Savino calls for subway, rail links for Staten Island with floating $3B

SIR North Shore

Lets see, tweak the current bus network in SI or plan many unrealistic and unnecessary rail options to the island. The choice is easy here.....

All ideas by people on this board have to take in account the financial costs of how much such projects would cost. Any heavy rail project will be mostly underground and the cost will be in the billions while running buses is a fraction of the cost. We see you're enthusiastic about expanding on rail travel and is good but the only possible realistic extension is HBLR to SI and even then is not a real priority at this time.

LIRR to Staten Island? Keep dreaming. The cost of boring a tunnel for trains which won't even run frequently to Staten Island is grossly unnecessary and would go through years of drafts before a single drill is bored. You can forget about any move from Penn Station and while Flatbush Av would be the way to go, the distance alone would make this cost prohibitive.

Realistically, the plan out here is really to beef up bus service, since as you said it costs a fraction of what train service costs and is far easier to implement. :cool:

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like I've been saying, bus service is only good as a short-term plan. If you ever want to move large volumes of people at once, you're going to need a good rail system (or else, you'll spend more money on the extra buses than running a few trains).

At the very least, get the North Shore Rail Line up and running. We can see from the overcrowded routes that it is going to be utilized.

Like I've been saying, bus service is only good as a short-term plan. If you ever want to move large volumes of people at once, you're going to need a good rail system (or else, you'll spend more money on the extra buses than running a few trains).

At the very least, get the North Shore Rail Line up and running. We can see from the overcrowded routes that it is going to be utilized.

BUT, if you don't have the money for a rail system or can't implement it quick enough to meet demand then what? You still need to move people right? The next cheapest option is the bus and all transit companies across the country realize the need to revolutionize the function of the bus as something that can significantly aid the rail system.

But there is a limit to how much you can accomplish with bus service. You can add limited-stop service, BRT, bus lanes, etc to make the most use of the bus system, but if you are dealing with a large volume of people, at one point or another, you will have to use rail transit (and by that point, I mean when you have the resources for the rail system).

That is what I meant by buses being a short-term solution.

True, but there are resources NOW for bus service so this is what we are going to get. Expanding the rail network is a nice idea but you have to go through years of environmental studies and neighborhood groups before you can even drill a nail into the ground these days.

A possible North Shore line reactivation has a big advantage since a majority of the structure still exists. Now, this would have to go through the same process I mentioned above and would benefit the North Shore however as of now, the S40, 44, 46, 48, the limited counterparts and to a extent the Victory Blvd buses are seen as adequate.

I have been thinking and looking at google earth for the locations of subway stations in Brooklyn and was thinking about making line plans. The expansion will bring the (R) train into SI via a new tunnel by the narrows bridge. include a interchange. a (W) train will head along the current SIRR Tracks. The SIRR will be converted to mass transit by changing equipment. The interchange will be underground by making a portion of the SI underground between Grasmere - Clifton. A new station will be placed at Tompkins Ave. Now for that north shore line. The north shore will be built and will bring back the (V)

I think we made this clear Staten Island doesn't want a subway never has, and never will.

PS The (R) train is way too long, and too slow for a Staten Island expansion if it ever comes to fruitation

PSS No train would ever cross the Verrazano Robert Moses built the bridge to be too steep, and light preventing rail expansion.

I think we made this clear Staten Island doesn't want a subway never has, and never will.

PS The (R) train is way too long, and too slow for a Staten Island expansion if it ever comes to fruitation

PSS No train would ever cross the Verrazano Robert Moses built the bridge to be too steep, and light preventing rail expansion.

Did we? I know one person on the other thread about Staten Island subway expansion is vehemently opposed to it, but I don't think he speaks for all SI'ers. I think given how bad this blizzard hit us, Staten Island included, there needs to be another way to get on and off the island. Even if the city did a better job plowing the roads and the highways, that can't be the only way in and out during a blizzard. That's what makes a convincing case for a subway tunnel to Staten Island.

I know that. When the day calls for it a new Nassau Street service recreating a similar route to the <R>, but with a different letter shall be created, and would run from Broad Street or Chambers Street, and run on down to 59th Street where it would branch off, and run on to St George if it is to utilize the SIR which I highly doubt. The better solution would be to branch this new service off from Bay Ridge-95th Street, and have it run parallel to the SIE, and terminate at a West Shore Light Rail station.

Also a second idea would be to have the LIRR Bay Ridge Branch reactivated as a passenger line, connect it to an existing LIRR passenger branch, and have it extended to the SIR. The current SIR would be nonexistent, and would basically be replaced by the LIRR which is an extremly radical proposal.

Even more radical would be the Hudson Bergen Light Rail extension down the West Shore although it's a real proposal,and connect it to the SIR with a transfer. Though unlike the map above I propose that the North Shore would be converted into a light rail line, and would be connected to the West Shore Light Rail Line. It would branch off the West Shore Light Rail around Silver Lake Park, and run on to the Staten Island Mall, and would too connect to the SIR with a transfer.

A very simple question: Why does the West Shore LRT line - MISS the Staten Island Shopping Mall?

Once one looks at the map and sees that is completely misses the Staten Island Shopping Mall - just what use is this line?

Just wondering.

Mike

For foaming, I don't know.:confused:

Agreed, it should go through the SI Mall and the ETC.

I would have no problem seeing them all torn down and they can ship them wherever. Maybe you wouldn't mind them in Canarsie in your neck of the woods. And I'm not that ignorant (as you say) that I don't know that Canarsie still has some nice treelined streets with mainly house owners, which consist of hard working middle class blacks, despite the white flight that occurred. Imagine what projects would do over there... Doing away with the projects here on SI would lead to our property values here in West Brighton going up even more and we would have very few of those people walking up to Forest Avenue causing problems and robbing stores and banks and such.

Oh, and on a transit note, we'd have much more express bus riders for sure. :o

Canarsie already have two housing projects.I use to live in Red Hook,so I know how life is in the housing projects

I'm glad you see that I'm not a wack job... Just a dude looking at things from a reasonable perspective...

Now on the Canarsie comment, I'm sure BJC will have something to say about that. lol :cool:

That's his opinion....the only think I agree with Roadcruiser1 post is where I think SI need to see some type of transit improvement over there.

Every time someone so much as hints about SI expansions, we start all over again. Do we really need 15 different threads where we go on about the same stupid crap?

Hey, hey, give them some credit, at least they're not mentioning extending the (G) train to Staten Island!

Archived