The 90's....

bigrene18

Speaking of the 90s, I forgot to mention what I call, "The Saturday Ritual."

First, I got up around 8am to watch cartoons (like Pokemon) until noon.

I actually hated Pokemon. However, Fox they had the Marvel cartoons (Spider-Man, X-Men). On the WB (CW) they had DC cartoons (Batman, Superman). I'm not even sure that they have now.

Speaking of the 90s, I forgot to mention what I call, "The Saturday Ritual."

First, I got up around 8am to watch cartoons (like Pokemon) until noon.

Then, after cartoons ended, we all heard this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeV5ncCjJu4

The early '90's version of the 'soul train' theme is ok. Seriously is still on?:confused:

Not to get off course again but if you want to hear IMO among the best TV theme (at least as an instrutmental)nothing beats the oringal Soul Train theme debuted in 1974.:tup:

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/mfsb-tsop/93392ee85d4724e1740393392ee85d4724e17403-215362568924?q=mfsb%20tsop&FROM=LKVR5&GT1=LKVR5&FORM=LKVR2

As a Yankee fan growing up, it pissed me off when I saw my beloved Pokemon ruined in favor of some stupid Mets game on WPIX. Back when it was called that.

As I grew up, I learned the company that dubbed most of the anime on WPIX Americanized everything and cut anything referring to death. Main character in Yu-Gi-Oh had a mom, but for some reason the company thought she was dead (or evil) and did not mention her.

Oh no, a guy hitting on women and failing hard! That's not kid safe!

Oh no, a European sounding kid doing things in his laboratory! That's too much!

Oh no, babies messing around (hated this show) while their adults make adult jokes! The kids will know what they mean!

Oh no, SpongeBob made a joke about dropping the soap! Let's ruin the show very slowly.

Oh no, Ren and Stimpy isn't politically correct! Let's ban the show!

Oh no, there was too much adult material on Rocko! Quick, get rid of it!

God, I hate kids today. Parents don't give a crap and the media is shit.

Hey, don't knock the anime. Well I do agree the ones targeted for kids are bad, but the ones airing late at night are pretty good for the most part.

But yeah it is sad overall that 'cartoon' channels are showing live action stuff. It loses relavence. Toon Disney was a big loss. I mean it's not like they needed to change it since they had ABC family and Disney channel. Now other than the weekend late night airings of Superman, Spiderman, etc, there's nothing good on Disney xd.

It's not me knockin anime, as it is me sayin cartoon network shows waaaaay too much of it now (after boomerang became it's own network, anime is what cartoon network filled its empty slots with)... guess it was too much of it, all at once, for me.... The only anime series I really got into (outside DBZ) was Naruto....

about boomerang though, the original boomerang was the shit; this watered down version we have now, I don't know about...

on another note, the disney cartoons & nickelodeon I was never a fan of anyway... back in the 90's, for me, it was cartoon network (back when it was channel 63 on cablevision!), the cartoons that aired on the fox kids club on saturdays, the cartoons that aired on fox (and ch. 11 sometimes also) b/w 3-5pm on weekdays, and the cartoons that came on early sunday mornings (on channels 9 & 11).....

Anime sucks. Bring back the old school Looney Tunes any day of the week.

They were good enough through the 1990's, why don't people think they're good enough today?

Gotta disagree on the anime to an extent. I've found a couple that have really hooked me. But you're spot on with the Looney Tunes. They were almost ahead of their time. Now that I go back and watch them I catch on to all those subliminal messages which I feel were meant to be there. Other than that they just delivered the jokes perfectly and the music was well orchestrated.

about boomerang though, the original boomerang was the shit; this watered down version we have now, I don't know about...

Actually not much has change when the boomerang channel premiered back in 2000, Other then post-Cartoon cartoon and DC cartoons stuff it hasn't changed at all. Actually it resembles alot like the Pre-1996 cartoon network ,minus the commercials and Looney Tunes sadly.

If you are talking about boomerang the block that air in the mornings that was Awesome. :P

I miss Toonami .:P

The early '90's version of the 'soul train' theme is ok. Seriously is still on?:confused:

Not to get off course again but if you want to hear IMO among the best TV theme (at least as an instrutmental)nothing beats the oringal Soul Train theme debuted in 1974.:tup:

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/mfsb-tsop/93392ee85d4724e1740393392ee85d4724e17403-215362568924?q=mfsb%20tsop&FROM=LKVR5&GT1=LKVR5&FORM=LKVR2

I placed that intro (The Sound of Philadelphia 2000) because I watched Soul Train the most around 2000-01 (I consider those two years as part of the 90s since 90s trends were still around).

The 90's was a good decade. I went from a kid to an adult at that time so there were a LOT of changes during that time. The last years that we didn't have an internet. My love for trains grew as my love for buses started to wane a bit but I still loved them. No hybrids! LOL. I kinda prefer the 80's just because for me as a kid then, I had a lot of fun and personally people had more style at the time and there was waaaay better music as a whole decade then what the 90's had. I loved music between 90-95 but it's more the late 90's where I started having issues with it. Even with all of that, I think it was a good decade.

....Bring back the old school Looney Tunes any day of the week.

They were good enough through the 1990's, why don't people think they're good enough today?

This....

You don't get too many timeless/classic (anything, anymore), but cartoons especially... Your great great grandchildren could watch those things & enjoy em throughout their childhood... at least, I think so.

These "futuristic" cartoons (I call em) are over the top... do you hear the vocabulary used in these things... like, do they honestly expect the average elementary school kid to know what the characters in the cartoon are talking about....

the way cartoons are going nowadays, I'd say they're more made/tailored for adults anyway... whether ppl. deem that to be a good or bad thing, well that's all moot.....

I am A very proud product of the <7>0's but I wish I was born in the 60's ,However the 90's to me were lame and if I could skip it I would hmmmm

I'll get Doc and go back to the Future

Being fair, the '90's was best for the amazing tech advancements from the beginning to end of that decade kids on this boards now take for granted.

In year 1990, I was still in High School and other than doctors and a few NYPD cops living in Brooklyn at that time, nobody then, I knew had cell phones. Just pagers and beepers. And yes no Internet as Al Gore miracle idea was still a few years away (joking).

By 1999, almost everyone I knew had cell phones. Plus that year was the time my family (I was living with my parents at that time)had gotten internet access for the first time. So the '90's, the best memories for me other than college and lots of dates from my female classmates LOL , was the tech revolution of that decade.

I do agree with you Knight Ridder that overall for music/tv/movie/culture, the '90's overall were lame. Give me the '80's any time.:tup:

Video games use to be the best thing in the 90s.Now video games starting to suck now..there no interesting games coming out....maybe is just me.I cant remember when the last time I played my ps2.
No interesting games? :tdown: Dude, I can name 10 games off the top of my head that are must plays.

No interesting games? :tdown: Dude, I can name 10 games off the top of my head that are must plays.

You think I'll like the games since you say it's ''must plays''?....There aren't any games out there that will catch my eye...Besides my interest in video games have been going down in recent years.

Archived