MTA Starts training 30 new T/O next month

Jersey 316

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are both C? Also, when did they stop asking questions like this?

I'm going to post the answers later tonight or tomorrow to give as many people a chance to read them "blindly" without the answer there.

This is just a guess, but I would assume they stopped asking questions like this and simplified (or dumbed down, which ever way you want to look at it) the questions when they started giving the open competative T/O test in 2000. Most people would probably get in the range of 50% to 75 % correct on a test of 80 questions like these. If you guys want, I can post a few of the questions every few days so you can get a better idea of it.

They also used to have classes to prepare you for the tests. I don't know if they still do this since the tests now require very little knowledge of the job itself, expecially when most of the test is reading things that explains the duties and then asking questions from what was just read.

The motorman of a train stopped in a station notices that there is considerable arcing underneath his car. His BEST initial action is to:

A. Whistle for assistance

B. Open the main Knife switch

C. Pull the nearest emergency alarm

D. Pull the control switch

Before starting his train to enter a shop building, the motorman MUST:

A. Make a brake test

B. Set out a warning flag or lantern

C. Sound the proper whistle signal

D. Energize the shop third rail

My choices in red.

I'm going to post the answers later tonight or tomorrow to give as many people a chance to read them "blindly" without the answer there.

This is just a guess, but I would assume they stopped asking questions like this and simplified (or dumbed down, which ever way you want to look at it) the questions when they started giving the open competative T/O test in 2000. Most people would probably get in the range of 50% to 75 % correct on a test of 80 questions like these. If you guys want, I can post a few of the questions every few days so you can get a better idea of it.

They also used to have classes to prepare you for the tests. I don't know if they still do this since the tests now require very little knowledge of the job itself, expecially when most of the test is reading things that explains the duties and then asking questions from what was just read.

Dumbed down? Shocking! From reading some of the posts on NYCT forums I thought I was in the presence of some of NASAs finest. I'm appalled. Outraged. Actually your second paragraph sums up my sentiments exactly.

Dumbed down? Shocking! From reading some of the posts on NYCT forums I thought I was in the presence of some of NASAs finest. I'm appalled. Outraged. Actually your second paragraph sums up my sentiments exactly.

"Holding hands" in an understatement if you ask me...:confused:

The 2 multiple choice questions that Phrasier posted at the end of this post, c'mon now you should know the answers, I have no clue so I am not going to even take a guess,lol.

I seen those questions on one of tests my 1st week of Schoolcar..

We havent even seen the inside of a train yet at that...

I would think it is B and C ..Whenevr electricity arcs you wanna cut the circuit. Im guessing they use double pole double throw switches or maybe just single throw on newer trains...

Open the knife switch while the breakers are one and it'll blow up on you...

I see your point PhrasierCrane. However, I was thinking more along the lines of a contract sorta speak. If a candidate takes an exam then by law or rule hes got to be given a chance of a call-up based on needs for the next four years, no ifs and or buts. This obviously isn't the case as the MTA has already called up a few people from new lists before the old ones even expired. I didn't know the MTA never said they couldn't terminate a list whenever they felt like.

On another note,

Why would anyone be offended by your explanation? It at the very least sounds very well thought out to me. It sounds as if you've been involved in a few flaming wars or something.

No one said anything about any breakers.. But right there cant be any load on the circuit when breaking it to stop any more arcing

If it's aching, the train is taking power, if you open the knife while the train is taking power, it will flash on you.

I see your point PhrasierCrane. However, I was thinking more along the lines of a contract sorta speak. If a candidate takes an exam then by law or rule hes got to be given a chance of a call-up based on needs for the next four years, no ifs and or buts. This obviously isn't the case as the MTA has already called up a few people from new lists before the old ones even expired. I didn't know the MTA never said they couldn't terminate a list whenever they felt like.

It's not so much a contract. A contract would probably be more fair. It's civil service law. The only minimum is to hire at least one person, but there is no time minimum. The 4 year's is the time they can use that list before it is expired (once the list is certified 4 years begin), and can only be extended by a judge as far as I know. You can't say the people that weren't hired on the last list weren't given a chance. In fact they were. Had they scored higher, they would have been called. They didn't, so they weren't.

On another note,

Why would anyone be offended by your explanation? It at the very least sounds very well thought out to me. It sounds as if you've been involved in a few flaming wars or something.

Thanks for the kind words, and yes, there have been a lot of flaming wars around me on these boards. You haven't been here long enough to know that some of the users here have hearts of glass and cry when you either disagree with them, call them out when they are wrong, on their racism, or ignorance. I'm not very well liked here by some. I don't hold any punches when I see BSers or racists. I also am not a keyboard tough guy like some of the users here, and would gladly say what I say here to the same person's face. That makes me the devil according to some.

No one said anything about any breakers.. But right there cant be any load on the circuit when breaking it to stop any more arcing

If your train is in service then your breakers are on to power all of the subsystems in the car - door control, trainline electric brake, battery, A/C or heat, compressor, lights, PA, Motor generator/inverter, you name it.

At any given time when a train is in service several of those will be on and active at the same time, and a few of them run off of the 600.

If you pull the main knife switch (which would be very hard to do if you're stopped in a station and the MKS is on the platform side), you'd break all that current at the MKS and make a huge arc that would leave a few burn marks. Subway third rail arcs may look interesting, but if you're standing near one that goes on for even a few seconds, it gets VERY hot. Now imagine having your hand in there.

ZORCH!

In that case, the arcing is continuing, and your train is stopped in the station. You can't move, it's not safe to. Whistling for assistance is a bit outdated, nowadays you'd certainly radio control and let them know what's going on regardless.

You would never open the MKS outside of in a yard if work is to be done on a car (and you want to prevent the car from moving).

Cutting out the control circuit wouldn't do anything since the arcing is going on when your train is stopped. All you're going to be doing is cutting out a motor circuit that's not in use anyway. If there's arcing, the motor circuit isn't why.

Pulling the nearest emergency alarm box would kill the power from the third rail, which would cut the power to that section of track and stop the arcing.

The correct answer for both questions is C. Try these guys below.

1. The brake pipe will recharge if the ME-23 brake valve is held in:

A. Service

B. Release

C. Handle-off

D. Lap

2. The PROPER way to move a car having inoperative air brakes from a lay-up into the shop is to operate it slowly:

A. Coupled to a car or cars with good brakes

B. With a slight hand brake applied

C. Using the reverser to stop the car

D. With a flagman walking ahead

3. A motorman in the subway observes a white lantern moving up and down rapidly some distance ahead of his moving train. If his train has not passed any other warning lantern, the motorman should acknowledge the lantern with a whistle signal and:

A. Stop

B. Reduce speed to 10 M.P.H

C. Proceed

D. Prepare to stop within range of vision

4. Two positions of the master controller which are running positions are:

A. Off and switching

B. Switching and series

C. Switching and multiple

D. Series and multiple

5. Battery power is used on subway cars to supply energy to the:

A. Car Heaters

B. Fans

C. Main car lights

D. Emergency lights

6. The dead-man feature on subway cars is inoperative when ever the:

A. Controller is in the off position

B. Brake handle is in the release position

C. Reverser key is centered

D. Reverser key is reversed

7. The train whistle signal consisting of two long and two short sounds is a(n)

A. Indication that the train has overrun or stopped short of the station

B. Call for road car inspector

C. Call for police officer

D. Indication to the tower man to change a signal indication

8. Motormen become acquainted with new regulations MAINLY through:

A. Talking to other motormen

B. School-car instruction

C. Notices posted on bulletin boards

D. Re-issues of the book of rules

9. If an ambulance is required because someone is injured in the subway, motormen are instructed to notify the transit police department and have the transit police call for the ambulance. It is MOST important for the motormen to tell the transit police:

A. Where the ambulance is needed

B. His own name and badge number

C. Whether the injured party is male or female

D. How severe the injuries are.

10. A motorman/ train operator who sounded four short blasts would be

A. Signaling the tower man to change the route or clear the signal

B. Signaling for a car inspector to meet the train

C. Sounding the alarm for persons on or near the track

D. Warning the conductor that the train has stopped short of the station platform

While the actual civil Service test is dumbed down,the tests they give you in schoolcar are not.

Every week we got a 20 question quiz with a 80% passing rate.We had a 40 question midterm and a 60 question final.You MUST get 80% on those 2 tests or else you fail out of the course.

Then you have the 4 hands on practical tests which you must pass.

one major reason why they opened it up to the public is because a lot of people on the promotional more likely wont end up taking the job........i dont think they want to go extra/extra again, especially if they have a decent seniority # and a decent picked job......some only go to get weekends off during schoolcar, and then come back........

one major reason why they opened it up to the public is because a lot of people on the promotional more likely wont end up taking the job........i dont think they want to go extra/extra again, especially if they have a decent seniority # and a decent picked job......some only go to get weekends off during schoolcar, and then come back........

Wow! To think some people already within the company go through this process just to get a few weekends off lol. On that note, how long must one be within the MTA to even begin to talk about weekends? Thx!

Wow! To think some people already within the company go through this process just to get a few weekends off lol. On that note, how long must one be within the MTA to even begin to talk about weekends? Thx!

it really depends.........

when i was a s/a, i couldnt touch weekends unless i had at least 10 years, and i'd probably have to do midnights.......

as a c/r, im sure you can get weekends quicker than as a t/o........

but if i had to throw a # out there(im sure zman,or bill may know the awnser to your question), id say at least 15 years..........

it really depends.........

when i was a s/a, i couldnt touch weekends unless i had at least 10 years, and i'd probably have to do midnights.......

as a c/r, im sure you can get weekends quicker than as a t/o........

but if i had to throw a # out there(im sure zman,or bill may know the awnser to your question), id say at least 15 years..........

Wow incredible number, it's understandable I guess. However, it's surely a bit of a sacrifice one must make for a large chunk of their life. Your obviously a big R-Type fan, which is your favorite lol?

Archived