The 2011 Major & Minor League, College Baseball & Baseball Card Thread

EE Broadway Local

I don't need to be reminded of it. I remember reading an article about it from the Daily News a few weeks ago. Why else would I have even mentioned it? So please, stop 'addressing us', just post the article.

Seeing the Tigers down 0-2 = win. I still don't care who wins, but of the 4 teams, I'd 'root' for the Brewers by default and since I don't really hate them as a team.

Cards shouldn't even be there, Tigers [obvious reasons], Rangers [for last year]

As for 'Detroit should win for the city' - I don't buy it. Back in 2001 months after 9/11, by that logic, the Yankees should've won, but didn't. So call me a heartless jerk, but I could care less about 'win it for the city'. That's why I wanted the Colts to beat the Saints mainly for Peyton and didn't care about the Saints' backstory.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't need to be reminded of it. I remember reading an article about it from the Daily News a few weeks ago. Why else would I have even mentioned it?

IMO while i am not a fan of Buck either(let face it if father name was not legendary St Louis cardinals tv/radio announcer Jack Buck) he would not be the #1 announcer at Fox as soon as they got NFL and MLB coverage in 1995 as a then 25-year old 'kid'. IMO his best play-play is no doubt in baseball. It in football where he not that good. If anything Kenny Albert should be the lead play-play man for NFL games on Fox with Buck as the studio host for pre/post game shows replacing Curt Medfree.

I don't need to be reminded of it. I remember reading an article about it from the Daily News a few weeks ago. Why else would I have even mentioned it?

IMO while i am not a fan of Buck either(let face it if father name was not legendary St Louis cardinals tv/radio announcer Jack Buck) he would not be the #1 announcer at Fox as soon as they got NFL and MLB coverage in 1995 as a then 25-year old 'kid'. IMO his best play-play is no doubt in baseball. It in football where he not that good. If anything Kenny Albert should be the lead play-play man for NFL games on Fox with Buck as the studio host for pre/post game shows replacing Curt Medfree.

While the Tigers were beating Texas to cut their ALCS lead to 2 games to one last night, the big news last night was not even about that semifinal post season game.

Theo Epstein is on 'verge' of becoming the new Cubs GM/Team President according to various sources i.e Fox Sports, ESPN, USA Today and Associated Press. The last remaining roadblock to this 'trade' between the Red Sox and Cubs is what will Boston get in return? With that said a tenative deal according to sources is nearly in place in which Epstein would be the Cubs new President/GM and even up to 5% ownership stake from current Cubs Owners the Ricketts family.

So looks like Red Sox nation might be beginning a new era and ending the Epstein/Francona era in which they won 2 world series in 2004 and '07. We shall see.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/dailypitch/post/2011/10/theo-epstein-cubs-general-manager-red-sox/1

While the Tigers were beating Texas to cut their ALCS lead to 2 games to one last night, the big news last night was not even about that semifinal post season game.

Theo Epstein is on 'verge' of becoming the new Cubs GM/Team President according to various sources i.e Fox Sports, ESPN, USA Today and Associated Press. The last remaining roadblock to this 'trade' between the Red Sox and Cubs is what will Boston get in return? With that said a tenative deal according to sources is nearly in place in which Epstein would be the Cubs new President/GM and even up to 5% ownership stake from current Cubs Owners the Ricketts family.

So looks like Red Sox nation might be beginning a new era and ending the Epstein/Francona era in which they won 2 world series in 2004 and '07. We shall see.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/dailypitch/post/2011/10/theo-epstein-cubs-general-manager-red-sox/1

Well, it looks like MLB may be going back to two leagues. The Houston Astros are expecte to move to the American League:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/10/astros-expected-to-complete-sale-move-to-al.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MlbTradeRumors+%28MLB+Trade+Rumors%29#disqus_thread

Astros Expected To Complete Sale, Move To AL

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [October 12, 2011 at 11:05am CST]

Astros owner Drayton McLane is expected to complete the sale of the team to Jim Crane in mid-November, according to Peter Gammons of MLB Network (on Twitter). The arrangement would move Houston to the American League West and even MLB into two leagues of 15 teams.

The sale of the Astros is intertwined with baseball's current round of collective bargaining. MLB is likely to add a Wild Card team by 2012 or 2013 and moving the Astros to the American League would likely accelerate expanded playoffs.

McLane recently said he expects the sale to be complete within three or four weeks. Last week, MLBTR's Tim Dierkes looked ahead to Houston's offseason.

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111010&content_id=25595608&vkey=news_hou&c_id=hou

Crane meets with Selig about Astros sale

By Brian McTaggart / MLB.com | 10/10/11 11:56 PM ET

HOUSTON -- Houston businessman Jim Crane, whose attempt to purchase the Astros awaits approval of ownership, met one-on-one last week with Commissioner Bud Selig in an effort to help move along the process.

Crane released a brief statement on Monday afternoon in which he explained the meeting, which was held in Milwaukee: "Late last week, I had a constructive, one-on-one meeting with the Commissioner of Major League Baseball, Bud Selig. It was a very constructive meeting, positive in all respects, and our transaction continues to move forward."

Crane's group signed a sales purchase agreement in May to buy the team from Drayton McLane for $680 million, an agreement that comes with a Nov. 30 deadline. MLB reportedly has asked Crane to agree to move the Astros to the American League if he is approved.

Crane has declined requests for comment.

Selig agreed that the meeting was constructive during a press conference at Miller Park before Game 2 of the National League Championship Series.

"I thought the meeting was constructive," Selig said. "And other than that, I don't have anything to say about it. It was the first time [Crane] and I really spent any time together, and I thought the meeting was constructive. But nothing more than that."

In August, Major League Baseball postponed a planned vote on the transaction during the owners' meetings, saying it needed more time to examine the deal. Baseball's owners are scheduled to meet again from Nov. 15-16 in Milwaukee and could be asked to vote on the deal at that time.

McLane remains confident a deal will get done.

"I sure think it will," McLane said. "It's gotten complicated for a number of reasons, but I think it should come to the forefront in the next week to 10 days."

The Astros have played in the National League for all 50 years of their existence, but a move would give each league 15 teams and pave the way for a second Wild Card team from each league. A move to the AL could add financial wrinkles for Crane, including increased travel costs and the addition of a designated hitter.

McLane previously said that he was against a move to the AL West because it would result in an increase in the number of late start times. The Astros played in the NL West from 1969 to 1993, a division that at the time included the Cincinnati Reds and Atlanta Braves.

Crane has been kept in the loop about the Astros' moves this year, including the July trades of outfielders Hunter Pence and Michael Bourn and June's First-Year Player Draft.

Crane's group also would take ownership of the Astros' stake in a regional sports network, through which the team has partnered with the NBA's Houston Rockets and Comcast. The network will begin airing Astros games in 2013 and Rockets games beginning with the 2012 preseason.

Crane is the chairman and founder of Houston-based Crane Worldwide Logistics and the former chairman, CEO and majority shareholder in Eagle Global Logistics, which provides heavyweight freight transportation and related logistics services.

A native of St. Louis, Crane received a bachelor of science degree in industrial safety from the University of Central Missouri, and he was a standout baseball pitcher for the Division II school from 1973 to 1976.

McLane bought the team in 1992 for $117 million. During his tenure, the Astros made the playoffs six times in a nine-year span, including their first World Series berth, in 2005.

Well, it looks like MLB may be going back to two leagues. The Houston Astros are expecte to move to the American League:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/10/astros-expected-to-complete-sale-move-to-al.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MlbTradeRumors+%28MLB+Trade+Rumors%29#disqus_thread

Astros owner Drayton McLane is expected to complete the sale of the team to Jim Crane in mid-November, according to Peter Gammons of MLB Network (on Twitter). The arrangement would move Houston to the American League West and even MLB into two leagues of 15 teams.

The sale of the Astros is intertwined with baseball's current round of collective bargaining. MLB is likely to add a Wild Card team by 2012 or 2013 and moving the Astros to the American League would likely accelerate expanded playoffs.

McLane recently said he expects the sale to be complete within three or four weeks. Last week, MLBTR's Tim Dierkes looked ahead to Houston's offseason.

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111010&content_id=25595608&vkey=news_hou&c_id=hou

HOUSTON -- Houston businessman Jim Crane, whose attempt to purchase the Astros awaits approval of ownership, met one-on-one last week with Commissioner Bud Selig in an effort to help move along the process.

Crane released a brief statement on Monday afternoon in which he explained the meeting, which was held in Milwaukee: "Late last week, I had a constructive, one-on-one meeting with the Commissioner of Major League Baseball, Bud Selig. It was a very constructive meeting, positive in all respects, and our transaction continues to move forward."

Crane's group signed a sales purchase agreement in May to buy the team from Drayton McLane for $680 million, an agreement that comes with a Nov. 30 deadline. MLB reportedly has asked Crane to agree to move the Astros to the American League if he is approved.

Selig agreed that the meeting was constructive during a press conference at Miller Park before Game 2 of the National League Championship Series.

"I thought the meeting was constructive," Selig said. "And other than that, I don't have anything to say about it. It was the first time [Crane] and I really spent any time together, and I thought the meeting was constructive. But nothing more than that."

In August, Major League Baseball postponed a planned vote on the transaction during the owners' meetings, saying it needed more time to examine the deal. Baseball's owners are scheduled to meet again from Nov. 15-16 in Milwaukee and could be asked to vote on the deal at that time.

"I sure think it will," McLane said. "It's gotten complicated for a number of reasons, but I think it should come to the forefront in the next week to 10 days."

The Astros have played in the National League for all 50 years of their existence, but a move would give each league 15 teams and pave the way for a second Wild Card team from each league. A move to the AL could add financial wrinkles for Crane, including increased travel costs and the addition of a designated hitter.

McLane previously said that he was against a move to the AL West because it would result in an increase in the number of late start times. The Astros played in the NL West from 1969 to 1993, a division that at the time included the Cincinnati Reds and Atlanta Braves.

Crane has been kept in the loop about the Astros' moves this year, including the July trades of outfielders Hunter Pence and Michael Bourn and June's First-Year Player Draft.

Crane's group also would take ownership of the Astros' stake in a regional sports network, through which the team has partnered with the NBA's Houston Rockets and Comcast. The network will begin airing Astros games in 2013 and Rockets games beginning with the 2012 preseason.

Crane is the chairman and founder of Houston-based Crane Worldwide Logistics and the former chairman, CEO and majority shareholder in Eagle Global Logistics, which provides heavyweight freight transportation and related logistics services.

A native of St. Louis, Crane received a bachelor of science degree in industrial safety from the University of Central Missouri, and he was a standout baseball pitcher for the Division II school from 1973 to 1976.

McLane bought the team in 1992 for $117 million. During his tenure, the Astros made the playoffs six times in a nine-year span, including their first World Series berth, in 2005.

While not the worst move imo, Arizona or even the Rockies should have moved to the NL West IMO. The AL currently does not have a team in the Moutain time zone.

Still overall this minor realignment is a very good move by MLB management which was driven by the MLB players union IMO. Yes, some old school traditionalists will hate interlegue now played all season. To them I say this, that the old 20th century AL/NL leagues ended in June 1997. So this is not the worst thing that has happened.:eek: Steroids was the worst thing in MLB history that put on the trash heap, many long standing home run records.

Now i hope the issue of the DH is settled once and for while. Personally while i prefer the DH be phased and replaced with expanded player limit to 27 players, I would not mind the DH staying either. Most important is to have '1' set of rules for all of MLB baseball.

So the Epstein move to the Cubs and the Astros shifting to the AL has now even overshadowed tonight's LCS action. Just my takes.

While not the worst move imo, Arizona or even the Rockies should have moved to the NL West IMO. The AL currently does not have a team in the Moutain time zone.

Still overall this minor realignment is a very good move by MLB management which was driven by the MLB players union IMO. Yes, some old school traditionalists will hate interlegue now played all season. To them I say this, that the old 20th century AL/NL leagues ended in June 1997. So this is not the worst thing that has happened.:eek: Steroids was the worst thing in MLB history that put on the trash heap, many long standing home run records.

Now i hope the issue of the DH is settled once and for while. Personally while i prefer the DH be phased and replaced with expanded player limit to 27 players, I would not mind the DH staying either. Most important is to have '1' set of rules for all of MLB baseball.

So the Epstein move to the Cubs and the Astros shifting to the AL has now even overshadowed tonight's LCS action. Just my takes.

LOL @ the new cubs GM, the reason I laughed is because of all that Steve Bartman/Goat/Black Cat nonsense that surrounds the Cubs lol. If Mr Bartman did the same thing @ Shea or Citifield during a Mets postseason game, I wouldn't even be mad. Its shame how those Cubs fans treated that dude, they basically ruined his life. It wasn't even Bartman's fault...

Also the ALCS game on Saturday Night was #1 in ratings in its time slot. :cool:

And best of all, Tim Mccraver is back, yay!

LOL @ the new cubs GM, the reason I laughed is because of all that Steve Bartman/Goat/Black Cat nonsense that surrounds the Cubs lol. If Mr Bartman did the same thing @ Shea or Citifield during a Mets postseason game, I wouldn't even be mad. Its shame how those Cubs fans treated that dude, they basically ruined his life. It wasn't even Bartman's fault...

This is a great signing by the Cubs. Finally that stupid team has a pro in that front office.

This a great move. It is about time they evened out the leagues. It is annoying that the two leagues have different totals of teams.

I agree that baseball should have one set of rules. I believe baseball should have player substitutions just like other sports. Then we can totally get rid of the DH.

On Bartman, it is just the frustration of so many years of losing.

This is a great signing by the Cubs. Finally that stupid team has a pro in that front office.

This a great move. It is about time they evened out the leagues. It is annoying that the two leagues have different totals of teams.

I agree that baseball should have one set of rules. I believe baseball should have player substitutions just like other sports. Then we can totally get rid of the DH.

On Bartman, it is just the frustration of so many years of losing.

This LCS update is presented by Allstate. Well Nelson Cruz is more than red hot this post season, he maybe having one of the greatest playoff streaks in MLB history. Cruz hits another overtime blast as the Rangers win game #4 in Motown and take commanding 3 games to 1 lead. They can wrap up the series and a 2nd straight WS apperence with a win vs. the Tigers on Thursday.

In the NL final, the redbirds continue their magic carpet ride and are halfway to another shocking playoff series upset. They won their 3rd game vs. the Brewers 4-3 last night. So St Louie now leads the #2 seed in NL playoffs 2 games to 1.:eek:

This LCS update is presented by Allstate. Well Nelson Cruz is more than red hot this post season, he maybe having one of the greatest playoff streaks in MLB history. Cruz hits another overtime blast as the Rangers win game #4 in Motown and take commanding 3 games to 1 lead. They can wrap up the series and a 2nd straight WS apperence with a win vs. the Tigers on Thursday.

In the NL final, the redbirds continue their magic carpet ride and are halfway to another shocking playoff series upset. They won their 3rd game vs. the Brewers 4-3 last night. So St Louie now leads the #2 seed in NL playoffs 2 games to 1.:eek:

No, no, no, hell no! I wanted the Astros in the NL West. The Diamondbacks could've went to the AL West.

I agree (Q43). The D'backs made the most sense as they close to Dallas area and would have a great fit. Right now the AL has no teams in the Mountain time zone. I guess Selig and the other owners pick the Astros since they in middle of ownership change and are much easier to try to re-locate. The D'backs, and Rockies are in middle of fairly new ownership groups themselves and would been much more diffcult to shif to the AL.

I was reading and watching the Houston tv/local papers and most Astro fans are being kind against the move. The Astros have been in the NL since 1962 the same year as the Mets were born. On the other hand moving the Brewers to the NL Central made much more sense, since the Braves before moving to Atlanta in the late 1960's were in Milawukee for over 20 years. Plus prior to the modern era in 1903, Milawukee had a team in the pre-world series era, national league club as well. It's not prefect but the Astros i think will benefit playing in a much weaker AL west and thus much for them easier to rebuliding and becoming a playoff contender in a couple of years with a good management/scouting team. Thus a new era is about to begin in MLB history.

PS not trying to nitpick and sound stupid but IMO what renaming the AL the American Conference and the NL the national conference guys like the NFL since we now will have interleague all season long? It was discused today on a website.

No, no, no, hell no! I wanted the Astros in the NL West. The Diamondbacks could've went to the AL West.

I agree (Q43). The D'backs made the most sense as they close to Dallas area and would have a great fit. Right now the AL has no teams in the Mountain time zone. I guess Selig and the other owners pick the Astros since they in middle of ownership change and are much easier to try to re-locate. The D'backs, and Rockies are in middle of fairly new ownership groups themselves and would been much more diffcult to shif to the AL.

I was reading and watching the Houston tv/local papers and most Astro fans are being kind against the move. The Astros have been in the NL since 1962 the same year as the Mets were born. On the other hand moving the Brewers to the NL Central made much more sense, since the Braves before moving to Atlanta in the late 1960's were in Milawukee for over 20 years. Plus prior to the modern era in 1903, Milawukee had a team in the pre-world series era, national league club as well. It's not prefect but the Astros i think will benefit playing in a much weaker AL west and thus much for them easier to rebuliding and becoming a playoff contender in a couple of years with a good management/scouting team. Thus a new era is about to begin in MLB history.

PS not trying to nitpick and sound stupid but IMO what renaming the AL the American Conference and the NL the national conference guys like the NFL since we now will have interleague all season long? It was discused today on a website.

Only the Mariners and As are weak. Angels and Rangers are still pretty good teams. THe Astros have nothing on them.

Since the D'Backs are fairly good again, I think the Rockies would've made more sense in moving to the AL West or maybe even the Padres. I am against the idea of the Astros going to the AL west because there's already another Texas team there. Unless the idea is to eliminate the AL/NL split, why move two Texas teams into the same division [or just the same league]?

Final words on the even 15 split: great because now Interleague should ideally be one AL team vs one NL team throughout the year. THis rather than one division in the AL vs one division in the NL with 2 leftover NL teams. This should be very fair and balance out the scheds. Every team should be able to face each other at least once. [i think to be fair it should be 6 games - 3 home/3 away.]

Since everyone been busy, a LCS update. In the NL the Cardinals (as of this writing)now have a 3 games to 2 lead over the Brewers. St Louie had an easy 5th game win and are now 1 win away from another huge upset in the NL playoffs. Meanwhile in the AL, The Tigers despite Valander not pitching a great game win game #5 and now force a game #6 in Arlington.

So looks like for now it might be a Cardinal vs Rangers 2011 World Series starting next week. On this all star game/WS home field crap, the Cardinals getting the 'home field' aka game #7 even though Texas has a higher seed/best regular season IMO is a joke. With that said, even though I am a Yankee fans the 2011 MLB playoffs are the most competetive and balanced in years. Yet the tv ratings so far in the LCS are way down than in 2010.

Selig needs to get rid of the home field tied to the ASG crap and just accept the ASG is just a game of entertainment for the fans only. Plus Selig and his MLB Owner friends understand they will never get the high TV ratings it once had back in the day due mainly to interleague and fact regular season games are all over digital cable.

Instead of the ASG, Selig and his people should instead focus on promoting all of the playoff contenders and their star players.Thus come playoff time America and the casual sports fans has an idea who is Ryan Braun or Josh Hamilton when 'super teams' like the Yanks, Red Sox and Phils are not in the world series and more likely get better ratings.

The other advice is other than LCS and World Series games avoid at all costs putting 1st round/LDS games on Sunday Afternoon vs. the NFL.

With these LCS ratings being so low, i can picture by 2014 in period of next mlb tv contract, all post season games being on cable like Turner, ESPN and the new NBC Sports Net. Also by 2014, IMO only the world series will be on 'free tv' on one of the big 4 networks i.e Fox, NBC, CBS or ABC for playoff action.

It's a shame since up until 1995, all MLB playoff games were on 'free tv.'

The Texas Rangers are back in the World Series, beating Detroit 15-5 in Game 6. Max Scherzer gets the loss, Alexi Ogando gets the win. Nelson Cruz, with his six homers in the ALCS, wins the ALCS MVP.

Nelson Cruz had a Reggie Jackson-type playoff performerence with his 6-home run and introduced himself to America and an International TV audience as a star. Again this playoff season has seen the emgernece of Braun, Fielder and Cruz but sadly the TV ratings in US have been the lowest in LCS history.

Congrats to the Rangers. What i really dislike though is fact, the Cards will have 'home field' in the world series if they win tonight. I still can't believe i picked the Rays in a 1st round upset over Texas. Ron Washington has now to rank right now among at least among the top 4-5 skippers in all of MLB right now. Going to world series 2 staright years (the Cubs have not been there since 1945)is something not to take likely.:eek:

Man I know I'm late on this but Max Scherzer had an A.J. Burnett esque outing. Dude just lost it on the third inning. Tigers lost and Texas advances to the World Series for the second year in a row. Congratulations to them, now tonight we'll see with the Cardinals and Brewers. I'm actually rooting for the Milwaukee Brewers to win it all.

It's offical. The Cardinals win the NLCS in 6 games over the Cards and advance to their 3 world series in a decade.(they also were in 2004 and '06 winning it in last time vs. the Tigers)St Louis upsets the #2 seed the Brewers and will now host the Rangers in game #1. IMO this is so unfair that a wild card has home field advantage.

Plus very likely Prince Fielder has played his last game in Wisc.

My 2011 world series prediction. Rangers in 6 games. The Cards pitching especially the bullpen a key to their surprise wins over the Phils and now Brewers has been overworked and IMO ready to return to earth.

Texas being in fall classic is not a shock as they were the 2nd-3rd favorites (after the Red Sox and Yanks)pre season to win the AL. St Louis on other hand after losing Wainwright was picked at best to finish in 2-3rd place in NL Central (i thought this was a rebuliding year)and coming back from 10-game defecit for the NL wild card shock the Braves, then in playoffs the top 2 seeds in the Phils and Braves. We shall see.

Archived