The 2011 Major & Minor League, College Baseball & Baseball Card Thread

EE Broadway Local

I still hate Texas and especially how they'll try to 'bid' for CC if he should opt out of his contract to drive up the price because Nolan Ryan and his partners are a-holes. However, I do have to hope they win because I am so pissed off at seeing the Cards with the lowest record [just like 2006] squeak into the playoffs and ending up in the WS.

Of course I'm glad there is a WC, but with 'that' record? It just promotes mediocrity.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I still hate Texas and especially how they'll try to 'bid' for CC if he should opt out of his contract to drive up the price because Nolan Ryan and his partners are a-holes. However, I do have to hope they win because I am so pissed off at seeing the Cards with the lowest record [just like 2006] squeak into the playoffs and ending up in the WS.

Of course I'm glad there is a WC, but with 'that' record? It just promotes mediocrity.

Actually the 2006 Cards only won I think 83-84 games and the WS. While this years's Cards won 90 games. With that said, Concourse my biggest stink is how the Cards has 'home field' in the world series. St Louis beating arguably the best 2 teams in MLB in 2011 with the Phils and Brewers deserve to be in the world series.

Actually the 2006 Cards only won I think 83-84 games and the WS. While this years's Cards won 90 games. With that said, Concourse my biggest stink is how the Cards has 'home field' in the world series. St Louis beating arguably the best 2 teams in MLB in 2011 with the Phils and Brewers deserve to be in the world series.

To be exact, the Cards were 83-79 in '06. They virtually had no business being in the World Series. Then again, you gotta give credit to LaRussa. They are the lowest winning world champion of all time

I don't care that the Cards have Home Field Advantage. If things were normal and they were still doing alternating years, that's how you could look at it. But they really should drop that part of the ASG. It's an exhibition game, it shouldn't impact what happens in the WS.

Screw alternating years! Team with the best record gets home field in the WS. Bud Selig only made it count because the 2002 ASG went to a tie. All-Star games were never made to be competitve

To be exact, the Cards were 83-79 in '06. They virtually had no business being in the World Series. Then again, you gotta give credit to LaRussa. They are the lowest winning world champion of all time

Screw alternating years! Team with the best record gets home field in the WS. Bud Selig only made it count because the 2002 ASG went to a tie. All-Star games were never made to be competitve

Actually Q43, until 2004(or whatever the year the ASG win/WS home field tie-in began as i forgot lol)the home field aka game 7 was alternated between the AL and NL parks. Even that much 'fairer" IMO than this ASG crap. Selig offically states excuse' on how hard it is to book hotel room in bigger cities for at least '10,000 out of town guests' (i.e media, etc.)like NYC, Boston, LA or Chicago on 3 days notice for the world series. In reality it was a way to get money and increased ratings for the ASG. With that said, I agree with your above statement buddy (Q43).

Plus an advice for "bud." This is the year 2011, you could use 'priceline' lol as well and book the hotel rooms as soon as you know who are the '8' teams that made the playoffs.

If that case, put the damn ASG on ESPN, Turner or whatever cable channel has the TV rights if that meant putting more post season games on 'free tv.' I hardly watch the ASG now anyhow as most people in Mid-July are on summer holiday. Just my thoughts as a MLB and sports fan.:mad:

For the handful of you who still care, game #1 of the 2011 world series starts tonight. The weather at Busch Stadium is predicted by Accuweather temps in the '40's at game time w/ chance of showers. By end of game probably around 1030-11pm central time 'wind chills' in the upper 30's.

Another reason the world series should start by no later than 7pm(ET)IMO.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7120501/2011-world-series-chilly-wet-weather-forecast

The Opener of the 2011 world series is a wrap. The Cards are up 1 game to none winning Wed. Nite. So St Louis is just 3 wins from winning their 11th world series and 2nd all time to the Yankees in MLB history.

Meanwhile like most sports teams these days, the Cardinals in time for the fall classic have not one but two 'rally' songs. Here they are.

1)Vega "Go Cardinals: The Rally song" which samples an old 10,000 Manics song from the '80's.

2)"Rally Squirel" Randy Mayfield.(written after the now infamous Squirel that ran onto the field during game #4 of their 1st round upset of Phillies. I am sure our Phillies fan Patcoman wants to beat up that squirel lol)

Dallas/North Texas metroplex will make history when game #3 of the world series is played in Arlington, Texas. They are the first city/region ever in the same calendar year (2011)to host a Super Bowl, NBA Finals and World Series. Too bad the Cowgirls were not playing lol.B)

Plus a chance to win the NBA and MLB titles in a couple of months period.

Minneapolis is only one to come close if you add the Stanley Cup Finals and NCAA Basketball Tournment instead of the NBA Finals. However that was from June 1991-April 1992. (1991 NHL Finals, 1991 World Series Twins vs. Braves, 1992 Super Bowl Redskins vs Bills and 1992 NCAA Final 4).

So a great time for sports fans in Dallas in 2011. I am sure most of them would trade hosting these events for a Cowboys super bowl win which has not occured in a while.:eek:

This is also the second time this year that a Dallas team is facing a team that knocked a Philly team out of the first round of the playoffs. (Cardinals knocked out Phillies in NLDS/ Rangers are playing the Cards in the WS, Heat knoced out Sixers in the first round/ Mavericks played the Heat in the Finals). All this leads to another thing:

I know that the Cowboys have long standing rivalries with the other NFC East teams, but it does not make any sense how they are in the East. It seems so out of place how a Philly/Washington/New York team has a hated rivalry with a team all they way in Dallas...

Game 1: Texas Rangers at St. Louis Cardinals

Rangers 2, Cardinals 3

Chris Carpenter pitched 6.0 innings and allowed 2 runs on a Mike Napoli homerun. The five relievers that followed (Salas, Rzepczynski, Dotel, Rhodes and Mottes) were able to keep the Rangers off the board. St. Louis won by a 2 run single by Lance Berkman and an Allen Craig 2 out single. The losing pitcher is CJ Wilson.

An alternative for those of you who don't like Joe Buck/Tim McCarver on the world series. If you have MLB.TV and also Fox Sports Espanol you can hear the international english feed (on Fox Sports Espanol it's in spanish subtitles)

with current Orioles TV announcer (also former Mets announcer as well)Gary Thorne and Former Red Sox skipper Kevin Kennedy as the lead analyst.

Just a helpful thought.

I know that the Cowboys have long standing rivalries with the other NFC East teams, but it does not make any sense how they are in the East. It seems so out of place how a Philly/Washington/New York team has a hated rivalry with a team all they way in Dallas...

I am SO glad someone agrees with me about that point. Dallas in the NFC east makes geographically split divisions pointless. I've always said that they could've swapped the Carolina Panthers for the Cowboys. That way Panthers would be in the East and Dallas in the south. I don't care about rivalry, it should be based on geography or they just have 2 divisons of 8 teams [per conference] and lump whatever teams they want in them.

I think there are also some teams in the AFC that are not in the correct geographical locations either and I had an idea of which teams I wanted to switch. It would be a 3 way switch: Miami to the south, Colts to the north, Ravens to the East.

I am SO glad someone agrees with me about that point. Dallas in the NFC east makes geographically split divisions pointless. I've always said that they could've swapped the Carolina Panthers for the Cowboys. That way Panthers would be in the East and Dallas in the south. I don't care about rivalry, it should be based on geography or they just have 2 divisons of 8 teams [per conference] and lump whatever teams they want in them.

I think there are also some teams in the AFC that are not in the correct geographical locations either and I had an idea of which teams I wanted to switch [but i don't have my notes at the moment].

I agree Conference. The Cowboys should be in the NFC South or ideally NFC West. While you could have had either the Falcons or Panthers in the NFC East.

While the Ravens should be in the AFC East while the Bills in the AFC North.

I can live with the Dolphins in the Jets/Pats divison creating a Interstate 95 rivalry since a ton of people from the Northeast/NY live in South Fla. On other hand, Buffalo is much closer to Pittsburgh, and the Ohio teams i.e Browns and Bengals and should be in that division creating a great Midwest conference.

However that for another discussion in the NFL thread.

Back to baseball. The Rangers come back with a last minute 9th inning comeback and win 2nd game of the 2011 Fall Classic 2-1. Series tied 1 game apeice. I stand by pick of Texas winning the series in 6 games. ;)

I think the only starting pitcher worth talking about being great is Colby Lewis! The other starters can't even go past six innings in this postseason, Derek Holland needs to be on his A game right now! CJ Wilson hasn't been pitching like an ace either.

Man, if only these low market teams could attract "bandwagon" fans... Sorta like the Cavs did when they had Lebron, and the Patriots earlier this decade.

Sorry to burst your bubble trainfan but the Pats play in a suburb halfway between Boston and Providence, RI. So "New England" which is the 5th largest TV/commerical market in the USA is not a small market compared to St Louis.:eek: A better comprasion is the Green Bay Packers and Pittsburgh Steelers who both got a national/international 'bandwagon' following.

Guys not trying to be a teacher (which i am lol:p)but large market cities in US sports (also for Nielsen ratings) in top 10 are 1)NYC/Northern New Jersey 2)LA/Anaheim 3)Chicago 4)Philadelphia 5)San Francisco-Oakland "Bay Area" 6)Dallas

7)Washington, DC/Northern Virgina 8)Houston

Smallest markets in MLB(not counting the A's since they share the same market as the SF Giants in North Calif.) are Milwaukee, Kansas City Tampa Bay and Pittsburgh.

In any of the '4' major leagues, it very helpful for a team in a major market (even the mighty NFL)since it attract a hundred of thousands of extra viewers.

Hope you got it guys.:eek::confused:

All i can say now is that albert pujolis has just punched a ticket to Cooperstown. Not to mention in front of America and an international TV audience has now become the globe's best player. Albert hit 3 homers as Cards blow out Texas and take 2 games to 1 lead. Can we say mega pay is coming for him very soon?:eek:

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=19938871&topic_id=25588884

Pujols was HOF bound before this season even started.....

Anyway, 3 HR's.... that's what he did in the last game?

yeah, I'll wait for the Reggie Jackson - Albert Pujols comparisons to commence....

A better comprasion is the Green Bay Packers and Pittsburgh Steelers who both got a national/international 'bandwagon' following.

No way.... Those aren't bandwagon fans in Green Bay....

Green Bay is one of those places where the whole city shuts down when the packers have a home game.... and if you're talkin about the Packers fanbase, you don't hear of packer bandwagon fans.... the packers aren't a d***ridden team; even when Favre was the starting QB..... I mean, Green Bay always had a good enough following.... The Patriots, when they were bringing up the rear w/ 1-2-3 win seasons every year back in the day, did not....

Trainfan is right on that note.... The Patriots have acquired a hell of a lot more bandwagon fans; especially more than some green bay..... on a national level, you'll find that most football fans that can't stand Peyton, DR Tom Brady & the Pats....... when the Pats won those superbowls, forget about it.....

Lemme tell you somethin else.... new englanders (for the most part) rep' the Pats, b/c they rep the Choke Sox....

There are more "homer" fans (meaning, they root for them just b/c they're also in Boston) that rep the pats, than there are true pats fans themselves.....

I do agree with you though, that the Pats don't exactly play in a small market....

Archived