What do you like to do with your computer?

RTS4Life

Aside from general use on the computer, I use mine for the editing of my HD subway videos (it's nice, 2 x 4 core xeons spit them out quickly), managing of my website, a little 3D modeling, and as a very expensive wireless router for my laptop.

As for gaming systems, a PS2 takes care of that well.

I do everything with my 3 computers, as far as video games, i got NES, SNES, genesis, sega cd saturn, nintendo 64, game gear, game boy advance, game boy color, a broken dreamcast, and a gamecube. My sister has a ps2 but i dun use it.

- Andy

I do everything with my 3 computers, as far as video games, i got NES, SNES, genesis, sega cd saturn, nintendo 64, game gear, game boy advance, game boy color, a broken dreamcast, and a gamecube. My sister has a ps2 but i dun use it.

- Andy

Sega CD?????!!!!:eek: I thought those were extinct!

On the computer, I surf the net, play BVE, chat and whatnot. Can't put any real PC games into this thing. Hopefully my next step forward in computer technology will help me.

Also own an Xbox 360, Xbox, PS2, and Gamecube. Next system will most likely be a Wii.

Anyone here repair or build them.

I can say I know my way around a few computers, but I've never really built one. I'm more of a software guy, but I know what I'm doing inside a computer (processor replacement, graphics card upgrade, RAM upgrade, hard drive upgrade, that kinda stuff).

When I go on the internet, I go on Myspace, Facebook, Straps (RD), NYCTF, TS and lurk on Subchat. Sometimes I go on wikipedia to check out the rolling stock articles and nycsubway.org too. This all doesn't take long.

Then there's email, homework (Hunter gives a lot of it), and occasional card games...

As do I, but in no way am I an authorized service provider.

I do professional level repairs for cost of the parts and any shipping needed to get parts. I specialize in portables, because they are nearly impossible for the budget user to repair themselves, let alone afford the hundreds of dollars most places charge on top for labor. Out of production portables can be as expensive as a car to keep up.

- Andy

I do professional level repairs for cost of the parts and any shipping needed to get parts. I specialize in portables, because they are nearly impossible for the budget user to repair themselves, let alone afford the hundreds of dollars most places charge on top for labor. Out of production portables can be as expensive as a car to keep up.

- Andy

Yeah, that's true, once you get to G3s, things can get expensive (I like to look at parts a lot). I've never really had to replace broken parts, but I did open up my 12" PowerBook to replace the hard drive, optical drive (that was stressful taking out the logic board), and make a dent less obvious. The hardest part I've found to get a hold of is a Mac Pro heat sink, seeing as they aren't really a part that breaks a lot they aren't found all over the place, but I found a store out in LA that sold me one.

Yeah, that's true, once you get to G3s, things can get expensive (I like to look at parts a lot). I've never really had to replace broken parts, but I did open up my 12" PowerBook to replace the hard drive, optical drive (that was stressful taking out the logic board), and make a dent less obvious. The hardest part I've found to get a hold of is a Mac Pro heat sink, seeing as they aren't really a part that breaks a lot they aren't found all over the place, but I found a store out in LA that sold me one.

Yea, those heatsinks can be tough to track down. My last repair (have not done one in a while) i had to find a bottom shell and a top case and a battery for a 667 mhz g4 tibook. I told the owner to get those hinges replaced with the steel ones you can find online, but he sold it to buy a macbook.

- Andy

Yea, those heatsinks can be tough to track down. My last repair (have not done one in a while) i had to find a bottom shell and a top case and a battery for a 667 mhz g4 tibook. I told the owner to get those hinges replaced with the steel ones you can find online, but he sold it to buy a macbook.

- Andy

Yeah, the TiBooks were great computers. I have to say I'm trying to hold on to my 12" PowerBook as long as I can (everything else looks so big compared to it, it's the perfect size), so it's at it's limits at the moment, though still surprisingly snappy after 2 years.

Yeah, the TiBooks were great computers. I have to say I'm trying to hold on to my 12" PowerBook as long as I can (everything else looks so big compared to it, it's the perfect size), so it's at it's limits at the moment, though still surprisingly snappy after 2 years.

Totally, i wish i had one. My iBook G4 is circa mid 2005, but it still kicks major ass with most stuff, my dual 1 ghz powermac g4 has a lot more muscle and all most 2x the memory and the best ADC video card you can buy. It is from 2002, and even today i have not found an app that can make it show its age. I would like to get a stock mac pro, but upgraded memory and a few other tweaks, and a macbook pro 15 inch non glossy with maxed memory and the mid end HD and top end gpu. Some folks like to just have good stuff to say they have it, but i actually tend to squeeze every ounce of performance out of my machines. I wish i had the $ for that kind of upgrade... before my current slump in upgrades i went through 18 computers, all macs including a 450 mhz cube.

- Andy

Archived