MTA Starts training 30 new T/O next month

Jersey 316

I wish you guys would stop making stuff up about this. The only ones here with fact are two timer, primo, and prince.

As for your question Prince. They aren't using logic. It's purely their speculation. They see 30 spots available, so that means 833 spots will be up 12 months from now. The trend that is happening is about 50% of the promotional list people get hired, and it's close to that here right now with someone in the 50's called up and 30 hired. For the speculators to be right, then about 500 of the 833 should be hired and they would have to hire on average 60 T/O's a month for the list to be exhausted in the next 12 months. It's more likely the promotional is probably going to take at least 2 years minimum. The only way the promotional list would be exhausted in a year is if they have two very very large classes or more, and with all the trying to cut down costs, this is not likely, but not impossible. Right now, there is no more scheduled T/O hiring past the 10/18 class TwoTimer mentioned. That however does not mean they aren't hiring past 10/18, or that they don't have plans. They just don't have any exact numbers planned or scheduled. Transit does not usually have scheduled hires for a long period ahead of time, they go by what they need and schedule it that way as the needs arise at that time.

No one has been called up as of yet for the conductor promotional. They have not scheduled anything there as of today. Once they get these two T/O classes going, they will schedule the 20 C/R callups. It's also 20 for conductor as opposed to 30 for T/O because there are B/O's on the T/O promotional list as well, so no one is moving up 30 spots in seniority in the conductor title because they hired 30 T/O. Check your math.

Locomotion, the older O/C list is done for T/O and for C/R. They will never hire from those two old lists again. They are on the current promotional list and will not call up any conductors or train operators from the current O/C lists until the promotional lists are done. For T/O and C/R they do not use multiple O/C lists. There is no O/C hiring on either T/O or C/R for a while, so don't get your hopes up if you are waiting for C/R or T/O on the O/C lists. No one from either O/C list will get called up in 2010. They still have 333 left on the O/C C/R list before the 20 that are getting called up. After the 20 callup the remaining promotionals will probably be around 300 to 290 left.

And to make it clear, if someone is not promoted and they are on the promotional list, it is not only for sick time. It could be for a bad record of another type, or they simply turned down the promotion because they have a good amount of seniority in their current position (bus operator or conductor) and do not want to go back to the bottom of the seniority list. Part of the reason they are high up on the list is the score they got on the test, but also part of their list number is years working at Transit. If person A has 15 years at Transit and scored a 99, and person B has 1 year at Transit, but scored 100, person A would get a better list number than person B because the years of service count as well. Also T/O's make a couple of dollars more an hour than C/R's but are responsible for a lot more crap, so some people may figure on staying in their position when considering all this since they already have seniority and stability where they are now.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup its sick time, operational record and personal choice among other factors...

I gave this bell curve senario.

If you're still early in your career (4 years) and you're young like me (just turned 29 and I'm in that class on 20 T/O next week), go. If your late in your career and looking to pad that pension a lil bit and you don't mind the xtra list again, go. If you're in the middle (agewise and timewise) and got a family (I don't), stay and if you cant pick weekends off in your current title yet, you will be able to within the next few years. Some of my classmates in the B division already got a piece of the weekend as C/R with 4 years seniority.

What I'de like to know is what happened with all the massive influx of retirees that The Chief and other publications were talking about back in 07-08?

Did they suddenly have a change of heart or something? Did they instead chose to tack on another 5 years to their pension benefits? Or was it all nonsense? I'm gonna go with nonsense for now.

Does MTA and Dcas have a case for calling from the Prom list when the 2085 OC list is not schedule to expire until Oct 4?

The don't have to keep it for 4 years. Once they hire one or more people from it, they can end it whenever they please.

What I'de like to know is what happened with all the massive influx of retirees that The Chief and other publications were talking about back in 07-08?

Did they suddenly have a change of heart or something? Did they instead chose to tack on another 5 years to their pension benefits? Or was it all nonsense? I'm gonna go with nonsense for now.

Part of it was nonsense, part of it was the bad economy, so some stayed on longer (some have child support, mortgages, kids in college, etc, so they can't afford to retire.) and some of it was the MTA not replacing them and instead paying a crapload of overtime to current employees. You usually get a big wave of retirees when the minimum work time has passed since a certain test. Let's say they hire 500 T/O's in the next year. in 2035 you may get 250 retirees because they did their 25 years and are atleast 55. That is of course assuming there is still the 25/55 rule by 2035, but who knows what will come of all this)

IDK about the others but I'm out of there in a week and quite a few of the people in front of me have already been paroled. Just because you haven't read about it doesn't mean it's not happening. FWIW I'm guessing that the bean counters have stipulated that for every 5 retirees replace them with 3 new people and see how that works. I keep pointing out that the new mantra is "reduce headcount" and payroll. There's not going to be a one to one replacement quota ever again and you can take that to the bank. That's why there won't be a massive hiring binge for any title. Why do that when they can pay the current workers OT or add trips to their schedules ? They figure that it's more cost effective than hiring. There probably won't be classes of 60+ C/Rs or T/Os ever again IMO.

I came in a class of 60, 2:1 split B:A. And they are really looking at the jobs now, seeing where they can pack in the most work for 8 hours. I notice many of the 1 trippers and 1/2 trippers on the (5) in the AM's/Midz are gone, the 2 trippers out of Parkchester a lot fewer than even when I came out few years back. As we all know, Grady's 11 hour 1 tripper retired with him, that job does substancially more work than it used to.

Two classes. Up to list number 53 on the promo list 8562, 20 promoted T/O next Monday (9/27), another 10 on 10/18. Those passed over had lackluster sick time.

Actually at minimum they went up to list# 56 on the O/C train op promo list. I know this because my boy is # 56. Took his med on Wednesday. Also I saw a memo today informing the dispatchers of the promo's that lists the "19" people promoted to go into that class on monday. 19!!!!???? WTF???

I must tell you all. One certain way to keep the MTA from cutting jobs is to OPERATE according to SCHOOL CAR. Running "hot" and taking short cuts only give management the feedback that they can do more with less. With ridership at all time highs it is in everyones interest to slow down, do your job the right way and you will get the help needed ( added runs etc). Cutting corners literally results in you cutting your own throat. Jobs would not have been cut but needed to be filled if people would have listened to this. It's not too late to do things the right way so management cannot skirt their obligation of maintaining adequate service for the customers. As workers we can't afford to pick up the slack. It will put us on the unemployment line. Take notice of the Station Agents. So many of them jumped on that pilot program for the kiosks to get the weekends off. They gave up their job duties because they thought it was easier on them. Didn't have to sell fare cards etc...Only to find themselves not needed and neutralized. :cry:

IDK about the others but I'm out of there in a week and quite a few of the people in front of me have already been paroled. Just because you haven't read about it doesn't mean it's not happening. FWIW I'm guessing that the bean counters have stipulated that for every 5 retirees replace them with 3 new people and see how that works. I keep pointing out that the new mantra is "reduce headcount" and payroll. There's not going to be a one to one replacement quota ever again and you can take that to the bank. That's why there won't be a massive hiring binge for any title. Why do that when they can pay the current workers OT or add trips to their schedules ? They figure that it's more cost effective than hiring. There probably won't be classes of 60+ C/Rs or T/Os ever again IMO.

You got that right i doubt that the (MTA) will do something like that again my Oct 29th 01 class was 60. IF people was smart back THEN they had the chance to jump on board, but no some thought a T/O's job was "beneath them".... Now they will be lucky if they are called in the next two or three years...

Actually at minimum they went up to list# 56 on the O/C train op promo list. I know this because my boy is # 56. Took his med on Wednesday. Also I saw a memo today informing the dispatchers of the promo's that lists the "19" people promoted to go into that class on monday. 19!!!!???? WTF???

Everyone's been saying 20 - you didn't want to believe. The class of 22 consists of 19 promos, 1 returning to Transit, 1 returning to T/O after a DCAS case and one demotion to T/O.

Among the 19 are one B/O & one SA.

Everyone's been saying 20 - you didn't want to believe. The class of 22 consists of 19 promos, 1 returning to Transit, 1 returning to T/O after a DCAS case and one demotion to T/O.

Among the 19 are one B/O & one SA.

HOLY CRAP!!!!:confused: Well, like we say/pray in City Field stadium " YOU GOTTA BELIEEEEVE!!!":p

Once again, they don't have to keep it for 4 years. Once they hire one or more people from it, they can end it whenever they please.

That is extremely unfair, almost unbelievable. However, I wouldnt put it past the MTA to prioritize exam taking, after all they do make several hundred thousand dollars on these exams.

Is that true for all DCAS exams? There are no minimum hiring quotas that exist from a list?

The minimum hiring quota is simply 1. As long as 1 person is hired, they can cancel the list after. True for all DCAS exams as far as I am aware of. I'm wondering what they are going to do with the Station Agent list that they have yet to hire from because they laid so many off. My guess on this would be to let the preferred list the laid off station agents are on expire after four years, then hire a few people off the O/C list and then cancel that. Since they are closing so many Booths, it's highly unlikely they will ever really need to hire many Station Agents from this point on, with the exception of the obvious stations that would need them, such as Times Square, Penn Station, etc. There is no information being given about this list though so it's a wait and see thing.

That is extremely unfair, almost unbelievable. However, I wouldnt put it past the MTA to prioritize exam taking, after all they do make several hundred thousand dollars on these exams.

DCAS is City run, the MTA makes no money from the tests. It's basically outsourcing the test. You also have to look at it from the MTA's eyes. What would you rather hire from at the MTA? Someone that got a 90 from the O/C or someone from the promotional, who already has some MTA training and knows the system, that got a 98 on the test? Then also look at someone getting a 90 on the old O/C and someone getting a 98 on the new O/C. The exams are there to test you, so if you look at the numbers, the MTA would look at the 98's and say they are either smarter, know more, or pay more attention than the 90 scorers. Wouldn't you rather hire employees you feel are smarter, rather than scrape the bottom of the barrel? If someone got a 98 or 100, it's safe to assume they are probably better at following direction than the guy who got a 94 since those Conductor and Train Operator tests basically are tests to see if you are paying attention. They are by no means tests for intelligence. It's multiple choice. All the correct answers are in front of you. It really doesn't require much thought. It does require paying attention though. If they gave the Train Operator tests they used to give years ago, most people would fail them since the old tests actually required you to know how a train works and everything else involved with working one. Anyone offended by what I just said go cry to someone else, I don't really care if you are offended. The truth hurts. Deal with it.

Here are two questions from an old test when it required actually knowing about the train. These questions were asked without a paragraph that has all the answers before you read the questions the way the tests are now. I'll edit later and post the correct answers.

The motorman of a train stopped in a station notices that there is considerable arcing underneath his car. His BEST initial action is to:

A. Whistle for assistance

B. Open the main Knife switch

C. Pull the nearest emergency alarm

D. Pull the control switch

Before starting his train to enter a shop building, the motorman MUST:

A. Make a brake test

B. Set out a warning flag or lantern

C. Sound the proper whistle signal

D. Energize the shop third rail

Archived