Artics Being Tested On Staten Island

SIR North Shore

Someone did say they saw a new Flyer on the BQE this morning in Brooklyn...possibly on its way to Staten Island. Have patience! But chances are, you may see it on the S79 as well, so it's a hit or miss!

Artics have a tighter turning radius than the 60' buses...but yeah it would make more sense to run them on the S79 though. But if artics do become a regular, I just hope they keep the ratio the same...two artics is equal to three buses. people get the misconception that just because artics hold more people then the route is a highly-used line. For what it's worth, more artics = less service!

But if artics and 40' buses are used in tandem on the S79 then that would be better that making the route completely artic.

None of this has been confirmed yet, obviously but wouldn't it be better is they sent Nova artics to SI? I havent been to staten island in years so you guys are more knowledgable than and I'm sure some streets have been repaved, but with the streets and the at times hilly terrain. I can see an old nf articulated breaking down or struggling the first few hours or days there. Then again, its just a test.

Something tells me they'll send Staten Island New Flyers. New Nova Artics are rumored to be heading to MTA Bus, such as JFK or Baisley Park. I just hope they don't send anything older than the 1999 models, as those are just about due for retirement. If anything, they'd be better off sending the 2002 models instead.

Artics have a tighter turning radius than the 60' buses...but yeah it would make more sense to run them on the S79 though. But if artics do become a regular, I just hope they keep the ratio the same...two artics is equal to three buses. people get the misconception that just because artics hold more people then the route is a highly-used line. For what it's worth, more artics = less service!

But if artics and 40' buses are used in tandem on the S79 then that would be better that making the route completely artic.

Artics are 60' :P

According to the (MTA) one artic is equal to three buses, which is how they got in trouble with M23 riders when the New Flyers first came in (IIRC they cut the schedule in half during rush hour once the RTS's left the route). But I'm curious as to if this is SBS related (assuming this rumor is true of course).

Something tells me they'll send Staten Island New Flyers. New Nova Artics are rumored to be heading to MTA Bus, such as JFK or Baisley Park. I just hope they don't send anything older than the 1999 models, as those are just about due for retirement. If anything, they'd be better off sending the 2002 models instead.

I thought they were sending their oldest New Flyers to Baisley?

None of this has been confirmed yet, obviously but wouldn't it be better is they sent Nova artics to SI? I havent been to staten island in years so you guys are more knowledgable than and I'm sure some streets have been repaved, but with the streets and the at times hilly terrain. I can see an old nf articulated breaking down or struggling the first few hours or days there. Then again, its just a test.

That depends on the route. The S79 I don't see the buses running into major issues.

Queens needs artics (NYCT or MTAB) before Staten Island does. As for the S79, will the bridge cause trouble?

Hopefully not, as the S53 and S79 take the lower level. What doesnt make sense is that why they didnt send any of the ex-SBS New Flyers to Staten Island, by sending the 52-5400 series, thats already a terrible move.

Some routes can get pretty crowded. The S53 and S79 can get crowded as the only routes serving Brooklyn, and the S46 and S48 can get pretty crowded on the North Shore.

Still, I agree that it would be cheaper to just add some regular buses. You save money by having uniformity in the depots (you don't have to train B/Os and mechanics how to operate/maintain a different type of bus)

This is good from a foamer perspective, but no SI route even comes close to the ridership that would justify artics.

Have you ever been on the S79 during rush hour? Because I have and I know damn well that the S79 gets really packed from the front to the back....

Still, I agree that it would be cheaper to just add some regular buses. You save money by having uniformity in the depots (you don't have to train B/Os and mechanics how to operate/maintain a different type of bus)

Wouldnt that actually cost more to send more buses out there? By doing that, the depot itself may be short on 40fters. 60ft buses axes off 1 40ft bus from the line

Looks like I have a good reason to go out on the island now other than casual fanning and going to the mall, gonna land some sweet MCI shots and hopefully, will find these artics.....

Queens needs artics (NYCT or MTAB) before Staten Island does. As for the S79, will the bridge cause trouble?

Yea, I'm really curious as to why SI is getting artics before Queens. Baisley getting New Flyers has been talked about for a minute, this is the first time I heard of SI getting any artics. As for the bridge, it shouldn't be a problem but I'm not 100% sure about that (though the use of the lower level does help).

Hopefully not, as the S53 and S79 take the lower level. What doesnt make sense is that why they didnt send any of the ex-SBS New Flyers to Staten Island, by sending the 52-5400 series, thats already a terrible move.

Which artic did they send there? And whats up with the 5200/5400s (aside from age)?

Some routes can get pretty crowded. The S53 and S79 can get crowded as the only routes serving Brooklyn, and the S46 and S48 can get pretty crowded on the North Shore.

Well the S79 is suppose to become a SBS route, so that woul'd explain it (though it isn't like they can't use another bus for it)

Which artic did they send there? And whats up with the 5200/5400s (aside from age)?

From what it sounds like, Kingsbridge artics. Gun Hill is very close knit with the artics they have, I have only seen ONE out of the borough testing in Queens, that was 5336 driving around the Q18 and several other LGA routes while riding with KR. I highly doubt they'd send artics that are sitting in EAS to run out there. KB has an overage with artics so to some extent, it would make sense. All the Manhattan depots are also close knitted with the artics they got, Quill is short, 126 gained a few to add them on the M116 and M31, and 100th Street has a small shortage.

Nothing is really up with them 52-5400s, KB's maintenance on the outside has been getting better, on the inside, however.....you'd think there was a war on them buses....what they could've done is send out some of KB's better 56-5700s, they have great takeoff and acceleration

Thats a fact my man, not a rumor! JFK and BP are next in line for artics. I am being told GA is actually next for the B44 SBS. And no, SI is not slated to get New Flyers.

Its just like when we tested the artics out of BP, and LGA to a lesser extent. This is only a test to see how they operate on the line. SI is not slated to get artics till 2012.

This is good from a foamer perspective, but no SI route even comes close to the ridership that would justify artics.

The S79 does, and will have them for SBS service which is planed for next year.

Its just like when we tested the artics out of BP, and LGA to a lesser extent. This is only a test to see how they operate on the line. SI is not slated to get artics till 2012.

I figured that, this is exactly like when they sent out 3-4 Orion VII OG Hybrids to the island at one point. The difference between how streets beat up buses in Queens & Staten Island is extraordinary and that plays one hell of a role in these tests. The only differences is that Baisley had 5 good 5300 series buses out of Gun Hill, I guess we'll find out soon what buses were sent to the island.

Thats a fact my man, not a rumor! JFK and BP are next in line for artics. I am being told GA is actually next for the B44 SBS. And no, SI is not slated to get New Flyers.

The S79 does, and will have them for SBS service which is planed for next year.

Not everyone likes the idea, especially on the South Shore. Those longer bus stops will mean less parking and potential less business for store owners along Hylan Blvd. Unfortunately the car mentality still prevails over public transportation on Staten Island.

Since when did they get so much room that they can put in artics now on Staten Island? From my understanding, the space at Charleston was accounted for before it even opened, basically helping to alleviate overcrowding at Yukon and Castleton and Meredith is just storing express buses. On the other hand, if SBS were to come to Hylan Blvd, I would think most of it would be repaved. There are plans to do repaving anyway on Hylan in the near future since residents have been up in arms about the potholes and such along the Blvd.

Not everyone likes the idea, especially on the South Shore. Those longer bus stops will mean less parking and potential less business for store owners along Hylan Blvd. Unfortunately the car mentality still prevails over public transportation on Staten Island.

Not everybody liked the idea of Bx12, M15 or B44 SBS either, but it's happening. The S79 SBS is coming, and you can pretty much bet on that.

Since when did they get so much room that they can put in artics now on Staten Island? From my understanding, the space at Charleston was accounted for before it even opened, basically helping to alleviate overcrowding at Yukon and Castleton and Meredith is just storing express buses. On the other hand, if SBS were to come to Hylan Blvd, I would think most of it would be repaved. There are plans to do repaving anyway on Hylan in the near future since residents have been up in arms about the potholes and such along the Blvd.

Charleston is set to run the SBS service, and the depot was built to handle artics. All the rest of the logistics will need to be worked out.

It doesn't matter, the B44 and the M15 were heavily criticized. I'm neutral on +SBS for the S79 as I think a bi-directional limited would do the job, but oh well...+SBS will get implemented in S.I. whether people like it or not!

Not everybody liked the idea of Bx12, M15 or B44 SBS either, but it's happening. The S79 SBS is coming, and you can pretty much bet on that.

Charleston is set to run the SBS service, and the depot was built to handle artics. All the rest of the logistics will need to be worked out.

I'm for the S79 SBS too... SI is long overdue for quicker bus options, including local ones, but I also don't underestimate the political clout of the South Shore. They may very well lose, but they will fight tooth and nail for sure.

Regarding Charleston, this should be interesting since Yukon currently does the S79 runs...

Archived