18 minute rule and unlimited Metrocards

Via Garibaldi 8

Can the B/O tell what type of Metrocard you have when you dip it? (I.e. Unlimited Express Bus Plus Card vs a regular Unlimited Card). I know certain codes come up. Just wondering how detailed it gets.

There are 2 ways to tell:

-On RTS (and maybe other buses), there is a little panel on the wall behind the driver, facing the passenger compartment, with an array of lights. Different lights light up for PPR, Unlimited, Student, Employee, Transfer, Reduced fare. Meant for supervisors to see if drivers are letting passengers on with the wrong card.

-I think that the beep is different for certain customers.

Since the Express card is another form of an unlimited, it will say the day the card expires. The same goes for all other unlimited cards.

So what would the display say if my MetroCard expired on, say, March 31st, 2011? Would it say "Unlimited OK" and then say "Expires 3/31/11"?

-On RTS (and maybe other buses), there is a little panel on the wall behind the driver, facing the passenger compartment, with an array of lights. Different lights light up for PPR, Unlimited, Student, Employee, Transfer, Reduced fare. Meant for supervisors to see if drivers are letting passengers on with the wrong card.

Aren't bus drivers technically not supposed to confront people with the wrong MetroCard? I saw a new driver was being instructed by a supervisor and he didn't say anything when people just walked on.

I've heard slightly different beeps when people dip in their MetroCard, but there are times when they use the same MetroCard and it'll still beep differently. (Maybe if the MetroCard is a little bent, it'll beep in a different tone)

The previous things mentioned I already knew just from general observations. Many years ago my uncle took me to work w/him. He was working out of then 100 St. Depot before the rehab. During one of his breaks uptown, he let me sit in the B/O chair and showed me a few things, but of course it happened so long ago that I can't remember jack squat. I should ask him but now that he lives in NJ so I rarely see him... But what I was curious to know is if a B/O can distinguish an unlimited Express Bus Plus card vs a regular Unlimited card when you dip and other cards for that matter? Of course on the express bus they'd know for sure since you can only use the Unlimited Express Bus Plus card, but what about on the local?

P.S. I've noticed the different beeping sounds for different Metrocards also, particularly when someone gets on w/a Pass (i.e. MTA employee). Oh yeah, this is something I also believe my uncle told me... He said that the employee Metrocards can't be used on express buses. This must be true because I've seen several MTA employees get on express buses I've been on and the B/O just lets them on. If you ask me they might as well just give them a pass to use whatever they need to use. When I was working with the MTA, I got an unlimited Metrocard, but it only worked Monday - Friday during certain hours, so I couldn't use it all the time, but I could use it on the subway and the local bus and since they gave us Fridays off I'd use it to hang out in the city w/friends. Never tried it on the express bus since I was living back in Brooklyn at the time commuting to the 370 Jay St. location. :cool:

I only know that reduced fare MetroCards and transfers produce that lower pitched beep from the farebox, but I think unlimiteds and the Pay-Per-Rides make the same noise. The boop is only for read errors (and every LIB operator that saw that on the box just let me on) or for empty cards, and it annoys the crap out of me. No, your MetroCard won't gain an extra ride if you dip it in 230 times in a row.

I only know that reduced fare MetroCards and transfers produce that lower pitched beep from the farebox, but I think unlimiteds and the Pay-Per-Rides make the same noise. I think tat if someone tries to use an unlimited express MetroCard on a local bus, the bus operator would examine the card and tell the passenger the card won't work. The lowest pitch beep is for read errors (for which every bus operator I've had that problem with has just waved me on) or empty cards...

Unless we're talking about some other Metrocard, the Unlimited Express Bus Plus Card works on the express bus and the local bus as well as the subway.

Most operators including myself just listen for the beep sound. Beep is good, boop is bad. We can't tell what kind of card it is or do we care. The only time I look at the box is if I hear boop, or to issue a transfer.

Now, what's the deal if you get someone w/a bad Metrocard and they show you their receipt? I've seen folks try to show their receipts when their card didn't work and things got quite confrontational. In other words, the B/O expected the passenger to pay in spite of the receipt and the passenger became angry and refused to pay.

I'm also curious as to why is the MTA so adamant about folks sending in their bad Metrocard to them right away? Depending on the time (i.e. weekend) getting a replacement card on the spot may not be possible for a number of reasons, so I think the MTA should make some exceptions. This is certainly true for Staten Island... Thoughts?

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/4.6.1.259 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

What you're referring to is the beakie box. There's 6 panels that are...

-Student (blue, STUD'T on the beakie)

whenever you dip a student metrocard, this will light up. For full fare ones, you'll hear the same sound as a regular metrocard. For half fare cards and when the half fare is paid (student) you hear the same sound as the senior citizen one

-Pass (yellow)

this is for (MTA) employees when they dip their cards in (if the actually do). If not, they show their metrocard to the driver and he/she pushes a button. Makes the dame low piotched sound as the senior citizen one

-Special (green, SPCL on the beakie)

whenever you dip a reduced fare metrocard, or pay half fare (senior citizens only), this will light up. Makes the lower pitched sound

-Adult (red)

whenever you pay full fare in coins, dip a PPR or any kind of unlimited metrocard in the farebox, this will light up. This is the most common sound you'll hear when people pay on the bus

-Transfer (orange, XFER on the beakie)

this lights up whenever someone dips a bus transfer in the farebox. Makes the same sound as adult

-Bypass (purple or light blue, depending on how old it is, BYPS on the beakie)

I'm not completely sure about this one, but usually is durong a farebox malfunction

Singlerides will not show up on the beakie but will make the same sound as pass, & special

Nope, the PPR and UR Metrocards make the same high-pitched beep

No they dont, if you listen close enough you can tell there is a differenc in pitch. I know because I write and edit music and can tell very subtle difference in pitch. I can sit in the back of the bus and tell you who used an unlimited and who used pay per ride and get it right every time. You just have to pay attention to the details.

-Bypass (purple or light blue, depending on how old it is, BYPS on the beakie) I'm not completely sure about this one, but usually is durong a farebox malfunction
By pass is when there is a malfuction with the coin counting area of the IFU it pretty much just drops the coins in the Fare box with out counting

So theoretically, if an express bus driver typed in the wrong code, and got a local bus destination sign, riders would pay $2.25.

BTW, what is the story with "Out of Service" buses. I've seen express buses signed up as "Out of Service", but they still took off $5.50 from the MetroCard.

Before entering the destination code you enter fare class code. local is 1 and express is 2. If you enter an express bus with a regular unlimited it would come up as invalid class on the IFU due to the fact the IFU is set to fare class 2. I have done that by accident on a local and i kept getting invalid class and figured that i entered the wrong fare class. As far as having NOT IN SERVICE entered in fare box, yes it does not accept transfers and will charge a metrocard $2.25 or the remainder of it's balance if it don't have a full fare. I don't know why it does it, maybe BS programing for cubic.

Check this out http://cts.cubic.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=1YG/pIyGcYA%3D&tabid=361

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/4.6.1.259 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

What you're referring to is the beakie box. There's 6 panels that are...

-Student (blue, STUD'T on the beakie)

whenever you dip a student metrocard, this will light up. For full fare ones, you'll hear the same sound as a regular metrocard. For half fare cards and when the half fare is paid (student) you hear the same sound as the senior citizen one

-Pass (yellow)

this is for (MTA) employees when they dip their cards in (if the actually do). If not, they show their metrocard to the driver and he/she pushes a button. Makes the dame low piotched sound as the senior citizen one

-Special (green, SPCL on the beakie)

whenever you dip a reduced fare metrocard, or pay half fare (senior citizens only), this will light up. Makes the lower pitched sound

-Adult (red)

whenever you pay full fare in coins, dip a PPR or any kind of unlimited metrocard in the farebox, this will light up. This is the most common sound you'll hear when people pay on the bus

-Transfer (orange, XFER on the beakie)

this lights up whenever someone dips a bus transfer in the farebox. Makes the same sound as adult

-Bypass (purple or light blue, depending on how old it is, BYPS on the beakie)

I'm not completely sure about this one, but usually is durong a farebox malfunction

Singlerides will not show up on the beakie but will make the same sound as pass, & special

Does the single ride light up as transfer? I've noticed on LIB, the only high pitched sound is the full fare metrocard. Everything else makes a low pitched sound. Except the metrocards that are invalid or empty

Does the single ride light up as transfer? I've noticed on LIB, the only high pitched sound is the full fare metrocard. Everything else makes a low pitched sound. Except the metrocards that are invalid or empty

They don't light up on the beakie, but on the farebox it says SINGLERIDE OK. I'm not sure about LIB

Long time when I went to Stamford Nature Museum in Stamford, CT, and after we took I-Bus back to White Plains, she wanted to take MNRR, so I decided to show her scenic train ride on MNRR Hudson Line.

My friend had Pay-Per-Ride and we got on 3:30pm W14 at TransCenter I think and by the time when we got on MNRR's Hudson Line SemiExpress, nice conductor said, direct express coming, so we rush. When Hudson Line arrived at Harlem-125th St, it was 2-hour passed and she got free transfer when she got on M101SB.

I was being specific on LIB's fareboxes. The only high-pitched sound is for full-fare metrocards. Transfers, a customer paying with coin and a reduced-fare metrocard makes low-pitched sounds. The boops are for invalid and empty metrocards.

When the subway/bus metrocard transfers FIRST started, the 18 minute lockout also exsisted between bus and subway rides.

For employees, the lockout is 6 minutes.

Also, the 18 minute lockout is good for all entrances in an entire subway station complex, such as 42st POrt authority/TImes sq or Fulton st complex.

Archived