Savino calls for subway, rail links for Staten Island with floating $3B

SIR North Shore

There is a logic to extending the (G) to Staten Island, but only if there is a lack of capacity on the 4th Avenue Line (which there shouldn't be, if my calculations are correct).

If the SIR extension goes from St. George to the 59th Street (N)/® subway station, and the SIR and (R) run 10 TPH each, that should be 20 TPH on the local track, when the track should be able to handle 30 TPH. (You might even be able to fit the (Mx), if it were ever brought back).

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The (Mx) isn't going to be brought back, because the residents around the Jamaica Elevated are happy with the (M) going to Midtown which they formally had to transfer to get to, and they would fight for it. Besides the (Mx) would have had been too long to have been extended to Staten Island too.

Since the SIR is a railroad, any extension utilizing the SIR should be a railroad too, and the closest one would be the LIRR.

Also the whole idea of me even considering extending the (G) to Staten Island in the past is due to the car lengths. The SIR utilizes the same car length as the (G) does, and although they use different subway cars the platforms along the SIR won't have to be extended to fit the 8-10 car 60-75 footer trains that would come in with a regular subway service.

...That was the reason I used to propose extending the (G) to Staten Island, but not anymore. It's better to either leave the SIR as it is. Or if you want to go radical extend an existing railroad like the LIRR to Staten Island instead. The LIRR has the current Bay Ridge Branch so there is no need to construct any new infrastructure except the tunnel. Also a second benefit of the LIRR was discussed in a former thread. Since some Staten Islanders fear crime the high fares from the LIRR should prevent that from happening. Or that is what they think. Maybe if they have the money they can extend the current Bay Ridge Branch to an existing LIRR branch.

Not just that the line basically misses the entire West Shore communities along the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard, but there is a reason. If they build the Light Rail along there the line would have to be elevated to avoid the car traffic below, and Staten Islanders don't want that partially, because of NIMBYISM, and if they do put it on the street transit planners believe it won't be fast enough to replace bus service alongside the West Shore. So they instead put it on an area with basically nothing the West Shore Expressway to encourage development of the West Shore, and to encourage the idea of park, and ride. That would mean they would drive their cars, and park to take the ride on the Light Rail to Manhattan, and NJ.

Though I found the line useless when I found out that it avoided the mall altogether a Staten Island hotspot, but then I thought why not make the North Shore Line a light rail, and send it alongside the West Shore where it would branch off the West Shore from Silver Lake Park or Richmond Avenue, and run it down there to the Staten Island Mall, and on down to create a transfer to the SIR. I also thought that the HBLR would just need to run on to Annadale, and a transfer could be created there. Basically this line would serve all of Staten Island while preventing riff raff, because most New Yorkers don't want to go to Staten Island if they would have to ride the rails past NJ. The distance would be good for a traveller taking a day off, but the problem would be too great for a daily use of the line. Staten Islanders would also find it useful, because it would get them to Manhattan.

My most recent idea is to extend the LIRR to the current SIR ROW partially, because it's a railroad, and it already has an existing line that is really close to Staten Island. The line would be the current Bay Ridge Branch. The line comes up to the waterfront. Though a tunnel could be created, and the LIRR could run from 59th Street to St George, and connect to the SIR. There would be no need to convert it to a subway line, and the LIRR Bay Ridge Branch already has connections to the Atlantic Branch which is a passenger branch, and if it works out this would help Staten Islanders a lot more. Plus the high fare of $5.50 would scare most criminals away from Staten Island or that is what some of them thinks.

Here is proof:

88.barge.transfer.carfloat.big.jpg

Not just that the line basically misses the entire West Shore communities along the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard, but there is a reason. If they build the Light Rail along there the line would have to be elevated to avoid the car traffic below, and Staten Islanders don't want that partially, because of NIMBYISM, and if they do put it on the street transit planners believe it won't be fast enough to replace bus service alongside the West Shore. So they instead put it on an area with basically nothing the West Shore Expressway to encourage development of the West Shore, and to encourage the idea of park, and ride. That would mean they would drive their cars, and park to take the ride on the Light Rail to Manhattan, and NJ.

Though I found the line useless when I found out that it avoided the mall altogether a Staten Island hotspot, but then I thought why not make the North Shore Line a light rail, and send it alongside the West Shore where it would branch off the West Shore from Silver Lake Park or Richmond Avenue, and run it down there to the Staten Island Mall, and on down to create a transfer to the SIR. I also thought that the HBLR would just need to run on to Annadale, and a transfer could be created there. Basically this line would serve all of Staten Island while preventing riff raff, because most New Yorkers don't want to go to Staten Island if they would have to ride the rails past NJ. The distance would be good for a traveller taking a day off, but the problem would be too great for a daily use of the line. Staten Islanders would also find it useful, because it would get them to Manhattan.

My most recent idea is to extend the LIRR to the current SIR ROW partially, because it's a railroad, and it already has an existing line that is really close to Staten

That whole area is so calm and pristine... I can't imagine a light rail anywhere near that park nor the golf course... Just doesn't belong there. It would ruin the character of the neighborhood. Better to put the X16 back... X16, X16, X16!!! :cool:

Actually light rail cars are like trolleys. They benefit the neighborhoods they run through, are cheap to implement, and would be extremely quiet. It also won't run into the park it would run by the streets near the park. Plus you already have the West Shore Light Rail that would run by Fresh Kills Park. So it just might work.

Actually light rail cars are like trolleys. They benefit the neighborhoods they run through, are cheap to implement, and would be extremely quiet. It also won't run into the park it would run by the streets near the park. Plus you already have the West Shore Light Rail that would run by Fresh Kills Park. So it just might work.

Still don't like the idea... We like our tree lined streets here w/o light rails... I even have a nickname for the express bus... Expressy... Nothing like boarding expressy. :cool:

Then how about branching it off at Richmond Avenue. Besides I think that Staten Island needs better transit options. My final proposals doesn't even use the NYC Subway. This blizzard that happened recently proves my point of what happens if Staten Island has no other options to get off. During the blizzard the Ferries, Bridges, Highways, and the SIR all shut down. It created my scenario of what happens to Staten Island when nothing is working. So this is bound to happen.

Canarsie already have two housing projects.I use to live in Red Hook,so I know how life is in the housing projects

That's his opinion....the only think I agree with Roadcruiser1 post is where I think SI need to see some type of transit improvement over there.

And one thing they could start with is improving bus service... :cool: Relatively cheap and quick to implement in comparison to rail service.

Then you would literally ruin the air quality of Staten Island, and some areas in Staten Island already has poor air quality. What's the use of getting a piece of quiet when all you are literally breathing in is a massive amount of CO2. I find nothing comforting about that.

Then you would literally ruin the air quality of Staten Island, and some areas in Staten Island already has poor air quality. What's the use of getting a piece of quiet when all you are literally breathing in is a massive amount of CO2. I find nothing comforting about that.

I'll give credit to the MTA.... They are rolling out buses that are some of the most environmentally friendly buses in the entire country. Not every neighborhood in every borough is meant to have a subway or rail line...

Won't they just spill into the light rail, and use that instead. Or you could have it run parallel to the SIE for a while, and branch off there. From that point on it won't really affect anyone.

Another concern would be safety. The SIR can be quite desolate in some areas, and that would be the case with the light rail in stretches of Richmond Ave too..

Regarding traffic, it's your proposal so I'll let you explain how you'd deal w/the problem.

Since your recent concerns about traffic along Richmond Avenue I decided to relocate the light rail tracks to be temporarily parallel to the SIE. It would remove fears of traffic concerns. My map is down below. The SIR is connected to the LIRR Bay Ridge Branch, and becomes an LIRR line with connections to the Atlantic Branch which the freight only Bay Ridge Branch has, and can be converted to passenger service which the original line was used for. The HBLR runs across the Bayonne Bridge, and the North Shore Light Rail connects to it. It branches off the West Shore, and the HBLR would continue it's route down the West Shore. This would literally help Staten Island, and there is no need for any subway extensions.

You can say "Hey Mom look no subway services"

5305249008_fe3eb304d5_b.jpg

Wow.

You do realize that CO2 (and other gases) account for less than 1% of the ENTIRE atmosphere right? And Oxygen accounts for about 20% right? Even in Los Angeles you're not in danger of inhaling anything deadly.

Since your recent concerns about traffic along Richmond Avenue I decided to relocate the light rail tracks to be temporarily parallel to the SIE. It would remove fears of traffic concerns. My map is down below. The SIR is connected to the LIRR Bay Ridge Branch, and becomes an LIRR line with connections to the Atlantic Branch which the freight only Bay Ridge Branch has, and can be converted to passenger service which the original line was used for. The HBLR runs across the Bayonne Bridge, and the North Shore Light Rail connects to it. It branches off the West Shore, and the HBLR would continue it's route down the West Shore. This would literally help Staten Island, and there is no need for any subway extensions.

You can say "Hey Mom look no subway services"

5305249008_fe3eb304d5_b.jpg

Do you realize you have a branch cutting right through the LaTourette Golf Course with two stops in it???

It runs on a street that cuts through it. It won't go into the Golf Course. Though it would be hilarious if you are trying to golf, and a streetcar comes careening down the tracks :o. No seriously though if the golf course is there it would run underground for a while no trouble there. Also there are no stations at the golf course. One station would be before it goes under the golf course, and the other would be after it exits the tunnel under the golf course.

Archived