2nd Avenue subway construction protested by business owners

Shortline Bus

2nd Avenue subway construction protested

Eyewitness News staff

UPPER EAST SIDE (WABC-TV Oct. 24, 2010) -- The 2nd Avenue subway will eventually be a great addition for city commuters. But construction has been anything but great for nearby business owners and residents. They say the disruption has wreaked havoc on their lives and livelihoods and on Sunday they took the streets in protest, pleading with the MTA to stop.

Upper East Side resident Marcelo Ronchini said, "We've been under this construction with their feet on our throats for three and a half years."

They say the 2nd Avenue subway construction is putting the brakes on their businesses. Choking off pedestrian traffic and kicking up dust. They say this long-term project has slowly, but surely killed the neighborhood.

Among other things, the group is calling for financial aid for struggling businesses.

They say dozens of restaurants and stores have closed since construction began. And the ones that haven't closed are losing money.

Business owner Peter Yu said, "We have a right to be here. It's completely unfair."

The MTA has already promised to clean up construction areas and re-pave chopped up sidewalks.

They've also pledged to widen the walkways in front of businesses and cut down on the noise.

While this coalition of business owners and residents welcomes the changes, that alone won't keep some of the neighborhood businesses in business for long.

(Copyright ©2010 WABC-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local&id=7742989

I wished we had a transit Robert Moses. He would just destroy their houses and stores by tearing them down. How hilarious would that be :P. That's how he was. He didn't care if he removed a million people. He got things done. If you don't like it then get out that's what he would be like.

Either stop building it and ride the SRO Lex Lines or deal with it.

Actually stop building it will be better idea and save a lot of money when this project is never finish on time and on budget.

Besides Lexington Avenue SRO, we been dealing with it since they tear down the 3rd Avenue EL

I wished we had a transit Robert Moses. He would just destroy their houses and stores by tearing them down. How hilarious would that be :P. That's how he was. He didn't care if he removed a million people. He got things done. If you don't like it then get out that's what he would be like.

Roadcruiser not sure if you seen this Ch.7 news clip. Not just the owners but a few residents on 2nd Ave are now joining in as well demanding $$$. Or else they will sue to stop the project.

What i find intresting is their Attorney is Normal Siegal former head of the ALCU and 'counsel' for many police bruality/racial bias cases in the recent past.

I wonder how New Yorkers dealt with the construction of the earlier subway back in the early 1900s?

Very simple, New Yorkers back then were born without a broom in their ass. Now fast forward to 2010 there's people in that neighborhood who have money coming out the nose and broomstick shoved up where the sun doesn't shine and because subway construction is playing with their money, they let the broomstick talk.

Plain and simple they need to shut up because one phase 1, just phase 1 of the subway opens, their business will BOOM! They don't think ahead. Isn't MTA compensating them?

Plain and simple they need to shut up because one phase 1, just phase 1 of the subway opens, their business will BOOM! They don't think ahead. Isn't MTA compensating them?

They are but there still angry.

I wished we had a transit Robert Moses. He would just destroy their houses and stores by tearing them down. How hilarious would that be . That's how he was. He didn't care if he removed a million people. He got things done. If you don't like it then get out that's what he would be like.

That properly happen in a alternate universe.

I wonder how New Yorkers dealt with the construction of the earlier subway back in the early 1900s?

Very simple, New Yorkers back then were born without a broom in their ass. Now fast forward to 2010 there's people in that neighborhood who have money coming out the nose and broomstick shoved up where the sun doesn't shine and because subway construction is playing with their money, they let the broomstick talk.

Not true at all, they complained then as now.

The difference is in 1900, work went on around the clock, and work progressed on all sections at once rather than just one area at a time. So while there was a headache, it was shorter.

Manhattan 1900-1905 was an absolute disaster. People complained a lot, and they hated it, but they ultimately dealt with it and moved on.

They can complain all they want about it today. As long as the work keeps progressing IDGAF.

They need to be helping these businesses out a bit more, especially in this economy when who knows how many are struggling. It's going to be this way till they are done, they shoulda built it earlier but oh well.

- A

They need to be helping these businesses out a bit more, especially in this economy when who knows how many are struggling. It's going to be this way till they are done, they shoulda built it earlier but oh well.

- A

This maybe controversial but IMO, I think the (MTA) should just offer at 'fair' market a chance for these businesses stores to be brought out for duration of the project.

Then when it's done, give them first crack to re-open. This project is being bulit during maybe the worst recession since the 1930's so it's a double whammy.

I feel sorry for the residents and the businesses in the area but the truth of the matter is that the East Side needs another subway line. There will be inconviences but as long as the businesses are getting some kind of compensation (I hope they are), then they need to keep on living life as normally as they can while this construction is happening. In my opinion, ALL of the 2nd Ave subway needs to be built NOW so that this project doesn't have to be prolonged any further. Time will tell what happens with this line but one thing is for sure, the 2nd Ave line is a MUST and I hope the residents and business owners in the area don't do anything to stop this project from happening.

Why do people here think that everyone needs compensation? Do you know where that compensation would come from? A bankrupt MTA, a bankrupt city/state, a bankrupt federal government, or bankrupt taxpayers.

You want to give everyone a handout rather than force them to deal with the same hard times everyone else is dealing with, but yet you know who's paying for that handout? You are, they are, and I am. You want to give them a handout with their own money.

A lot of the profligate spending is a result of handouts and entitlements. The government's role is to enforce fairness, not compensate people to create it. Government should be off taxing the rich and screwing over companies that send jobs overseas. They should not be compensating businesses who claim they're losing money due to subway construction.

And that's spoken as someone who went to the Taco Bell on 94th and 2nd once a week, until it closed.

How about this: If the owners can provide proof that revenues declined from before the construction, then they should get subsidies to make up for the difference. Then if business increases due to increased activites from people exiting the stations, they should pay back the MTA/government the 'excess profits' to pay off their loans.

That or they should put up with it or move.

How about this: If the owners can provide proof that revenues declined from before the construction, then they should get subsidies to make up for the difference. Then if business increases due to increased activites from people exiting the stations, they should pay back the MTA/government the 'excess profits' to pay off their loans.

That or they should put up with it or move.

Verifying the "proof" costs the taxpayers money, so no, that shouldn't happen.

Like the others said, put up with the construction, or get out. Once that subway is up and running, you'll be dying to get your spot that another business had taken, since you were impatient.

Issue that the owners along SAS bring up is this. The project is not close to being done and won't be finished (the 1st portion to 96th)until 2016-17.

By then almost all of them will be out of business.

Most likely only large business would be able to survive Second Avenue. Those that are chain businesses, stores, and restaurants. Including the ones that are rich and can just dump some money to live another 5 to 6 years. Shortline Bus you are right with a economy like this almost none of those business are in good shape and if it keeps going they won't survive. They would go bankrupt before 2016. Not just that the residents would complain about the safety and the noise and landlords would lose renters to rent out apartments to. People won't buy houses, and condos around Second Avenue. If this happens most of Second Avenue would become a dead zone by 2016. Not just that construction in the future basically affect the entire length of Second Avenue at some point as well.

I mean look at this map:

Second_Avenue_Subway_Map.jpg

Second Avenue is a really long avenue. A lot of people would be affected at some point. It's impossible to assume that the rest of Second Avenue wouldn't complain. The (MTA)'s capital construction plan estimates that the whole length of Second Avenue would be complete on 2065. So if it takes that long to complete it would be a nightmare. Now I know it just plain stupid to get rid of the Second and Third Avenue El. At least keep one of them standing but no we couldn't have had copied Chicago. Makes me wonder how stupid some New Yorkers are. :mad: One thing is for certain there is going to be a lot of empty places for rent by Second Avenue on 2016.

That why i say when (if ever)this project is done at least the 1st phrase is done, in the era of NIMBY's, i say say the (Q) a reborn (W) or w/e to 96th and call it a day.

This project is an example why I long advocated for light rail in NYC to bulid a semi-rapid transit that much quicker and cheaper to bulid than this.

Again maybe the feds and (MTA) need to pay a final time to the owners to finally finish this damn project.

Being fair if any of you calling on the owners and residents on there to 'shut up and put up with me' or dreaming of a mass transit Robert Moses Think this.

Suppose you or your family lived in that area and your apartment now sees rats and other rodents. Is that fair? Or your family owned a donut shop in that area. Would you be happy the business went under because of the (MTA) screw up? There needs to be a compromoise somewhere. Unlike the outerboroughs NIMBY's which has killed subway extension projects over the last 50 years, a majority of 2nd Ave Residents and Businesses (not all)did support this project in papers I read, when it was re-started over 3 years ago.

I rather the Owners and residents, on the SAS get a little more $$$ than this get damn project delayed and probably permanently stopped.

Archived