Man run over by subway train survives at same station where MTA worker was pushed onto tracks

Broadway Local

alg_track_search.jpg

Straphangers were stunned yesterday when a man was run over by a subway train and lived to tell about it.

Witnesses saw the unidentified man on the platform at the East Broadway station just after noon. He appeared dizzy and lost his footing, falling to the tracks.

A Brooklyn-bound (F) train roared through the lower East Side station, pinning him until emergency workers freed him.

"He looked messed up, but he was talking," said Karim Carter, 34.

"I can't move," the injured man mumbled, according to Carter. The man, believed to be in his 40s, was taken to Bellevue Hospital in serious condition. He wasn't carrying identification, police said.

"He was disoriented. He looked like he just got dizzy and fell on the tracks ... facing down," Carter said.

Stephanie Johnson said she waved her arms in a frantic and ultimately fruitless bid to signal the motorman as the train rumbled into the station.

"I heard the crunch of the train going over the body," she said. "I was hysterical."

Josephine Gonzalez Pryor, 62, said the man's left arm and leg looked mangled, but he was somehow still alert.

"He was real lucky," Pryor said. "He just looked in shock and scared."

The accident happened at the same station where a crazed man knocked off-duty MTA worker Sabrina Scott, 39, onto the tracks on Feb. 4. A good Samaritan pulled Scott from the tracks before the train hit her. No one has been arrested.

All in this URL: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011/02/25/2011-02-25_subway_hits_straphanger_at_station_where_woman_pushed_to_tracks_run_over_by_trai.html#ixzz1EzBW5xh5

lol :tup:

I mean seriously, who does that? Why stay close to the edge? Do people think that watching the tunnel until you see a light will make the train come faster? And why stay close to the edge if you are sick? have a seat or stay in the middle of the platform or close the the wall if there is one..

Common sense isnt so common after all.

I mean seriously, who does that? Why stay close to the edge? Do people think that watching the tunnel until you see a light will make the train come faster? And why stay close to the edge if you are sick? have a seat or stay in the middle of the platform or close the the wall if there is one..

Common sense isnt so common after all.

On my way to the office this morning from the express bus, I'm walking down 5th ave towards 43rd street. I get to the corner and see a huge crater/pothole filled with filthy water. I step back knowing that some car or truck will come flying down the street to turn onto 5th as I wait for the light to change. This chick sees me move back then realizes why and instead of moving back, she stares at the pothole and waits for a car to come flying down the street which almost soaked her completely. Only then does she move back... B)

I don't get people. I see people running madly across the street to make a stupid light and almost get hit by cars. I mean really. People don't want to give up one inch or wait one minute for anything and they rarely pay attention to what they're actually doing. They look everywhere and do everything BUT look infront of them. I'm surprised there aren't more accidents.

Im going to make sure, the next time I feel dizzy, nautious, sick, or just not myself, to stand close to the edge of the platform since it seems the norm these days.

The same thing happened to me one time, but instead of ending up on the roadbed, I left the station and called a cab. I wasn't drunk, but i just didn't feel right and i wasn't going to take the chance.

Something had to be wrong with that guy.Isn't it against the law not to carry ID?

Also but I would hate to say this but he's a moron for standing that close especially if you're dizzy.

You will be amaze on how many people out there who doesn't carry any ID.

The MTA doesnt "want" to install platform doors. It's just one of the many options on the table.

There just saying that so the public thinks they are going to do something about this "problem". I would cost too much and take to long to be worth.

There just saying that so the public thinks they are going to do something about this "problem". I would cost too much and take to long to be worth.

I agree with you 100% . Maybe some of these screen door proponents think they should also be installed on NYC sidewalks, too. Look how many jaywalkers have been killed over the years.

Archived