The 90's....

bigrene18

Does anyone else think the 1990's was one of the most lamest and dull periods of the 20th century?

I do...

100% wrong

The 1990's had some of the best TV shows. There were no crappy reality shows like Jersey Shore or The Bachelor. There were real TV shows like Friends.

The United States was a world power in the 90's. No one would even think of attacking the US.

The Knicks were relevant in the 90's.

There were no crappy low floor buses.

In the 90's there were music artists and groups like En Vogue, TLC, Destiny's Child, and LL Cool J. None of this Lady GaGa or Justin Bieber BS.

The only good thing that came out of the new millenium was the ipod. Everything else was superfluous or unnecessary. The 90's were the best time of my life!

100% wrong

The 1990's had some of the best TV shows. There were no crappy reality shows like Jersey Shore or The Bachelor. There were real TV shows like Friends.

The United States was a world power in the 90's. No one would even think of attacking the US.

The Knicks were relevant in the 90's.

There were no crappy low floor buses.

In the 90's there were music artists and groups like En Vogue, TLC, Destiny's Child, and LL Cool J. None of this Lady GaGa or Justin Bieber BS.

The only good thing that came out of the new millenium was the ipod. Everything else was superfluous or unnecessary. The 90's were the best time of my life!

sorry mr wilson the '90's was not the best ever in american culture.:tdown: More people got rich in the '90's than anytime in US History.

The '70's and '80's to start were better decades for movies and tv shows.

If the 90s were uneventful, isn't that a good thing? No major war, no famine... certainly no recession...

I loved the 90s, it was my childhood! Everything was colorful, energetic, and magical. TV shows were better, music was better...

Maybe it's because I was growing up, but the world seemed limitless.

If the 90s were uneventful, isn't that a good thing? No major war, no famine... certainly no recession...

I loved the 90s, it was my childhood! Everything was colorful, energetic, and magical. TV shows were better, music was better...

Maybe it's because I was growing up, but the world seemed limitless.

Sure it was a good thing. The '90's might been a decade in which the planet came the closest ever at least in modern history to world peace.

Still sad there was still some violent hot spots such as those in Bosnia and Rhawanda where US and UN/Global troops had to stop the genocide in the post cold war years.

I was more talking about music/fashion/tv and films IMO was not great.

I know there was some good music ie Kurt Corbin/Niravana, En Vogue, Stone Temple Pilots, Boyz II Men, Mariah and 2Pac to name a small few.

However music video by the end of the '90's was played out.:eek:

I know i may get into hot water for saying this but IMO "Seinfeld" and "Friends" was overrated. Give me the "Simpsons' or any other show from the '80's any day.:tup:

Chill, the 90's is where it's at lol.

Most 90's television crushes 00's TV, especially cartoons.

00's Music > 90's Music (sorry)

Infamous were you around in ancient history the 1970's/80's? I know 80% of you on the boards only remember the '90's and the just ended '00's. Trust me IMO for music/culture the '90's was at best at ok.

I do agree the '00's was even more boring. I was talking before the '90's.

The '70's/'80's kicked the butt of the '90's. Give me Grandmaster Flash, RUN DMC, & the Beastie Boys over 2pac and Biggie. When rap was 'pg' and had very little cursing.:eek:

Blondie and the Go-Go's is way better than booty call Beyonce and Destiny's Child. Plus Debbie Harry (Blondie) and Belinda Carlie (Go Go)actually could sing and was also cute.:o

Shalamar, Irene Cara, the SOS Band way better than any R&B singers in the '90's and 00's.

Those were the days.:tup:

As a kid 90's cartoons were pretty good stuff (at least early 90's). The 90's gave us some pretty good movies, especially action movies hell nothing beats the 90's for action flicks. Things were simple not everyone had a cell phone and it was easier to do things back then. Could've just been being a kid but things were a lot of fun. They're still fun nowadays but it's a different kind of fun. The internet was new, most of the pages were text, and the internet was a frontier that wasn't filled with all the advertising and bullshit that you see today. People were polite to each other instead of this idiocy we see nowadays, and people typed in full sentences and proper English instead of wut we c now 2 typ lyk thizz :o

Plus for riding the trains the 90's were a trip because you still had some old equipment running back then (in the early 90's), you had the test tech trains (the 110's) then late in the decade the first tech trains started showing up on the IRT running alongside redbirds and 62's which was pretty cool. Many of the stations hadn't gotten renovations yet or were undergoing them so you could see what used to be there. I for one liked the old Wall St station (4)(5) with the blue tile. All that stuff was still there.

The city was a great place to be with a lot of good restaurants, and holes in the wall instead of this pretentious overpriced crap that fills the entire borough of Manhattan. When I grew up, working class families could afford to raise kids in Manhattan. I was one of those kids and I grew up with kids like me but they all moved out, moved away, a damn shame, now replaced by yuppie 20 something suits who are single and have no family and don't want one cuz they'd rather have money. The neighborhoods have changed. Back in the 90's there weren't Starf**ks everywhere, you got coffee from a local deli and you knew the guy's name from memory even if it was something Arabic, and you weren't paranoid he'd blow things up.

Religion took a back seat to a lot of more important things, unlike today where we've regressed. The world was optimistic for a better tomorrow, unlike today where we know tomorrow's going to be less than we hoped and today we sit around and argue over how and why.

I liked the 90's. Less bullshit. That's always good by me.

Man the 90s were the best time to grow up, you had the best TV, Movies, Music and cartoons, Speaking of cartoons cartoon network Debut with cartoon goodness starting with bugs bunny witch a lot of people knew who he was ,it kind of sad that the kids of today don't know who bugs bunny is ,its just sponge bob stupid pants. Broadcast kids block were awesome ,Fox Kids (''GO''GO''GO''POWER RANGER")KIDS WB(IT''FOR''''Animaniacs'').

Back then you would meet someone in person instead of face book or texting on there phones,The economy was in good shape , Jobs were easier to find and do ,Bill Clinton was a cool Present and probably the first black Present ,as bad as the scandal was with bill and Monica I would have preferred it better then what going on in middle east or the war on terror. people were more open back then ,now were are in fear and divided in America.

As for Transit,it was Great,The GMC and TMC RTS series dominated NYC and the Birth of the Orion Vs series,I remember like it was yesterday seeing New Orion V Suburban for the first time passing throw 6th ave ,As well getting a chance to Ride the Blitz New look before Retirement ,I Remember losing a hat in one of thows New looks ,my mom was mad. And lets not for get about the Redbirds ,

These trains work old school to the core :cool:

Man the 90s were the best time to grow up, you had the best TV, Movies, Music and cartoons, Speaking of cartoons cartoon network Debut with cartoon goodness starting with bugs bunny witch a lot of people knew who he was ,it kind of sad that the kids of today don't know who bugs bunny is ,its just sponge bob stupid pants. Broadcast kids block were awesome ,Fox Kids (''GO''GO''GO''POWER RANGER")KIDS WB(IT''FOR''''Animaniacs'').

Back then you would meet someone in person instead of face book or texting on there phones,The economy was in good shape , Jobs were easier to find and do ,Bill Clinton was a cool Present and probably the first black Present ,as bad as the scandal was with bill and Monica I would have preferred it better then what going on in middle east or the war on terror. people were more open back then ,now were are in fear and divided in America.

As for Transit,it was Great,The GMC and TMC RTS series dominated NYC and the Birth of the Orion Vs series,I remember like it was yesterday seeing New Orion V Suburban for the first time passing throw 6th ave ,As well getting a chance to Ride the Blitz New look before Retirement ,I Remember losing a hat in one of thows New looks ,my mom was mad. And lets not for get about the Redbirds ,

These trains work old school to the core :cool:

See my point. I am really the old man on these boards as majority of the members grew up in the 1990's and '00's.:cry:

See my point. I am really the old man on these boards as majority of the members grew up in the 1990's and '00's.:cry:

80s were awesome to, is to bad I was born in the late 80's

Everyone has there own era that good or bad ,just wait about 20 years when people talk about how Great Realty shows were.

''what am I say?''lol:p

80s were awesome to, is to bad I was born in the late 80's

Everyone has there own era that good or bad ,just wait about 20 years when people talk about how Great Realty shows were.

''what am I say?''lol:p

And Paris Hilton being compared to this era "Marcia Brady" in 20 years or so as the Blond sex symbol for many teen boys which is scary.

I'm glad I grew up in the 80's & the early-to-mid 90's.....

...after the mid 90's is where things went downhill... as far as hip hop music, TV shows, cartoons, clothes (what is up w/ this rhinestone shit & these colorful ass designs on jeans & shirts nowadays), toys for the children (everything is video games now... kids are getting clowned on if they say they play with toys... f***in shame), etc. etc.....

I would not want to grow up as a kid in this day & age.... you get deemed a lame for almost ANYthing.

...and let's not mention what sites like facebook, myspace, & twitter, and the influx of message boards pertaining to god knows what, have done to the insociability (I won't say anti-social b/c that's not what it is) of people, as a whole....

there is a direct relationship b/w someone who makes like 100 posts a day on multiple forums, and that person's inability to even formulate an opinion once he/she gets up off that computer.

anyway, IMO, 80's > 90's > 2000's....

most people would flip-flip the 80's & the 90's due to the 80's being the "crack era" or w/e... well, you can't go wrong with that either.... but these days with/ the softening/feminization of young boys in our urban culture (I call it what it is), I can't put the 2000's up there as being one of the better decades to have lived in...

....sad part is, I don't see things getting any better either... on that, and on soooooooo many other fronts...

For me in the 1990s, cartoons were the best, ranging from the Power Rangers to Pokemon, as well as the Simpsons, South Park, and for once Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon had better original cartoons than what they have now.

Also, Wrestling was at its best (especially in the late 90s with the Attitude era). It was catered to Men and teens, not a bunch of kids.

As for music, R&B was at its best (Boyz II Men, Jodeci, Hi-Five, Bell Biv DeVoe, R. Kelly, Ralph Tresvant, Bobby Brown, Johnny Gill, Tevin Campbell, Aaliyah, Brandy, Monica, and I can go on and on) and had an identity of its own instead of being mashed with hip-hop. Even teen pop was better in the late 90s as it catered to both teens and adults, compared to the teen pop of today.

And as a Latino, even our music was better in the 90s than in the 2000s. Salsa was dominated by the likes of Marc Anthony, Jerry Rivera, Frankie Ruiz, Luis Enrique, Tito Rojas, Victor Manuelle, Gilberto Santa Rosa. Merengue became famous outside of the Dominican republic with the likes of Olga Tanon and Grupo Mania (which spurned a solo act in Elvis Crespo). And the merengue in DR was awesome, but with a comedic twist with the likes of Fulanito, Proyecto Uno, Banda Gorda, Cocoband, Rokabanda, just to name a few.

Latin pop was at its best in the 90s as well. You had the biggest debuts of the decade in Enrique Iglesias and Shakira (both in 1995), the most powerful voice on the planet in Luis Miguel (he was in his 20s!) and the most tragic loss in the talented Tex-Mex queen Selena, not to mention the other stars that came up in the 90s, such as Ricky Martin, Chayanne, Paulina Rubio, Jon Secada, Gloria Estefan, and Cristian Castro.

The non-cartoon TV shows were also great, ranging from the Fresh Prince, Family Matters, Full House, Friends, Boy Meets World, to the dramas such as ER, or even music programs like Soul Train and TRL.

All I have to say about the 90s was that...IT WAS AWESOME!!!!!!!

I wish we can travel back to the flannel shirts (that were worn BAGGY as opposed to the tight style that's worn now), redbirds on the trains, House Party movies, and all that and a bag of chips.

For me in the 1990s, cartoons were the best, ranging from the Power Rangers to Pokemon, as well as the Simpsons, South Park, and for once Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon had better original cartoons than what they have now.

Also, Wrestling was at its best (especially in the late 90s with the Attitude era). It was catered to Men and teens, not a bunch of kids.

As for music, R&B was at its best (Boyz II Men, Jodeci, Hi-Five, Bell Biv DeVoe, R. Kelly, Ralph Tresvant, Bobby Brown, Johnny Gill, Tevin Campbell, Aaliyah, Brandy, Monica, and I can go on and on) and had an identity of its own instead of being mashed with hip-hop. Even teen pop was better in the late 90s as it catered to both teens and adults, compared to the teen pop of today.

And as a Latino, even our music was better in the 90s than in the 2000s. Salsa was dominated by the likes of Marc Anthony, Jerry Rivera, Frankie Ruiz, Luis Enrique, Tito Rojas, Victor Manuelle, Gilberto Santa Rosa. Merengue became famous outside of the Dominican republic with the likes of Olga Tanon and Grupo Mania (which spurned a solo act in Elvis Crespo). And the merengue in DR was awesome, but with a comedic twist with the likes of Fulanito, Proyecto Uno, Banda Gorda, Cocoband, Rokabanda, just to name a few.

Latin pop was at its best in the 90s as well. You had the biggest debuts of the decade in Enrique Iglesias and Shakira (both in 1995), the most powerful voice on the planet in Luis Miguel (he was in his 20s!) and the most tragic loss in the talented Tex-Mex queen Selena, not to mention the other stars that came up in the 90s, such as Ricky Martin, Chayanne, Paulina Rubio, Jon Secada, Gloria Estefan, and Cristian Castro.

The non-cartoon TV shows were also great, ranging from the Fresh Prince, Family Matters, Full House, Friends, Boy Meets World, to the dramas such as ER, or even music programs like Soul Train and TRL.

All I have to say about the 90s was that...IT WAS AWESOME!!!!!!!

I wish we can travel back to the flannel shirts (that were worn BAGGY as opposed to the tight style that's worn now), redbirds on the trains, House Party movies, and all that and a bag of chips.

I wish I can shake your hand because your making total sense with all that your wrote there. Except the cartoon stuff.

The '70's and '80's to start were better decades for movies and tv shows.

Infamous were you around in ancient history the 1970's/80's? I know 80% of you on the boards only remember the '90's and the just ended '00's. Trust me IMO for music/culture the '90's was at best at ok.

I do agree the '00's was even more boring. I was talking before the '90's.

The '70's/'80's kicked the butt of the '90's. Give me Grandmaster Flash, RUN DMC, & the Beastie Boys over 2pac and Biggie. When rap was 'pg' and had very little cursing.:eek:

Blondie and the Go-Go's is way better than booty call Beyonce and Destiny's Child. Plus Debbie Harry (Blondie) and Belinda Carlie (Go Go)actually could sing and was also cute.:P

Shalamar, Irene Cara, the SOS Band way better than any R&B singers in the '90's and 00's.

Those were the days.:tup:

I agree 100% with both of your posts!

I was consequently more fond of the early-to-mid 80's period. I can remember playing with Commodore 64 or Atari, but those graphics looked very outdated by the time Nintendo arrived. Nintendo was the coolest. Everyone I knew had it. You had to have it or be square. I loved Nintendo. I loved that Zapper gun and the Power Glove and I love all the fun games with graphics that were more stylized and fun, and there were more long plot lines and music and it was just better than that dinosaur Commodore 64 or that awful Atari.

I am a late 70's teen, and I was in my early 20's in the 1980 - '83 period and later full fledged adult of the 85 to '89 period. The late 70's and 80s would classify as more my time.

I think the 80's did not die in the final years - 87 through 89. On the contrary, since it was the tail end, you had more access to any of the earlier stuff and you could discuss any of that and not look weird because it was not too far into the past. It was still closer because it was the same decade. I loved Madonna and Cyndi Lauper and MTV and the Go Gos, and the Bangles and many of the fashions. But yes the fashions of the New Romantic and New Wave were already getting old by '87. People were still wearing that but it was already tired. I wish I had been over the top and fun in '83 or something.

When Did It Start To Feel like the '80s?

1980 and '81 seemed more like "waiting for the '80s". It's not really a '70s atmosphere, but not really an '80s one either.

Album sales especially reflect this (i.e. after Disco and before MTV). I would even include 1979 in there too. Actually '79 seems a little more culturally "alive" than 80-81 if you know what I mean? Like the '70s with a look forward to the '80s.

1982 and '83 even had some vague '70ish traces, although it's safe to say when malls, Valley Girl lingo and MTV took off, it was basically '80s. This happened around the latter half of 1982 from all I know. Michael Jackson's Thriller was released in late '82/early '83.

1984 was the "peak" of the '80s (to a slightly lesser extent, 85 too).

I think of September 1982 to May 1988 as being the "real '80s."

Was 1985-1989 a "different type" of '80s from 1980-1984?

Based on my experience/knowledge of the 1980s, there were two types of '80s: 1980-1984 is the "old school" '80s and 1985-1989 the "newer" '80s.

Does anyone else notice this change around 1985? When music became less new waveish and more alternative, computers and calculators became ubuitiquous, etc? 1985 onwards seems way more modern than the earlier '80s, perhaps partly because the 1970s influence is totally gone.

The '80's were definitely the "Golden Age of Television"! I remember watching The A-Team, Airwolf, Magnum P.I. Knight Rider, Hunter, Miami Vice, MacGyver, Hardcastle And McCormick, Simon & Simon, Street Hawk, and many more! Now we have shows that are so pathetically stupid that you want to blow up your television!

Archived