How has the orange (M) ridership since it reassigned to the 6th Ave/QB line?

Shortline Bus

Since it been almost 4 months since the doomsday cuts and wondering how is ridership on the orange (M) ridership since it reassigned to the 6th Ave/QB line in late June 2010?

I only been on it once since the changes (railfan it and rode it between Marcy Ave and 42nd/6th Ave on a late evening during the summer)so it would be nice to find if the combined (M)(V) lines has more riders than when they were separte routes?

As a rider who uses the (M) as an alternative to get home [ (B), (D), (F) & (M) is a few blocks walk from my place ], I've seen a ridership boost since August. It might not be as full as the (F), but in most cases, all the seats are filled and that tells you something. I have seen several rush hour trains with a good majority of standees on several (M) trains. A majority of riders get off at Essex either to Transfer for the (J) or just hang out outside of the stations at the local clubs and bars.

As for reroutes and such, I must say, the MTA did think this out pretty nicely. If something were to happen at Broadway Lafayette or something, they would send (M) trains to Chambers & to 2nd Avenue, requiring a itty bitty transfer to the (F), which is no big deal since normally, its two (F) trains then an (M). But it hasnt seen that kind of reroutes for some time, except when it got sent via 8th Avenue.

Nostalgia, I'm all for it, the (M) brought back what was the old (K) line pattern way back when. The only thing I didnt really like about the (M) is the headways and that it holds up the (F) and the (J), but not by much, 2-3 minutes wont kill anybody.

Overall, the (M) is awesome in my book :tup::cool:

As much as I liked the (V) to some extent, the (M) provides more flexibility. The (F) now carries the majority of passengers to 2nd Avenue, which is fine because (F) headways are pretty good actually.

As a rider who uses the (M) as an alternative to get home [ (B), (D), (F) & (M) is a few blocks walk from my place ], I've seen a ridership boost since August. It might not be as full as the (F), but in most cases, all the seats are filled and that tells you something. I have seen several rush hour trains with a good majority of standees on several (M) trains. A majority of riders get off at Essex either to Transfer for the (J) or just hang out outside of the stations at the local clubs and bars.

As for reroutes and such, I must say, the MTA did think this out pretty nicely. If something were to happen at Broadway Lafayette or something, they would send (M) trains to Chambers & to 2nd Avenue, requiring a itty bitty transfer to the (F), which is no big deal since normally, its two (F) trains then an (M). But it hasnt seen that kind of reroutes for some time, except when it got sent via 8th Avenue.

Nostalgia, I'm all for it, the (M) brought back what was the old (K) line pattern way back when. The only thing I didnt really like about the (M) is the headways and that it holds up the (F) and the (J), but not by much, 2-3 minutes wont kill anybody.

Overall, the (M) is awesome in my book :tup::cool:

The only change i think the (MTA) should consider is this. First IMO, restructure the (Z) and run it between Broadway Jct and Broad St and extend it rush hours southbound to either 95th St or Bay Parkway. While the (J) runs peak direction weekday express on the Bway/Brooklyn line between Marcy and Bway Jct.

Still Cait Sith some intresting thoughts. Gracias for the reply.:tup:

The only change i think the (MTA) should consider is this. First IMO, restructure the (Z) and run it between Broadway Jct and Broad St and extend it rush hours southbound to either 95th St or Bay Parkway. While the (J) runs peak direction weekday express on the Bway/Brooklyn line between Marcy and Bway Jct.

Still Cait Sith some intresting thoughts. Gracias for the reply.:tup:

You miss the point. MTA wouldn't save money if your plan was the norm. The M/V combo was a marriage of convience that has worked out for the best.

MTA has no money for service improvements. If the Z ran to the southern division, the R44's would have to be resurrected with a corresponding equipment swap amongst the lines. This would cost $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ they don't have.

MTA has money in the Capital Budget but service expansions should only be done when they will gain significant revenues coming in from adding them.

Lets say an area was missing from the MTA System but population growth was very significant and the user base would be very high thereby bringing in lots of revenue for the system. Then such should be added.

But just adding service expansions for convenience related reasons without a significant influx of revenue, and it just should not be done.

MTA should be putting investments back into infrastructure though and they appear to be doing this. Just would be nicer if they could one day actually put a lot more revenue and resources into making the system even better than it is without significant cost overruns.

The conversion of the (V) to the (M) was one of those things which actually made a lot of sense and I bet today they realize they are glad they did it.

Fortunately before we know it, the R179's will be online, the system will be run better with improvements and people will be able to get to where they need to go without hassle.

As we head to the next few years, the infrastructure and mass transit complaints will be non existant since it seems like all the good stuff is allocated for the next few years. Then as the economy rebounds, things will really start to get moving again.

Thought the R44 was to be phased out but Im not sure.

When the (M) was introduced, I thought it was bound to be a failure since there were little people using it, especially during the midday hours. Now, at least during the midday hours, the (M) is moderately utilized the last time I took it weeks ago. I have to see how good it performs during the rush hours... Headways should be increased a little bit for better service.

Guest lance25

If you mean the portion from Metropolitan Av to Myrtle Av-Broadway, it's because they're replacing the platform edge strips at all of the stations there.

Mmm...being at W4 St everyday waiting for the 1st (B) to The Bronx since I hate the (D) I've seen increase of people b\c months ago you still had stupid people waiting for the (V) and not understanding wtf was the Orange (M).But its kinda sad people still run for the (M) and wait but outside its stopping area but I suppose they expect the (F) and a (M) comes in.But the G.O's sucked in my opinion except it getting extended to Manhattan on weekends b\c that increased service on 6th Av.The 57th St G.O is dumb and so is the 42nd St-Bryant Pk.But this line is doing good.

My sentiments on the (M) line are so-so. To this day I'm still against the concept but it's just one of the changes we may have to adapt to for the time being. I'm still questioning why in the world did the designation have to be changed from (V) to (M) as the residents who wanted this Midtown service so badly would have still received their service even if the (V) was kept. Either way, it's all moot to me. I have no use for the line as I don't live anywhere near it and the equipment isn't even attention-grabbing to make me want to even fan the line. To this day I have yet to check it out and I have no plans to for the moment.

I'll leave it at that.

I make use of it before the Change and after till now a user of this line that's above my home and station is only a quarter of the block away.

(M) FTW!! And its good for that leaisure ride into midtown.

Why didn't they combine (J) with Northern portion of (D) and send (D) to Queens.

I think sending the (M) uptown would had been better possibly to 145th St and sending the (:P to 71 Av.And of course (M) to Bedford Pk that would had been cool but I would had got pissed at the same time b\c I love my shitcans on the (:P.

Also isn't there bus service from Middle Village to Midtown?

Guest lance25
Why didn't they combine (J) with Northern portion of (D) and send (D) to Queens.

Do you have any idea how long the (J) would be if it ran from Parsons Blvd to 205 St? I have a feeling it could give the (A) a run for its money in terms of length.

I think sending the (M) uptown would had been better possibly to 145th St and sending the (:P to 71 Av.And of course (M) to Bedford Pk that would had been cool but I would had got pissed at the same time b\c I love my shitcans on the (:P.

If the (M) went to Harlem or Bedford Park, what would go to Forest Hills, the (;)? I don't think so. Any line that runs on the Manhattan Bridge runs on the express track so if the (B) & (M) switched, trains would have to cross in front of each other to get to their respective destinations.

Of course there is bus service to Middle Village to Midtown as there is from Corona, Flushing and Jackson Heights just to name a few. The point of the (Mx)/(V) combo was not to give Bushwick and Ridgewood riders easy access to Midtown Manhattan (that was just a fringe benefit); it was to combine two lines that would otherwise dead end at Chambers St and 2 Av respectively. Also, trains carry more people than buses.

Problem with sending the (M) uptown and the (;) to Queens is that both lines would have to cross in front of each other at 34th Street. That will cause delays, unnecessary delays. The (B) comes in from Brooklyn on the express tracks and the (M) comes in from Brooklyn on the local tracks. The 6th Avenue express tracks leave for the Bronx and the local tracks leave 6th Avenue for Queens.

When the (M) was introduced, I thought it was bound to be a failure since there were little people using it, especially during the midday hours. Now, at least during the midday hours, the (M) is moderately utilized the last time I took it weeks ago. I have to see how good it performs during the rush hours... Headways should be increased a little bit for better service.

I rode the (M) on its first three days of operation. It didn't seem hugely busy then, but I'm guessing that was because it was a new service and because schools were out. It's been over four months since the (M) started running, so it may be worth riding it again to see if it is indeed more popular now than when it started running.

If the (M) went to Harlem or Bedford Park, what would go to Forest Hills, the (:P? I don't think so. Any line that runs on the Manhattan Bridge runs on the express track so if the (:P & (M) switched, trains would have to cross in front of each other to get to their respective destinations.

So,there are several switch points.One after W4th the (;) can pass the (M) on the express and switch over after 34th St or 47-50th St and the (M) will be behind so its not much chaos between the two trains.

Problem with sending the (M) uptown and the (B) to Queens is that both lines would have to cross in front of each other at 34th Street. That will cause delays, unnecessary delays. The (B) comes in from Brooklyn on the express tracks and the (M) comes in from Brooklyn on the local tracks. The 6th Avenue express tracks leave for the Bronx and the local tracks leave 6th Avenue for Queens.

I thought there were switches after W4th St also but maybe thats for the S/B.

Guest lance25
So,there are several switch points.One after W4th the (:P can pass the (M) on the express and switch over after 34th St or 47-50th St and the (M) will be behind so its not much chaos between the two trains.

But you'd still have trains crossing in front of each other, all at the Herald Square switches if they were to retain their current express/local status. The (M) would have to cross over to the express track to get to Central Park West while the (:P to the local track to get to 53rd Street.

Nah it's too much and it isn't worth it. The (MTA) should focus on creating a one seat ride via Bronx-Queens-Manhattan rather then the Queens-Manhattan-Brooklyn route. There is demand for a Bronx-Queens-Manhattan route. Especially since the people crowd up the buses around there. If you want express service in Queens then transfer. Besides the express <7> is all Queens would need right now nothing else.

Anyway the orange (M) is doing fine on Sixth Avenue as people have mentioned the orange (M) gives people on the Nassau Line a one seat ride to Midtown. They are happy with the service change and don't even try to change it back because they would fight head over heels to keep their service to Midtown. They work and shop there and they don't even have to transfer anymore to get the service they need. For the people that need to get to Brooklyn via the Nassau Line that is a problem. The (Mx) use to provide the service but now there isn't a line heading to Brooklyn anymore. They have to transfer to the (R) which is extremely slow. You can't extend the (J) or the (Z) because it would end the skip stop service which would cause people to overload the (E). The only way you can do this is create a new service for example: Brown (V) or create more (R) service by add more trains. That means bring in more R32's and R42's that aren't being used.

Archived