Restructuring MTA Regional Bus Operations

East New York

I totally understand. It's just that everything is so crazy right now, that it almost seems as anything could happen. My suggestion was the state make up the difference, or they need to make Nassau pay their fair share. But yeah, I see MTA pulling out unless the come up with some kind of agreement.

To get them to pay MTA should pull LIRR service from stopping in Nassau county, see how fast they start to pay their share.

In an effort to further streamline operations, the MTA will replace the all the radios on NYCT, and MTABC buses. The new radio system will be merged together, and both divisions will share a dispatch command center in ENY.

And how much will this cost to put together? I understand that in the long term this will save money and is needed for streamlining/merger purposes, but it still just sounds unnecessary at this moment.

And how much will this cost to put together? I understand that in the long term this will save money and is needed for streamlining/merger purposes, but it still just sounds unnecessary at this moment.

It's definitely needed. The radio systems of the two divisions are outdated. The new ones will be GPS compatible. I'm not sure of how much it will cost until a contract has been awarded. By both MTABC and NYCT sharing the same system, they can better plan for unforeseen circumstances, and subway shuttles. And when the time comes for the two to merge, operational wise, all will be ready to go from the start.

So if spring creek becomes a training facility then what happens to the operators there? Will become like another zerega ?

The Op's wouldn't go anywhere. It would be like Baisley Park. After the takeover, BP was designated as MTABC Training Facility.

I've never seen LI operators use the radios on the Orions. They either barely say a thing at all, have the Clever Devices announcements on, or actually talk and have the sign on...

In the future, radio messages will flash across a screen, so you won't see that many NYCT/MTAB drivers using them much either.

Since this is about the restructuring of (MTA) Regional Bus, what about the fate of LIBus? Walder seems to be hinting at a change in the status of LiBus from a MTA subsidiary...

“Bus service is the responsibility of each individual county [outside of New York City],” Walder said. “Nassau County is unwilling to meet the responsibility we provide on its behalf. Some say that we’ve been doing it for so long, that it’d be wrong to change it now. That’s not the right position to take.”

The cost of running Nassau’s bus service was the major factor in Walder’s assessment of Long Island Bus. Despite several cost cutting practices, Walder stated that the MTA’s finances are continually in the red, a situation due mainly to state budget cuts, he said. Placing the responsibility of running Nassau’s transit system back into the hands of the county would create a substantial recurring savings for the MTA’s financial problems, Walder said.

Walder left the morning meeting saying that his next appointment for the day was in Mineola with County Executive Ed Mangano, where he planned to bring up Long Island Bus.

More here: http://libn.com/blog/2010/11/08/mta-wants-off-nassau-bus-service/

Since this is about the restructuring of (MTA) Regional Bus, what about the fate of LIBus? Walder seems to be hinting at a change in the status of LiBus from a MTA subsidiary...

We are pretty much in limbo right now. But until the MTA officially drops LIB, it is still part of Regional Bus Ops.

Looks like a few (three, actually) companies are looking into trying to take over LIB...

It's going to fail horribly. I can understand Mangano's intention with wanting to keep bus service running, and it's great - but it's not going to run as it is today in terms of how many buses run and how frequently. It will collapse on itself and all these people needing to get around, all the people that can't drive for physical reasons, all the elderly and the school students, and especially people who work on LI and need to get to their jobs will suffer. Because people can't get to their jobs, their jobs will be hit just as hard without an employee doing their job.

Walder and Mangano are two arrogant dips***s that apparently don't remember something we all know and abide by:

If you want something, you have to pay for it.

It would take an act of God for either the MTA to ask for less, for Mangano to actually pay without bankrupting the county (which is what he thinks will happen if he pays the amount the MTA wants), or for Walder to throw himself off a bridge (take the Williamsburg... if you're afraid of heights, jump in front of a train!) and be replaced by someone that actually knows how to run a transit agency...

But I think this is all a giant game of chicken, and the riders (myself included) are the collateral in case someone cries foul and wants out...

Its not fair LIB get something for nothing but the MTA also knew sometime ago LIB was not puttin in enuff. This a problem that should have been worked out in the 90's instead of let it go on for this to happen. Down here in GA Cobb & Gwinnett county didn't wanna pay MARTA 1% Tax. They start CCT & GCT both ran by Veolia but clayton try the LIB role with Ctran. Unlike the MTA MARTA stop fronting the Bill once they could not cover there 20M budget only puttin 9M up towards it they folded in 2009 after only 3yr.

Walder and Mangano are two arrogant dips***s that apparently don't remember something we all know and abide by:

If you want something, you have to pay for it.

It would take an act of God for either the MTA to ask for less, for Mangano to actually pay without bankrupting the county (which is what he thinks will happen if he pays the amount the MTA wants), or for Walder to throw himself off a bridge (take the Williamsburg... if you're afraid of heights, jump in front of a train!) and be replaced by someone that actually knows how to run a transit agency...

But I think this is all a giant game of chicken, and the riders (myself included) are the collateral in case someone cries foul and wants out...

Exactly. So the question is: Where's Walder going to get the LIB money from? His printing press?

I just recieved a call about the future of RBO. In yet another effort to streamline RBO operations, The MTA is set to award an NYCT contract with clauses for both MTA Bus, and Long Island Bus in the fine print!! WTH????

Monday morning, November 15th, the Bus Committee of MTA will meet to discuss several topics. One of which will be a contract to be awarded to Giro, Inc. A software licensing company.

The plan is to obtain board approval to utilize a non-competitive NYCT Contract to obtain Hastus Software licenses for MTA Bus Company, to govern the route-by-route movement of buses and bus operator assignments. This process will better align MTAB operations with those of NYCT.

There is also an option in the contract to add licenses, and services to Long Island Bus as well. Exercise of this option is up to the discretion of the MTABC Director of Contracts......

So, If MTA does end up keeping LIB, it looks like it may be folded into MTAB once and for all!!!!B) This will be very interesting to see how it all plays out! We are definitely one step closer to the eventual merger of MTAB and NYCT!!!

Read more here on page 48!

It is official! The Metropolitan Transit Authority is currently investigating the pros and cons of completely merging NYCT, and MTABC. In more ways than one, the process has already begun. There is supposedly a timetable set for when they would like the merger to be complete, but I do not know when it is, or if it is official at this time. Tomorrow evening should have a full update across the board on most of the DOB's current projects.

More talk, plans, and proposals to restructure MTA Regional Bus.

-As originally posted by KR, I have now confirmed that MTA plans to revoke LaGuardia Depot's status as North Queens Division Headquarters. The plan is to Make College Point, and Casey Stengel Depots "North Queens Division Regional Headquarters!"

-Brooklyn division will also be divided into two regions just like Queens. As of right now, the TA is considering both Flatbush and Spring Creek depots to assume the role. I am also being told that their could be a shake-up of the northern division as well. Fresh Pond Depot is the current division headquarters for all of Brooklyn, and this could soon change. Right now I don't have word on what exactly what will happen, but ENY came up in the discussion. As most of you know, ENY is currently the Surface Transit Headquarters for all Regional Bus Operations. ENY could possibly take over as Brooklyn HQ as well, or be combined as a regional HQ with Fresh Pond. Details of the nothern division plans are still sketchy at this time, and could possibly remain as is.

More Merger Talk!

-Spring Creek Depot, which is currently operating WITHOUT a contract, could be one of the first MTAB depots to be folded into NYCT! I am being told that nothing is final yet, all options are still being explored, and this is likely to happen only after the surface dispatch merger of NYCT, and MTAB, which has already been confirmed.

It is official! The Metropolitan Transit Authority is currently investigating the pros and cons of completely merging NYCT, and MTABC. In more ways than one, the process has already begun. There is supposedly a timetable set for when they would like the merger to be complete, but I do not know when it is, or if it is official at this time. Tomorrow evening should have a full update across the board on most of the DOB's current projects.

About time. This is the kind of structural change the agency needs to do more of.

• 3 weeks later...

*The MTA is set to award a contract to Clever Devices for Automatic Vehicle Monitoring, and Intelligent Vehicle Network hardware, software, and components. The AVM monitors exhaust pipe heat and emissions. These devices are similar to the ones on the NG's, and some of our MCI's. The IVN is the GPS system from what I understand.

These devices and components will be installed in 426 new buses to be delivered to the following depots in 2011, and 2012. College Point, Fresh Pond, Gleason, Queens Village, Ulmer Park, and West Farms. The TA has an option to equip an additional 1,150 buses with the devices.

*I am being told that MTA will retain the operations of LIB, and better integrate the system into Regional Bus Operations. During his months committee meeting, the MTA board is to make a final vote for LIB funding. As of right now, plans are to provide a budget for 2011 LIB ops.

*Rumor has it, College Point Depot will become part of NYCT in 2011. I'm still awaiting confirmation, as Spring Creek is also rumored to become part of TA. Stay tuned!!

*I am being told that MTA will retain the operations of LIB, and better integrate the system into Regional Bus Operations. During his months committee meeting, the MTA board is to make a final vote for LIB funding. As of right now, plans are to provide a budget for 2011 LIB ops.

Yayyyy:)

Great News

Thanks ENY:)

*The MTA is set to award a contract to Clever Devices for Automatic Vehicle Monitoring, and Intelligent Vehicle Network hardware, software, and components. The AVM monitors exhaust pipe heat and emissions. These devices are similar to the ones on the NG's, and some of our MCI's. The IVN is the GPS system from what I understand.

These devices and components will be installed in 426 new buses to be delivered to the following depots in 2011, and 2012. College Point, Fresh Pond, Gleason, Queens Village, Ulmer Park, and West Farms. The TA has an option to equip an additional 1,150 buses with the devices.

*Rumor has it, College Point Depot will become part of NYCT in 2011. I'm still awaiting confirmation, as Spring Creek is also rumored to become part of TA. Stay tuned!!

Whoa x 3 :eek:

I know there rumors though but still. :cool:

College Point into NYCTA? If anything I thought it'd go the other way with NYCTA/LIB going into MTAB or just all coming together as the RBO.

Whoa x 3 :eek:

I know there rumors though but still. :cool:

College Point into NYCTA? If anything I thought it'd go the other way with NYCTA/LIB going into MTAB or just all coming together as the RBO.

I need to clear something up. I just noticed that I erroneously added in that 426 buses will be equipped with CleverDevices. I meant to type that 426 buses will receive new cameras, to be installed in 2011, and 2012. The rest of the info about CleverDevices is correct. Sorry guys. I had way two much on the brain when I made those posts. It was brought to my attention, so I wanted to clear that up.

Rumors mean nothing. Seriously. This is New York, where anything can happen, or not happen, or happen and then un-happen. (Anybody who has paid attention to NY politics in general, and the MTA in particular, has seen everything and nothing happen at the same time!)

I tend to follow two basic rules...

1. Don't bet on anything until after it happens.

2. Even then, don't bet more than $1 because things can still get weird.

Archived