Magnitude 8.9 earthquake rocks Japan

mark1447

I still believe it's 2012, but if the end comes, it comes. Can't do anything against god/nature.

The world can end at anytime time, 2012 is something doomsayers made up just to sell books,just look at Y2K and 666.

Also the world is not going to end,the earth will still be here but we won't.

Anyway are off topic my thought and prayers go to the Japanese.

The only silver lining of this casthopic event is Japan has among the toughest bulidings codes on the planet in relation to earthquakes. While the final death could be as much 2,000 lives(not the oringal fearful amount of 5,000 or more since the epic center just missed Toyko)that nation should be ever to recover. Unlike Haiti.B)

The only silver lining of this casthopic event is Japan has among the toughest bulidings codes on the planet in relation to earthquakes. While the final death could be as much 2,000 lives(not the oringal fearful amount of 5,000 or more since the epic center just missed Toyko)that nation should be ever to recover. Unlike Haiti.B)
NYC has many fault lines living under it and a earthquak is possible in that region.When you think it can never happen in your neck of the woods,it always end up the opposite.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRLHcnGtYD7TySe5bKPetj2MHt9ay4uW4nCB8g8o1GgMU1UnKl4KA

Remember.The Bronx and Manhattan are the only 2 borughs that sit on bedrock while the rest sits on sand and sediments.The Bronx being the only borugh thats connected to the North American continent.

Considering this is happening in the Pacific Ocean and there is this thing called the American Continents between the Pacific Ocean and the Atlantic Ocean of course it's not going to hit.

Sorry I meant if this was to ever happened in the Atlantic.

I still believe it's 2012, but if the end comes, it comes. Can't do anything against god/nature.

Seriously, Im sick of people saying this. The world can end in the next 2 minutes for crying out loud. If it ends, so be it. But for people to go around and say 2012 this and that is a pain in the ass. Humans have been trying to predict the world is going to end since time began and need to stop playing god. Only god knows when the time will come. The dinosaurs had there time, and the same way they were taken out is the same way we will be sent out.

Sorry to go off GC, but im sick of this 2012 talk.

Seriously, Im sick of people saying this. The world can end in the next 2 minutes for crying out loud. If it ends, so be it. But for people to go around and say 2012 this and that is a pain in the ass. Humans have been trying to predict the world is going to end since time began and need to stop playing god. Only god knows when the time will come. The dinosaurs had there time, and the same way they were taken out is the same way we will be sent out.

You & me both.

I wouldn't put too much faith in that Mayan calendar 2012 bs. They could predict the end of the world, but were caught off guard by the ugliest Spaniard in history? Yea, okay!

Eh, no worries. I wasn't being serious anyway. Like I said, it comes it comes, if not then it doesn't.

Could not said it any better myself. I heard the same 'talk' for nearly 4 years starting in my senior year of my 1st undergrad college in 1996 of the 'y2k' crap all the way until 12/31/99.

If the the Almighty(as the immortal neighbor Ed Flanders of the "Simpsons" fame would say)wants to end the world on for instance June 1, 2011 he will.

And it's nothing, we can do about it.

That why we do our best always to prepare for all 'natutral diasters' from hurricanes to earthquakes and tsunamis.

Right now (for those of us who believe)the world should be offering a prayer and help to our brothers and sisters in Japan

as we did last year in Haiti.

Great commentary bro (553).:tup:

An update. This aftermath of the quake/ keeps getting more horrible by the minute. Now an entire town might have been wiped out.:cry:

Minamisanriku has 9,500 residents missing from town after earthquake, tsunami ravages Japan

BY Aliyah Shahid

NY DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Saturday, March 12th 2011

"The tsunami tragedy in Japan may hit the small community of Minamisanriku the hardest -- more than half of its 17,000 residents are missing, and many are feared dead.

Roughly 9,500 living in the town along the Pacific coast in the Miyagi prefecture are unaccounted for, according to Japan's Kyodo New Agency.

Soldiers and local authorities were sent to the Minamisanriku, which was one of the worst-hit towns, to try and find their whereabouts.

Officials said approximately 7,500 in the town were evacuated to shelters after the 8.9-magnitude earthquake rocked the island nation on Friday, but they were unable to locate the other 9,500.

Japanese news sources said the death toll from the tragedy was likely to exceed 1,000 with several thousand more believed to be buried in rubble or washed away by the ocean. More than 300,000 people have been evacuated from their homes."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/2011/03/12/2011-03-12_minamisanriku_has_9500_residents_missing_from_town_after_earthquake_tsunami_rava.html#ixzz1GPYMqaXp

If it wasn't for that damned tsunami everything would be relatively a lot better. The tsunami struck that seaside nuclear power plant which is now in danger of meltdown/over-pressure. The primary cooling pump power went offline during the quake, then the backup generators got slammed by a 33 foot wall of water, causing them to shut down. This left the coolant not circulating to cool the shut down reactors, and what happen is the coolant left in the reactor vessel gets boiled away, eventually exposing the core, and if the core is exposed to the air more than just a tiny bit it can cause an explosion. The control rods have been fully lowered in all the affected plants (5 total) bringing the core offline, but the problem is they are still scorching hot, with the 2 having low water/circulation problems at the one plant.

The infrastructure has been damaged so badly a large number of towns and areas are out of communication, trains have been knocked off of tracks, highways have damage as well.

Oh, just some news in right now, it has been upgraded to a 9.0 by the japanese department in charge of rating earthquakes.

- A

Archived