Christie kills ARC tunnel....again!

DaTransitMan4608

I dont understand why Politics Have to play such as role in these Transportation issues...And why does everyone have get "paid back"for the cost of the tunnel???? If it benefits the region as a whole whats the problem? These politicians want more and more money..You cant take it with you when you drop dead done day....Other region in the world such as Dubai ,China Build first and ask questions later...Yea they may be in debt now but In due time they will rise to the forefront becuse of there Enthusiasm...I personally do not ride NJ Transit or Amtrak except for the times Required when Ive flown in/out of Newark or Amtrak to Atlanta...But I do know enough to know that one way in and one way out of Penn Station In 2010 Using 100 year old tunnels Considering the At capacity Use ,Killin 6,000 construction Jobs Even after Possible options for finance overuns, Mr chrsitie should be ...Truth be told they shouldve Constructed 4 tunnels back in 1910 like they did on the East river side...We woulndt have this issue now....:P:mad::tdown:

Let's break it down for fun.

I dont understand why Politics Have to play such as role in these Transportation issues...

Simple. Governments fund 'em. With government comes politics.

And why does everyone have get "paid back"for the cost of the tunnel???? If it benefits the region as a whole whats the problem?

Someone's gotta pay for it.

These politicians want more and more money..You cant take it with you when you drop dead done day....

Ah, but many of them don't think past next year's election.

Other region in the world such as Dubai ,China Build first and ask questions later...Yea they may be in debt now but In due time they will rise to the forefront becuse of there Enthusiasm...

Actually, Dubai already had money. And last I checked, China doesn't exactly have a "modernized" economy on the grand scale. Certain pockets have been modernized (like Shanghai), but on the whole, China's pretty poor quality.

I personally do not ride NJ Transit or Amtrak except for the times Required when Ive flown in/out of Newark or Amtrak to Atlanta...But I do know enough to know that one way in and one way out of Penn Station In 2010 Using 100 year old tunnels Considering the At capacity Use ,Killin 6,000 construction Jobs Even after Possible options for finance overuns, Mr chrsitie should be ...

:confused: I can't even figure out where the sentences begin, let alone end. Yes, the tunnels aren't enough. But unless you can pay for them, they won't be built, especially in this economy.

Truth be told they shouldve Constructed 4 tunnels back in 1910 like they did on the East river side...We woulndt have this issue now....:P:mad::tdown

Back then it wasn't necessary. Today, the city is close to 6x the size it was back then. More people = need for more capacity. So don't go blaming the Penn RR for not overbuilding. Thank them that we have tunnels that are still going for 100 years and not some crappy tunnel like under the Channel Tunnel.

US population in 1910 was 96 million, today it's all most 320 million. We are the 3rd largest country in terms of population, and in fact back in 1910 nyc's population was 4.7 million compared to 8.3 million today. Also a factor is the population of new jersey, which in 1910 was just over 2 million, today about 9 million or more. Pennsylvania growing from 7 million to nearly 13 million also.

Many, many people in PA, myself included, ride (NJT), most of them every day, so you need to include that number.

What blubber fat is doing, is basically saying that (NJT) isn't important to the economic, social, and educational status of NJ, which any sane person knows is beyond any logic or reason. He isn't trying to save money, he just dislikes transit.

- A

US population in 1910 was 96 million, today it's all most 320 million. We are the 3rd largest country in terms of population, and in fact back in 1910 nyc's population was 4.7 million compared to 8.3 million today. Also a factor is the population of new jersey, which in 1910 was just over 2 million, today about 9 million or more. Pennsylvania growing from 7 million to nearly 13 million also.

Many, many people in PA, myself included, ride (NJT), most of them every day, so you need to include that number.

What blubber fat is doing, is basically saying that (NJT) isn't important to the economic, social, and educational status of NJ, which any sane person knows is beyond any logic or reason. He isn't trying to save money, he just dislikes transit.

- A

Republicans have always been anti-transit. They'd rather see people drive gas-guzzling SUV's that destroy the ozone layer.

They're certainly contributing to Greenhouse gases

Which contribute for fractions of only 0.039% of the total atmosphere. That's four-hundredths of a percent of an atmosphere with a mass of 5 × 10^18 kg.

It's a joke if you think your car is giving off enough emissions to hurt the environment. It really is.

Republicans have always been anti-transit. They'd rather see people drive gas-guzzling SUV's that destroy the ozone layer.
I find it funny you say that Republicans want Gas Guzzling SUV on the road to destroy the Ozone Layer. Meanwhile, Al Gore, Nancy Pelosi, and all the other fake environmentalists in this country fly around in private jets.

I have a suggestion for every one: Take off your railfan glasses and put on your reality glasses. The economy now is too awful to build something this expensive.

I couldn't agree more. We are in an economic downturn and you can't fix it by spending more money. Cuts have to be made and unfortunatly it has to affect this tunnel. All the government has been doiing is spending money and people are still out of jobs. By keeping up this spending we are repeating mistakes already made in the past.

I find it funny you say that Republicans want Gas Guzzling SUV on the road to destroy the Ozone Layer. Meanwhile, Al Gore, Nancy Pelosi, and all the other fake environmentalists in this country fly around in private jets.

True, They're saying one thing and doing the other. I've been hearing that alot of the figures have also been proven wrong. And what is the big deal if people want to drive SUV's. It's not the governments place to say how we travel.

The project would've provided 6,000 jobs. Furthermore, any money spent would've been offset by future economic benefits since this would've facilitated the commutes of thousands of Jersey residents.

Even if it would have given jobs I still don't think it would be the right thing to do in these tough times. It will still cost more money than we are able to spend. What needs to be done is the government to cut spending and taxes and let the economy fix it self. If businesses pay less taxes they will hire more thus creating more jobs. A problem that we've had in recent times is that we've cut taxes but kept spending more and more. One more thing to remember is that these jobs won't last forever and as soon as the project is done the people are out of work again.

I have a suggestion for every one: Take off your railfan glasses and put on your reality glasses. The economy now is too awful to build something this expensive.

Which was my point from the start, but one person obviously has whinebergitis.

Since you seem to be blind, I'll explain it in such a way that even someone with your very limited intelligence can understand;

Christe doesn't have the money to pay for the tunnel in full with over runs that are basicly required by the laws of the universe. They will happen.

what Christie is doing is a brilliant politcal move. he's trying to shift the tunnel off his budget and onto someone else, namily Washington. The man is playing the game the way it's supposed to be done. You get what the people want with next to nothing on your part. He's trying to get them to turn the tunnel in Pork.

You just can't see it becuase you're close minded "oh he's republican, he's the bad guy, he doesn't like trains..." You don't start a puzzle until you have all the pieces. the puzzle that is ARC never had all it's pieces, becuase Corzine never gave them to Christie. Corzine started the tunnel without a proper funding plan in place.

The facts are just lost to him. He'll just ignore your post because it doesn't suit his opinions...

I would've figured this childish nonsense of the one-two word 'responses' ended already, but if he wants to act like a child then he should be treated like one. If he wants to be a nazi about what I think [because it doesn't go along with what he thinks], then he's the one with problems. Because last I checked, this was a discussion forum.

You [in general] want to debate/'correct' me, then feel free to do so in a civil manner. One word responses of disagreements without anything to back it up will just make you look like an ass.

No, this wouldn't ruin anything, if this was as important as you're making it out to be, it would have been a more than just a 3"x3" blurb in the Daily News.

You all have a biasied opinion "Rail good, no rail bad". Grand Concourse and I seem to be the only ones with the logic to step outside of the hobby and think like a normal person who doesn't give a frack if the tunnel is built or not.

Crying, moaning, name calling and bitching won't get the tunnel built. MONEY gets the tunnel, and it's money New Jersey does NOT have.

Amen. I'm not saying I'm against or for this project at all. But when there's no money to support it, why should one state be left footing the bill? If the government really wants this tunnel so bad, they should pick up the tab. I mean what's the point of all that 'stimulus money' if it isn't being used for stuff like this? They can prop up GM and banks, but they can't for this tunnel where commuters could get a direct benefit from?

I get some folks here wants a new train tunnel, but can we all think as 'normal people' and NOT RAILFANS and think of the state's needs first?

It's like they want their state to go broke for a tunnel that increases capacity. If it is so needed, get the funds from elsewhere to help pay for the costs. That's all. Nothing about: 'Don't build it'.

I mean this kind of thinking is how there's the housing bust: people spending money they don't have for a house they can't afford. It's not sound fiscally.

That's the thing, in the grand scale of things, NJT isn't as important to the survival of the state as say, the subway is to the City.

Let NJT cease operations for a day or two and see to it that the government officials and workers at a city or state level are not screaming. Don't even want to mention how citizens will react.

Stranding thousands of people in an entire state, yeah, ok, lots of fun and laughs. NJT isn't as important to the state as the Subway is to the city in the grand scale of things, SMFH.

Lets see, a city with 27,000 people per sqaure mile,

vs.

a state where it seems to be a unwritten rule that everyone owns three cars.

Ok, lets put it this way (which I failed to mention in my previous post), is that a city-wide system is incompariable to a state-wide system.

I would not be here expressing my concerns about public transportation in New Jersey (and other places as well) if I had my own car. Could easily say screw New Jersey Transit and screw public transportation. But no, I do not have that "luxury". I'm out there everyday riding the bus, riding the PATH everyday, riding the HBLR almost everyday, riding NJT Rail almost everyday, and ride the NYC Subway almost everyday. Sure, having a car can possibly make things easier for me, but just a little bit. Riding public transit to me is always the way to go (transit buff or not). Not here trying to tell the story of my life, just using it as an example because I'm sure many others have similar stories and experiences.

There's thousands and thousands of people who do not own a car in this state, and those that at least own one use it to get what they need and maybe go away every now and then.

There maybe 27,000 people per square mile in NYC, but theres still a shit ton of cars out there (excluding taxis and probable out-of-towners), some folks owning up to 2 cars.

In the end, you cannot deny that New Jersey can possibly survive a day without the transportation system it has in place. Each transportation system is valuable to it's riders in different ways.

Lets see, a city with 27,000 people per sqaure mile,

vs.

a state where it seems to be a unwritten rule that everyone owns three cars.

You so lucky you haven't gotten shot by now!! NJ Transit is the states #1 mode of transportation with #2 the NJ Turnpike and #3 The Garden State. More people who live in Jersey use railroads to get to New York. Ever been to the NJ Transit corridor at Penn during evening rush? There's people back the hell up into the Amtrak corridor sometimes! Not to mention how worse it get after a major concert/baseball game, football game, ect. Don't SLEEP on NJ Transit because for what it has become today makes the NYC Subway look like a bunch of pipes in the mud. We have people in Northeastern Pennsylvania beginning for NJ Transit service. So please. You sicken me.

Archived