Starting Monday, F Train work will partially close stops in Brooklyn until May

Forest Glen

Much lower, given the number of half-empty (F) trains I see on Queens Blvd.

So Stay on your (E) train then, This is why I hate springfeild gardens, I don't care what nobody says the (E) train Sucks ass, as for the (F) it should return to 53rd st and it does get ridership, Im glad they are doing this project but its delayed due to snow until next week.

I'm a daily rider on the (F) from Brooklyn to Manhattan and this construction will fortunately affect me little since I get on at 7th Avenue. But what I'd like to know is how the (F) will skip Smith/9th, but not Carroll and Bergen streets. If the (F) is running on the express track past Church, it would assumedly stop at 7th Avenue and then Jay St, unless it switches to the local track. But the only switch from the express to local track is just outside of 4th Ave/9th Street. There would have to be another switch somewhere, if the train is going to go from 7th Ave, to the temp stop at 4th Ave, to Carroll St, right? Any idea how this is going to play out?

Other things worth noting: Not only is the temp platform at Smith/9th only built to G-train length, but the temp platform at 4th Avenue isn't full station length either. There is a bridge trestle over 4th Avenue itself blocking it. I also think it's a bit of a precarious crossover.

The F in Brooklyn is generally packed during rush hours, with most people getting on/off at 7th Avenue, 4th Avenue (to switch to the R), and Carroll St. It's bad during rush hours, and quite honestly, it can be jammed SRO at best as late as 10 or 11pm heading to Brooklyn.

4th Avenue and Smith/9th are pretty decrepit. 7th Avenue could use a good once-over as well, and maybe even an escalator or elevator at the 8th Avenue end. Perhaps I'm being lazy, but those are a lot of steps to walk up. It's also configured completely ass-backwards, with entrances at 7th Avenue and 8th Avenue, iron maidens on both ends, and the clerk positioned directly in the middle of the mezzanine, where nobody ever goes.

Guest lance25
I'm a daily rider on the (F) from Brooklyn to Manhattan and this construction will fortunately affect me little since I get on at 7th Avenue. But what I'd like to know is how the (F) will skip Smith/9th, but not Carroll and Bergen streets. If the (F) is running on the express track past Church, it would assumedly stop at 7th Avenue and then Jay St, unless it switches to the local track. But the only switch from the express to local track is just outside of 4th Ave/9th Street. There would have to be another switch somewhere, if the train is going to go from 7th Ave, to the temp stop at 4th Ave, to Carroll St, right? Any idea how this is going to play out?

A temporary switch was created for northbound trains to go from the express track to the local north of Smith-9 Sts.

A little off topic but related. Will the (MTA) either increase service on the B61 and also create a shuttle bus between Smith-9th and either 4th Ave or Caroll? I don't think the (G) can handle the loads by itself.

As of now, no. There will be no increase of existing bus service, a shuttle bus service, or a shuttle train which was the plan when the work started. The MTA claims that they don't have the man power for any extra service.

There will be a hardrail connection between Smith-9 St and Carroll St, although this connection will be done next week instead. Basically, a section of the express track will be cut north of Smith-9 St and will be connected to the local track and bumper blocks should be installed on the stub ends.

Other things worth noting: Not only is the temp platform at Smith/9th only built to G-train length, but the temp platform at 4th Avenue isn't full station length either. There is a bridge trestle over 4th Avenue itself blocking it. I also think it's a bit of a precarious crossover.

Actually, the temporary 4 Av platform will be full length for F trains. The regular platforms are about 650 feet long while the temporary one certainly is not because of the trestle.

There will be a hardrail connection between Smith-9 St and Carroll St, although this connection will be done next week instead. Basically, a section of the express track will be cut north of Smith-9 St and will be connected to the local track and bumper blocks should be installed on the stub ends.

It'll be interesting to see how they do this. As of this morning, I haven't seen any kind of provision for a crossover whatsoever.

So Stay on your (E) train then, This is why I hate springfeild gardens, I don't care what nobody says the (E) train Sucks ass, as for the (F) it should return to 53rd st and it does get ridership, Im glad they are doing this project but its delayed due to snow until next week.

Not to sidetrack this thread, but why do you want both Queens Boulevard expresses to run via 53rd Street?

It's unnecessary. Point blank.

The mods already gave me a warning about my behavior so I'm not going to respond.

It says in this article the northbound track will be out of service for 10 months.http://www.mta.info/news/stories/?story=177However is that a mistake?I thought the northbound track was only till May

There is no way it would be done by May, this project is already months behind. There is alot of concrete work to be done which is a pain to do in the winter. They have stopped working on the S/B express track because it's been to cold to do pours so this will take a while.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived