Umm...Really??? (Q30 question)

Infamous85

Okay so for the past week I've spent about half my commute at bus stops. On Thursday I finally look at the Q30's schedule to see that only 5 buses come in an hour, I'm like "WTF?" I don't remember it being like that at all. One morning I spent about 40 minutes at the Q30 bus stop because every bus that came (2 buses) was packed to the brim and just kept going. How does a bus as crowded as the Q30 only come 5 times an hour? Everytime I get on the bus it's super packed. This is crazy.

Also just a little unrelated, has anyone else noticed that some of JAM's buses are tagged with those huge permanent markers? I've seen about 7 NG's & 2 RTS's tagged with that pseudo graffiti.

Also how is it that like 2-3 Q4's & Q5's come before one Q85 shows up (Southbound), that's really starting to eat away at me lol. Seeing buses with seats available that keep coming and like a couple of people get on while the Q85 is nowhere to be found and when it comes it's crowded. Doesn't it carry the same amount of people if not more than the Q4 & Q5? Shouldn't they all have the same amount of buses?

Are these some special schedule's? Service cuts? Etc. I really can't keep being late every morning so I'd like to be able to plan accordingly.

A bus that comes five times an hour is an average of every twelve minutes. Some routes are even more frequent than that yet there's no way in hell you can squeeze your way onto the bus.

Best advice is to leave earlier and allow yourself some time so you can manage to get onto the bus (don't count on a seat though! :)).

Also how is it that like 2-3 Q4's & Q5's come before one Q85 shows up (Southbound), that's really starting to eat away at me lol. Seeing buses with seats available that keep coming and like a couple of people get on while the Q85 is nowhere to be found and when it comes it's crowded. Doesn't it carry the same amount of people if not more than the Q4 & Q5? Shouldn't they all have the same amount of buses?

It's funny because the Q85 has the third most ridership out of Jamaica Depot

Q17, Q5, Q85, Q4, Q3, Q30, Q77, Q84, Q42 (from most to least ridership)

Okay so for the past week I've spent about half my commute at bus stops. On Thursday I finally look at the Q30's schedule to see that only 5 buses come in an hour, I'm like "WTF?" I don't remember it being like that at all. One morning I spent about 40 minutes at the Q30 bus stop because every bus that came (2 buses) was packed to the brim and just kept going. How does a bus as crowded as the Q30 only come 5 times an hour? Everytime I get on the bus it's super packed. This is crazy.

Also just a little unrelated, has anyone else noticed that some of JAM's buses are tagged with those huge permanent markers? I've seen about 7 NG's & 2 RTS's tagged with that pseudo graffiti.

Are these some special schedule's? Service cuts? Etc. I really can't keep being late every morning so I'd like to be able to plan accordingly.

The Q85 mostly mirrors the Q5, so it would make sense that one of those routes were less frequent (plus the parts that the Q85 runs alone are kinda suburb areas, where people have their own means of transport ie. cars).

The Q30 is half mirrored by the Q31, and the parts that the Q30 serve alone are also car heavy areas.

As for your dilemma, I suggest following LRG's advice and leaving early. Or you could follow suit with the rest of your neighbours and invest in a car. :)

If you guys thing buses are crowded now, just wait till next week when school re-opens and adult vacations are over.

Please be kind to your bus operator, it's not his or her fault.

Oh man, you guys are screwed when school begins, I know how crowded that Q27 gets on the evenings when I used to come home from class, UGH! Sometimes you'd have to let some buses go and spend another 8-10 minutes in the cold for another bus and hope the bastard isn't packed!

If you guys thing buses are crowded now, just wait till next week when school re-opens and adult vacations are over.

Please be kind to your bus operator, it's not his or her fault.

I know it's not the B/O's fault, I just can't wrap my head around the Q30's schedule. In my experience it's a Q44-level route. Every single bus is packed, can't even get on. It boggles my mind because it wasn't like that a couple of years ago when I regularly took the Q30.

Oh man, you guys are screwed when school begins, I know how crowded that Q27 gets on the evenings when I used to come home from class, UGH! Sometimes you'd have to let some buses go and spend another 8-10 minutes in the cold for another bus and hope the bastard isn't packed!

Really? I was really considering trying the Q27+Q77 or Q4 (in place of the Q30) then the Q85. Most Q27's I see are packed but it's closer than the Q30 omw home. I think I'm still gonna try it, at least alternate between the 2.

It's funny because the Q85 has the third most ridership out of Jamaica Depot

Q17, Q5, Q85, Q4, Q3, Q30, Q77, Q84, Q42 (from most to least ridership)

I know lol.

The Q85 mostly mirrors the Q5, so it would make sense that one of those routes were less frequent (plus the parts that the Q85 runs alone are kinda suburb areas, where people have their own means of transport ie. cars).

The Q30 is half mirrored by the Q31, and the parts that the Q30 serve alone are also car heavy areas.

As for your dilemma, I suggest following LRG's advice and leaving early. Or you could follow suit with the rest of your neighbours and invest in a car. :P

However the Q85 actually has higher weekday ridership than the Q5, wouldn't that warrant more service as opposed to less?

And the Q30's ridership is about 33% higher than the Q31's. However not too much Q31's come either.

When school starts it's gonna be literally impossible to get on either bus, this is unreal lol. My commute is already over 30 minutes longer than its supposed to be. I really should've got my license this Summer, one day when I have free time I'll go.

I know lol.

However the Q85 actually has higher weekday ridership than the Q5, wouldn't that warrant more service as opposed to less?

And the Q30's ridership is about 33% higher than the Q31's. However not too much Q31's come either.

When school starts it's gonna be literally impossible to get on either bus, this is unreal lol. My commute is already over 30 minutes longer than its supposed to be. I really should've got my license this Summer, one day when I have free time I'll go.

The Q85 only beats out the Q5 by 520 riders on weekdays (13,820 vs. 13,290). Also, the Q5 is more cost-efficient than the Q85 ($1.72 per passenger vs. $1.88 per passenger), which suggests that the Q5 gets more people per passenger-mile.

By the way, the Q30 has over 50% more ridership than the Q31, not 33%. (7,330 vs. 11,840). Half of 7,000 is 3,500, and the Q30 has more than 10,500 riders.

The Q85 only beats out the Q5 by 520 riders on weekdays (13,820 vs. 13,290). Also, the Q5 is more cost-efficient than the Q85 ($1.72 per passenger vs. $1.88 per passenger), which suggests that the Q5 gets more people per passenger-mile.

By the way, the Q30 has over 50% more ridership than the Q31, not 33%. (7,330 vs. 11,840). Half of 7,000 is 3,500, and the Q30 has more than 10,500 riders.

Part 1: I don't see how that relates to anything, just basically leave people on one route hanging at the bus stop? I feel it should at least have the same amount of service. 520 people sounds a little significant when there's less bus service, that's like a bus load of people squeezing onto available buses every 2 hours. To Green Acres the Q85 is exactly 1 mile longer than the Q5.

Part 2: We have different numbers. I have the Q30 in the 9000's and the Q31 in the 6000's for weekday ridership. Also I don't see much Q31's in the morning too.

Edit: My Math is still off, you're right it is about 50% either way. I'm so tired, it just hit me.

I'm starting to wonder if there's some sort of special Summer schedule because this isn't sustainable at all, it's like literally literally going to be impossible to get on any bus once school starts.

Best advice is to leave earlier and allow yourself some time so you can manage to get onto the bus (don't count on a seat though!)

pretty much...

there's nothin much that can be done in a city w/ an (over) abundance of people that is heavily reliant on transportation such as NYC... leaving earlier than normal is how I'm going to (try to) combat matters when school starts... suggesting people get cars or "biking it out", I think, makes matters worse....

getting on mid-route (or fairly close to it), the last thing I'm worried about is a seat... mornings now on the B train, I have to worry about if I can even get on the dam train w/o having my face smeared on the door.... or someone with halitosis smack dab in front of me....

that's just the subway...

having to wait for a bus running on high headways to begin with, to have to experience the same thing, is worse.....

With this number crunching you're posing at us....

What exactly is it you're trying to conclude?

pretty much...

there's nothin much that can be done in a city w/ an (over) abundance of people that is heavily reliant on transportation such as NYC... leaving earlier than normal is how I'm going to (try to) combat matters when school starts... suggesting people get cars or "biking it out", I think, makes matters worse....

getting on mid-route (or fairly close to it), the last thing I'm worried about is a seat... mornings now on the B train, I have to worry about if I can even get on the dam train w/o having my face smeared on the door.... or someone with halitosis smack dab in front of me....

having to wait for a bus running on high headways to begin with, to have to experience the same thing, is worse.....

All true.

There's nothing wrong with being early, like people like to assume. I guess that's just the minds of our youth who always thought it's ok to arrive at school the minute before the late bell rings...until there's a gridlock at the entrance door...and the, they're late.

Even at 6:30 in the morning, by the time the (A) train pulled into 14th Street, it'd be a miracle if I made it off the train before the doors closed. I guess that's what happens when you stare outside the window of a Slant like a railien...you're pre-occupied. :)

pretty much...

With this number crunching you're posing at us....

What exactly is it you're trying to conclude?

I was trying to say that, even though the Q85 has more riders, it is only 520, which is a very small percentage of the ridership, meaning you aren't talking about a huge difference.

With the cost-efficiency numbers, I was trying to say that the Q5 gets more people per mile, which could be a reason why the Q5 gets more service.

It was insane this morning, I'm talking about buses skipping stops that had bus loads of people waiting and waiving their arms. It was kinda funny to me which I know isn't right. I don't care I got on the Q30 at Jamaica Center this time (got fully packed there) and it sped to my destination which is a perk of a packed bus.

Oh and also I'm observing how many other buses come before a Q85 comes (I have nothing much else to do while waiting for the bus). Today it was 2 Q5's and only 1 N4, 1 Q4, & 1 Q84 came before a Q85 showed up.

It was insane this morning, I'm talking about buses skipping stops that had bus loads of people waiting and waiving their arms. It was kinda funny to me which I know isn't right. I don't care I got on the Q30 at Jamaica Center this time (got fully packed there) and it sped to my destination which is a perk of a packed bus.

Oh and also I'm observing how many other buses come before a Q85 comes (I have nothing much else to do while waiting for the bus). Today it was 2 Q5's and only 1 N4, 1 Q4, & 1 Q84 came before a Q85 showed up.

We are still in the summer pick, the new pick starts this coming Sunday. Due to the Jewish HolyDays TF, there was only one day of this transitional issue.

There will be a schools open schedule and a schools closed schedule in that package when the new pick starts.

Archived