The 90's....

bigrene18

One thing happened on October 3, 1990 that I honestly thought I would maybe never see: West Germany (The Federal Republic Of Germany), and East Germany (The German Democratic Republic) formally reunified into Germany, and Berlin once again became the capital.

Of course, I never thought I might see the U.S.S.R., Czechoslovakia, or Yugoslavia dissolve like they did or North and South Yemen unify into Yemen either.

As Forest Glen mentioned, the 1990's were a good decade for the Knickerbockers.

They went 39-43 in 1990-1991 then took off, winning 60 games (60-22) in 1992-1993. in 1998-1999, they went 27-23 finishing 4th in the Atlantic, but became the first eighth seed to reach the N.B.A. Finals where they lost to San Antonio 4 games to 1. In 1993-1994, they lost the N.B.A. Finals to Houston 4 games to 3, but that season won the Atlantic Division with 57-25.

The Rangers won the Stanley Cup in 1993-1994, defeating Vancouver 4 games to 3 after winning the Atlantic with 84 Points 52-24-8). That season, the Rangers defeated the Islanders 4 games to 1 in the Conference Quarter-Final, and New Jersey 4 games to 3 in the Conference Final (They defeated Washington, D.C. 4 games to 1 in the Conference Semi-Final). The Rangers also reached the Conference Final in 1996-1997.

The Yankees were sickening in 1990, and bad in 1991, and 1992 before returning to health in 1993. 1998 was a wonderful season with a 114-48 record and the World Series win.

Air Force One with Harrison Ford as President Marshall, and Aftershock: Earthquake In New York with Charles S. Dutton as Mayor Lincoln and Tom Skerritt as Fire Chief Ahern were two good movies, and The Tuskegee Airmen, and Malcolm X were great movies. Deep Impact, Gettysburg, and Mystic River were other memorable movies. The Postman by David Brinn was a good book from the 1990's.

Jersey City stemmed its' population loss which had been happening since the 1960's and saw population increase, and the Hudson River waterfront really improve. Newport came into its' own and Newport Centre Mall opened. Pavonia Avenue-Newport was remodeled, and the wall platform reopened.

There were some bad things in the 1990's: Gulf War I after Iraq invaded Kuwait; the Car Bombing underneath the North Tower of the World Trade Center at 12:18pm on February 26, 1993; the bombing of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building at 9:02am April 19, 1995; T/O Robert Ray and the (4) train Union Square accident on August 28, 1991; T/O Layton Gibson and the (J) train Willy B. accident on June 7, 1995; Intervale Avenue (2)(5) suffering an arson fire and near closing in 1992; The players going on strike after the games of August 11, 1994 were completed; The Elizabeth Daily Journal, founded in 1779, published its' last issue in 1992 as Elizabeth, New Jersey's newspaper.

But overall it was a pretty good decade. President Clinton and Mayor Giuliani, Vaclev Havel, Selena, Andy (Andy Pettite) coming up in 1996, Maureen O'Boyle on Extra, Micheal Jordan, Karl Malone (The Mailman). Subway and bus fare under $2.00; MetroCard debuting in 1997; PATH with QuickCard. Central Avenue IBOA was still running in Jersey City, and the R36 WF cars were still on the (7)<7> and the I.R.T. Redbirds, particularly on the (2) and (5) lines.

From what I remember, the 1990s were better than the 2000s. But I'd choose the 1980s over the 1990s anyday. To me, the good things from the '90s were:

-Redbirds

-Checker cabs still ran in New York (although only about 10-20 were left)

-New York was not run by a small-time dictator/tyrannical despot

-George W. Bush had not yet been elected

-The 'old New York' was still alive

But there were also many bad things in the 1990s, at least in my eyes:

-Poland (where my mother came from) was a mess, and was basically a half-anarchic state (Poland's infrastructure almost fell apart during the nineties)

-American cars started getting uglier and crappier (not to mention that the mid-1990s is when the SUV/minivan craze began)

-Oklahoma City bombing

-George H.W. Bush

-Part II of the decline of American industry began (theoretical transition to the BS 'service industries' from manufacturing industries)

-The Polish manufacturing industry basically collapsed in the late 1990s

-The overall polarization that exists in modern-day America began in the 1990s

-And so on

So in general, I always thought that the 1990s were only mediocre (but hey, at least they weren't as bad as the 2000s)

From what I remember, the 1990s were better than the 2000s. But I'd choose the 1980s over the 1990s anyday. To me, the good things from the '90s were:

-Redbirds

-Poland (where my mother came from) was a mess, and was basically a half-anarchic state (Poland's infrastructure almost fell apart during the nineties)

-American cars started getting uglier and crappier (not to mention that the mid-1990s is when the SUV/minivan craze began)

-Oklahoma City bombing

-George H.W. Bush

-Part II of the decline of American industry began (theoretical transition to the BS 'service industries' from manufacturing industries)

-And so on

So in general, I always thought that the 1990s were only mediocre (but hey, at least they weren't as bad as the 2000s)

There a young man who makes sense.:tup:

-Redbirds

-Oklahoma City bombing

-George H.W. Bush

-And so on

Good post for a 16 year old (or really, around here, for anyone for that matter). I don't agree 100% with every single thing you wrote (I agree with most), but you stated your opinions and you backed them up with facts. Nice one.

Not to get too off topic but it's related to the '90's. 'LFO' lead singer Rich Cronin best know for the hit song 'summer girls' and for dating Jennifer Love Hewitt had died from cancer. Sadly he was only 35 years old.

"Summer Girls" was a smash hit in the summer of 1999 as well.

RIP Mr. Cronin.

That's song didn't make any scene.

I think Regional you mean 'sense' right? Well that was a big part of the '90's was that songs, singers(i.e Mr. Korbin)or tv shows i.e Seinfeld made no sense either.:confused:

Seinfeld made sense. It was just the self proclaimed "show about nothing", but it made sense.

These guys would like to have a nice chat with you guys about the 90s being lame.

tmnt.jpg

Funny you should mention that, Nicktoon this week aired a crossover movie invoving the 80s team and the 2003 group. Totally recommend it. Plus I always did like the 80s one more for the campy humor. 2003 show, too serious for me.

That said, I liked the 90s cartoons and that it was 'simpler times'. I'd galdly prefer the 90s over the 2000s.

As for tech, 2000s over 90s. Namely: internet, ipod/phone, laptops, etc.

Ahhh...the 90s. I was in school from the latter part of second grade until the first semester of my senior year. It was an awesome decade. I remember listening to Mariah (and yes, "Fantasy" is one of MC's bestest songs), Alanis, TLC, Ace of Base, and yes, even the boy bands and teen girls in the later years. Of course, the Redbirds remind me so much of that era. I was also one of those avid TGIF viewers (Full House, Family Matters, Sabrina, etc.). Disney had some awesome animated feature films (Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King, and others) and their afternoon lineup with Darkwing Duck, Tale Spin, Goof Troop, etc. Even PBS had cool shows like Shining Time Station, Ghostwriter, and Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego? The not-so-good event that happened in my life was moving out of NYC in 1996. I traveled through the Lincoln Tunnel with tears in my eyes :cry:. But I feel fine now. :cool:

Shortline Bus, I do remember LFO and I'm sad to hear about Rich passing away. I did have a crush on him when "Summer Girls" was a hit. And to whoever said this Justin Bieber crap is what's in style now, unfortunately it is, and I don't see the big hoopla over this kid. I wonder if he'll have a Peter Brady-style voice transformation in a few months. He sucks really bad. :tdown:

Still:

-PlayStation vs. N64 wars

-James Bond movies that didn't completely suck (GoldenEye and its extremely successful N64 game)

-Britney Spears was a pop star, not some national bald joke with a kid she barely knows

-f**kING TOKENS, HOW DID THEY WORK?

-CD players in cars was considered fancy

-I actually looked forward to listening to Z100

-Better TV shows in general. Except for Friends, keep that shit off. Along with the boy bands, old tired early 1990s lingo, all the European one-hit wonders

-"I'm sorry, I can't stay on the internet and on the phone at the same time"

-RTS buses that could take anything you threw at them (except for the wheelchair ramp)

-Long Island Bus actually had more than Orions running, and still had diesel Orions

-You woke up early on Saturday just for the cartoons and nothing more

-MTV still played music that didn't make you die on the inside

-Cartoon Network and Nick actually had nice cartoons, and the hardest part was deciding to choose which network to watch after school

-Cartoon Network and Nick actually had nice cartoons, and the hardest part was deciding to choose which network to watch after school

sad part is now both of those channels are starting to show movies.

.. speaking of which... to this day, I cannot fathom why the movie "3" (yes, the movie about dale earnhardt) ever aired on Cartoon Network...

cartoon network fell off hard anyway, when they decided to show mostly anime & other oddball cartoons kids nowadays don't particularly care for....

Hey, don't knock the anime. Well I do agree the ones targeted for kids are bad, but the ones airing late at night are pretty good for the most part.

But yeah it is sad overall that 'cartoon' channels are showing live action stuff. It loses relavence. Toon Disney was a big loss. I mean it's not like they needed to change it since they had ABC family and Disney channel. Now other than the weekend late night airings of Superman, Spiderman, etc, there's nothing good on Disney xd.

100% wrong

The 1990's had some of the best TV shows. There were no crappy reality shows like Jersey Shore or The Bachelor. There were real TV shows like Friends.

The United States was a world power in the 90's. No one would even think of attacking the US.

The Knicks were relevant in the 90's.

There were no crappy low floor buses.

In the 90's there were music artists and groups like En Vogue, TLC, Destiny's Child, and LL Cool J. None of this Lady GaGa or Justin Bieber BS.

The only good thing that came out of the new millenium was the ipod. Everything else was superfluous or unnecessary. The 90's were the best time of my life!

I agree! The 90's did had the best TV programs such as...

Martin

Married with Children

New York Undercover

Beverly Hills 90210

The Fresh Prince Of Bel Air

The Wayne Brothers

Yo! Mtv Raps

Just to name a few that came into mind...

Archived