on Marcy-Myrtle. So there would be a line that runs express, though it is not currently sheduled to run.

It's precisely the old BMT principle I was drawing on. "Express/local" in that case does not refer to the line itself (myrtle or Sea Beach), but rather the trunk or semi-trunk line it does run express on. Sea Beach is local or express based on how it runs on 4th Ave. (59th-Pacific). So likewise, Myrtle would be local or express based on Marcy-Myrtle. So there would be a line that runs express, though it is not currently sheduled to run.

I still think it's illogical, but I guess this is the same as arguing about how retarded the English language's rules are; some things are just the way they are.

If you've even been on a 57 Street–7 Avenue-bound (N) train, the announcement states that it's a Manhattan-bound (N)local train even though it runs express from 59 Street to 57 Street–7 Avenue. That's kind of odd since it skips the most stops out of any possible (N) routes (except via West End express).

So you're saying that the (N)'s that drop out at 57th are express all the way? Never knew what they did with those.

Well, for those, the crew should choose an express program on the TOD, and it should say express. If it doesn't, then that's an outright mistake. (I remember other places where something like that happened).

I think Eric was on the right track before. The elevated line from Marcy was called the Broadway-Brooklyn line in the past. Any train that ran on the line, 168th St, Canarsie, Metropolitan Ave, or Eastern Parkway bound was a Broadway-Brooklyn train period. Since the Broadway-Brooklyn name was dropped the line has been called the Jamaica line in it's entirety. No more Myrtle-Chambers, Broadway Short line, QJ, RJ or other nomenclature. Just Jamaica. Growing up in Brooklyn we called anything from Alabama Ave( Brooklyn) to 168th St the Jamaica line so I guess that someone in a shiny suit somewhere decided to call the whole line the Jamaica line and do away with any other descriptions. I still say Brighton, Sea Beach, West End, 4th Ave and Myrtle line but the (MTA) has it's own way of naming lines, so be it.

I would say to use Myrtle Local, but when lines are referred to as "local", usually, there is a line that runs express. There is no Myrtle Express."

There is no Jamaica Express, so i guess this defeats your theory on naming a local when there is an express :P:confused:

What about the (J)/(Z)?

That would be the Jamaica skip-stop....

I'm going to go out on a limb and just say it's probably easier for the (MTA) and commuters for it to be the Jamaica el, as opposed to splitting the name between boroughs, or sections and referring to a part of it as the "Myrtle el" or whatever the old name is.

There is no Jamaica Express, so i guess this defeats your theory on naming a local when there is an express :P:confused:

2 Avenue won't have an express either, but they're already calling the (T) the 2 Avenue local.

Archived