The 2011 Major & Minor League, College Baseball & Baseball Card Thread

EE Broadway Local

Goji so what are your predictions for 2011? Also await from Concourse, Forest Glen, EE Local B35 and Locomotion.

Sorry for the late response, I haven't been keeping up with this thread.

Mets: 75-87 4th place.

Why isn't Oliver Perez on the Syracuse Chiefs(Nats AAA team) roster?

The season starts today against the Buffalo Bisons so the rosters should

be finalized by now. Do you think he refused? Nothing out there that he

was released by the Nats.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guess who off to a 0-6 start? The Red Sox picked by many as world series contenders. They lose to the lowly Indians today in Cleveland.

I am sure the phone lines at sportstalk station WEEI-AM are off the hook today lol. Meanwhile in Bronx, Yanks beat the Twins.

So a week into the new '11 season some surprises. 1)Orioles being 4-1.

2)Mets good start. 3)Red Sox being this bad.

Guess who off to a 0-6 start? The Red Sox picked by many as world series contenders. They lose to the lowly Indians today in Cleveland.

I am sure the phone lines at sportstalk station WEEI-AM are off the hook today lol. Meanwhile in Bronx, Yanks beat the Twins.

So a week into the new '11 season some surprises. 1)Orioles being 4-1.

2)Mets good start. 3)Red Sox being this bad.

Twins vs Yankees, another 1 run game, it's been like that throughout

the playoff series as well. So we have 2 teams 0-6(Red Sox,Rays, and 1 team 6-0 (Rangers).

Those zeros will disappear by the end of the weekend.

Twins vs Yankees, another 1 run game, it's been like that throughout

the playoff series as well. So we have 2 teams 0-6(Red Sox,Rays, and 1 team 6-0 (Rangers).

Those zeros will disappear by the end of the weekend.

Just saw on Sportscenter this fact. In history of MLB, only '2' teams that started 0-6 made the playoffs. They are the 1974 Pirates (lost in NLCS to Dodgers) and 1995 Reds(lost in NLCS to champion Braves).

So Red Sox are in deep trouble and need to snap out of it asap. Especially the Yanks, Jays and the Birds are off to descent starts.

Dude, no offense, but why are you always making a big deal over nothing? Teams have started 0-6 before. That doesn't mean they'll finish the season in last place. So they've got bad luck and bad games. Texas is still the team to beat, Cleveland - dunno. But it's just 6 games. If they were like 0-20, then that's reason to panic.

If anybody cares I found out that Ollie is working with the Nats pitching coordinator at the teams spring training complex in Florida. A 9 yr veteran and he is relearning on how to pitch. All he means to the Nats is a reclamation project.

I expect to see the mayor, Seinfeld, Trump, Kevin James, Ray Romano,etc at the Mets home opener this afternoon.

Manny has hung up his uniform for last time. Manny Ramirez most recent w/ the Tampa Rays has announced his retirement from baseball. Under normal circumstances he be a 'lock' as a 1st ballot hof in Jan. 2017.

http://www.komonews.com/sports/119500624.html

However since he was suspened for using a ban substance and long suspected for being on steriods/performence enchancing drugs it could delay or impact his chances of getting into Cooperstown. Does Manny belong?

As Manny says 'adidos' to MLB, back to the local teams. Yanks lose the Fenway opener to the Bosox 9-6 while the Mets and Mr. Dickey lose to the Nats 6-2.

Manny has hung up his uniform for last time. Manny Ramirez most recent w/ the Tampa Rays has announced his retirement from baseball. Under normal circumstances he be a 'lock' as a 1st ballot hof in Jan. 2017.

However since he was suspened for using a ban substance and long suspected for being on steriods/performence enchancing drugs it could delay or impact his chances of getting into Cooperstown. Does Manny belong?

Guess who off to a 0-6 start? The Red Sox picked by many as world series contenders.

Yeah, and so were the Devil Rays; take into account, yesterday's game was the first time they led in a game "all season"... lol....

I guess that means the AL east is gonna be the worst division in baseball this year huh.....

Dude, no offense, but why are you always making a big deal over nothing? Teams have started 0-6 before. That doesn't mean they'll finish the season in last place. So they've got bad luck and bad games. Texas is still the team to beat, Cleveland - dunno. But it's just 6 games. If they were like 0-20, then that's reason to panic.

exactly why I generally don't talk much about baseball in the first month of the season....

-------------------------

...and lmfao @ Manny retiring... he aint wanna face that 100 game suspension & that mandatory drug program or w/e... media tryna spin it like this is simply "manny being manny"....

nah, I say this is the sign of manny being GUILTY !

The dummy should've retired after his last game in Boston...

IMO he would still be a Hall of Famer, but he would have to wait about 5 years to get in (after his eligibility begins in 2017).

Yanks-O's and Mets-Rockies were rained out last night. (4/12/11) Tonight's games could be washed out as well.

I don't understand MLB's schedule making. It's '1' thing to schedule this early in the season all of the Northeast/Midwest teams without domes playing home which is a tiresome argument. However why are the Rockies schedule to visit NY this early in the season with a high chance of being postponed by rain? This is their only trip to Citifield this summer. Oh well.

Anyhow anyone notice the bad start of the Red Sox?

Well 3 games now and it is safe to say you have to be concerned over Hughes's 3rd terrible start and a decreased velocity. I hope he doesn't have an injury. If the 4th game is another stinker, I think they should look at giving Colon the start and hope Millwood [yes another wash-up] has something and can throw from the pen.

And Feliciano is likely done for the year if he needs surgery. :sigh: Mets were right in passing on him. But also makes the Soriano signing that much more important.

Well, the Mets were swept. :(

If that wasn't bad enough, the Mets are starting DJ Carrasco against Atlanta, who gave up some costly hits to old hags such as Ivan Rodriguez against the Nationals a few games earlier.

As we finish the first couple of miles in the long MLB marthon season to get to October some big surprises as we start the 3rd week of the 2011 campaign.

1)Horrible starts of the Boston Red Sox, Minnesota Twins and New York Mets. Not so surprised about the Mets as I predicted they finish last in NL East.

I am surprised about the Boston Red Sox and Minnesota Twins who were world series contenders by many people during the pre-season.

2)Surprise. The KC Royals and Cleveland Indians being in first place. The Royals are the real deal with many in the industry claiming they have the best minor league propsects in the game now. So even if they fall off they could be a playoff team by next season. The Tribe are so far the biggest surprise.

Too bad they are playing to empty Progressive Stadium(or w/e the damn ballpark is called in Cleveland these days)as Jim Dolan's Uncle owns the Tribe currently.

3)The attendence problems across MLB. I think the weather particuarly in the None dome ballparks has played a huge role in terrible attendence.

I always felt that MLB should be reduced to a 154-game season and start in Mid-April. Plus the price of tickets has not helped either and those tickets should be reduced.

Even cities with contending teams ie. Yankees, Braves, Phillies and Twins have had some empty seats as well.

So any reactions to my takes?

First they should contract so there would be a more balanced schedule - 28 teams making it an even 14 per league. [but that's just me].

They should have all games start in the south. Basically north vs south to start the season and then move north later in April when it is warmer. If teams in the south complain about lower attendence due to the schools opening at that time, then the MLB should reimburse them for a small % of the unfilled seats. Baseball should not start in the north at all till it becomes warmer. But I still agree with the idea to start early because the WS should end in October, NOT November.

First they should contract so there would be a more balanced schedule - 28 teams making it an even 14 per league. [but that's just me].

They should have all games start in the south. Basically north vs south to start the season and then move north later in April when it is warmer. If teams in the south complain about lower attendence due to the schools opening at that time, then the MLB should reimburse them for a small % of the unfilled seats. Baseball should not start in the north at all till it becomes warmer. But I still agree with the idea to start early because the WS should end in October, NOT November.

Don't forgot domed stadiums of northeast/midwest stadiums as well. i.e Blue Jays and Brewers where the season could also start at. Also the West Coast of Calif. and Arizona as well.

Only argument is that a team like the Yankees or another NE/Midwest team may complain starting the season with a 9-game 'road trip' say to Texas, Tampa and Oakland.

However Concourse I agree with your above statement. Not just chilly temps but also the rainy month that is April is another reason MLB should not start at all on April 1. Or least not in the outdoor non-dome cities in the Northeast and Midwest as well.

As a Mets I'm not surprised about our lousy start, honestly, I didn't have high hopes for this season. I don't understand why most people in America go out of their way to roast the Mets.

I mean there's the Pirates, the Royals, etc, yet the Mets are the most roasted/clowned on team in baseball.

Anyways, still a Mets fan! Lets go Mets and lets go Red Sox and Oreos, hopefully those two teams finsh two top in the AL East, thus the Yankees will miss the playoffs which always makes a Mets fan happy! :cool::cool:

Don't forgot domed stadiums of northeast/midwest stadiums as well. i.e Blue Jays and Brewers where the season could also start at. Also the West Coast of Calif. and Arizona as well.

Only argument is that a team like the Yankees or another NE/Midwest team may complain starting the season with a 9-game 'road trip' say to Texas, Tampa and Oakland.

However Concourse I agree with your above statement. Not just chilly temps but also the rainy month that is April is another reason MLB should not start at all on April 1. Or least not in the outdoor non-dome cities in the Northeast and Midwest as well.

Better a long road trip in the beginning and a longer home stand at the end of the season. If you got 10-20% of the stadium filled, no one is going to make money anyway. Teams should suck it up if they want the money.

Archived