N still gets priority over the Q

Eastman346

It was to ensure that the Montague Street Tunnel won't become too overcrowded. Especially when the (Mx), and the (R) used the tunnel. Even today it is to ensure that tunnel isn't too overcrowded, and the (N) was sent back on the Bridge and made express in the day because A) Originally it was always like that until they shut the south side of the Bridge for repairs, and :( It connects the Asian Communites and if they didn't do it the people would complain just like when they made the (N) Broadway Local.

Guest lance25

The (N) was sent via the Bridge in 2004 because it swapped with the (W) which was terminating at Whitehall St. Remember, after the Manhattan Bridge project was finally finished, there was no need for the (W) via West End service, so the (W) became the Broadway Local and the (N) - Broadway Express.

Also, with only one line running through the Montague tunnels, it's hardly overcrowded. Even with the (Mx) running to Bay Pkwy during the rush hours, it wasn't at max capacity.

Meh, I still believe that if they were willing to put the (N) on the local track they should put it through the tunnel. Granted it crosses in front of whatever in Brooklyn but still. It just makes more sense to me. Otherwise it should have stayed on the express track.

O no way, Sea Beach/4 Ave riders would go Ape, its bad enough theres people complaining over the (N) going 4 Ave Local every weekend in December, yes its a G.O.

It was to ensure that the Montague Street Tunnel won't become too overcrowded. Especially when the (Mx), and the (R) used the tunnel. Even today it is to ensure that tunnel isn't too overcrowded, and the (N) was sent back on the Bridge and made express in the day because A) Originally it was always like that until they shut the south side of the Bridge for repairs, and :P It connects the Asian Communites and if they didn't do it the people would complain just like when they made the (N) Broadway Local.

Either way someone is gonna complain. The way the (R) runs in Manhattan I sincerely doubt the (N) going through the tunnel would make much of a difference. I just think if its gonna continue to go over the bridge, stick it back on the express.

O no way, Sea Beach/4 Ave riders would go Ape, its bad enough theres people complaining over the (N) going 4 Ave Local every weekend in December, yes its a G.O.

I don't see how the (N) couldn't just switch to the express track after Dekalb. Not asking it to go local down 4th. Just thinking either run it through the tunnel if they have it local in manhattan or put it back on the express.

I don't see how the (N) couldn't just switch to the express track after Dekalb. Not asking it to go local down 4th. Just thinking either run it through the tunnel if they have it local in manhattan or put it back on the express.

So your saying 4th Ave Exp, via Whitehall, Bway Lcl? That can happen Manhattan bound, theres a switch outside Pacific, but Coney Island bound it would have to go 4 Ave Lcl cause theres no switch from via Whitehall, to 4 Ave Exp...

Guest lance25

Actually there is...

detail-jaydklb.png

Just north of Pacific St, there is a crossover southbound from local to express and northbound from express to local.

These are all the reasons why the (W) shouldnt have gotten eliminated and (Q) stayed at 57 St, it evened out all the headways on Broadway and eased crowding, they shouldve at least kept the (W) as a Rush Hour line...

Well said Bro and agree 110% on your above statement. The (W) could have stayed IMO as a Rush Hour only train and have the (N) run as Bway express all day weekdays until around 9pm. Weekday evenings and all times weekends it runs as Bway Local.

Well said Bro and agree 110% on your above statement. The (W) could have stayed IMO as a Rush Hour only train and have the (N) run as Bway express all day weekdays until around 9pm. Weekday evenings and all times weekends it runs as Bway Local.

Thanks and yea I agree with you as well, but thats the (MTA) for you, M-aking T-ransportation A-(W)ful

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DMD64) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

Ummmm, okay...back on the original topic now....

It depends on the schedule...most of the time when one leves before the other, its because the one being held is early and the one leaving is on schedule. Dekalb Av & Atlantic-Pacific are timepoints for the (Q) & (N) respectively. If they get there at the same time, whoever is clostest to their schedule will leave first.

And can we please stop with the (W). Its dead already

Now that the N is local on broadway I noticed it still gets priority over the Q. Just like after Dekalb the Q's got to wait until the N's pass. :tdown:

That's one problem with the Line Manager program. Each signal tower is controlled by a Line Manager; within each tower's coverage area, the Line Manager's line always gets absolute priority over all other lines at all times and at all costs.

Let's just say this:

• The (N) is technically the express in Brooklyn until it hits Manhattan, and the other way around it's local until it leaves Manhattan. The (Q) being held just north of DeKalb Avenue then makes sense from a layman's point of view; since the (N) took the shortcut, it should keep those time savings rather than skip a station and stop in the middle of a tunnel.
  • The (N) will also never be allowed to become a full-time local. The communities living alongside Sea Beach will simply not allow it. They don't give a damn about 4 Avenue, lower Manhattan, or the Midtown stops. If anything will happen, it will become an express from Brooklyn to Queens or remain local in Manhattan (if the (W) doesn't return).
  • A 4 Avenue express via Whitehall Street also doesn't make any sense. It saves 3 to 5 minutes by skipping 6 stations along 4 Avenue and then wastes about 10 minutes by going through the tunnel. Meanwhile, it interferes with (D) service (whether it's also a local or not); this is why when the (N) runs via Whitehall Street it also runs as a local along 4 Avenue.

That's one problem with the Line Manager program. Each signal tower is controlled by a Line Manager; within each tower's coverage area, the Line Manager's line always gets absolute priority over all other lines at all times and at all costs.

Thats Murphy for ya :tdown:

[*]The (N) will also never be allowed to become a full-time local. The communities living alongside Sea Beach will simply not allow it. They don't give a damn about 4 Avenue, lower Manhattan, or the Midtown stops. If anything will happen, it will become an express from Brooklyn to Queens or remain local in Manhattan (if the (W) doesn't return).

[*]A 4 Avenue express via Whitehall Street also doesn't make any sense. It saves 3 to 5 minutes by skipping 6 stations along 4 Avenue and then wastes about 10 minutes by going through the tunnel. Meanwhile, it interferes with (D) service (whether it's also a local or not); this is why when the (N) runs via Whitehall Street it also runs as a local along 4 Avenue.

Exactly what I was saying about Sea Beach riders! We wouldnt like that, thats like making the (Q) go via Whitehall....

I really do hope the (W) comes back some day, til then, Broadway will never be the same.

What bugs me the most about this is when the (N) gets priority middays throughout the Broadway Line. At Canal, it's normally the (N) followed by the (Q), and the two are often across the platform from each other at Union Square. The (Q) then jets to 34th but then sits there until the (N) catches up and passes it. Bah! :mad:

What bugs me the most about this is when the (N) gets priority middays throughout the Broadway Line. At Canal, it's normally the (N) followed by the (Q), and the two are often across the platform from each other at Union Square. The (Q) then jets to 34th but then sits there until the (N) catches up and passes it. Bah! :mad:

Yes! Usually the (N) is often a little ahead of the (Q) at Union Square. So when I miss my (N) and try and grab the (Q) to pass it and get the (N) at Canal, the (Q) I'm on still gets held. That's the only thing that bothers me.

Archived