SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Trainmaster5 or anyone else who’s a T/O, I got a question about the 42nd St Shuttle.

Ive been watching a few RFW videos and noticed that going S/B from Grand Central to the merge with Lexington Ave, how there’s only space for two tracks (one is the still standing Shuttle Track and the other the former express track), but wasn’t this alignment four tracks right next to each other after the curve? Or were the NB local and express tracks filled in & walled off?

Not sure how long this was changed but recently when riding the (E) or (F) on Queens Blvd, the trains doesn't slow down when it comes close to 63rd Dr up to 67th Av. That's Jamaica bound for the two said trains. 

Edited by Calvin

On 1/12/2023 at 7:02 AM, Lawrence St said:

@Trainmaster5 or anyone else who’s a T/O, I got a question about the 42nd St Shuttle.

Ive been watching a few RFW videos and noticed that going S/B from Grand Central to the merge with Lexington Ave, how there’s only space for two tracks (one is the still standing Shuttle Track and the other the former express track), but wasn’t this alignment four tracks right next to each other after the curve? Or were the NB local and express tracks filled in & walled off?

the NB trackways swung further away, but the northbound tunnel is not only still there, it's how one gets to Grand Central Tower.

I linked to the timestamp. This is the point where the Northbound track leaves the original tunnel. The current NB local ramp was dug out beneath the original NB local. behind that white door is the remaining northbound tunnel. that wall is actually relatively new, like, late 90s-ish. When I first started going on transit museum tours with my grandfather in the mid 90s, that wall wasn't there and the NB 6 would just be barreling at us until it dove down and to the side. 

Am I the only one or have others noticed that if you come from upper manhattan, taking the (1) train takes just around the same amount of time to get to Penn Station as the (A) train? (Even though the (A) is express).

I’ve come down from work on the (1) if I leave after 6:30PM (then the (2)(3) to Times Square) and it is much faster than the (A) in terms of running time. The Broadway Express trains literally blast thru from 96 St to 42 St. Which brings to me the question - are there faster express zones in the Subway than the (2)(3)?

Another weekend of (L) train shutdowns and the MTA again thinks they can pull off a 12-minute headway (M) train and think it will be a sufficient replacement…NO WAY. At each stop from 47-50 Sts-Rockefeller Center, the train was jammed butt to gut and train held an extra 20-30 seconds for the conductor to attempt closing the door. The MTA should go back to 8-minute headways on the weekend (M), utilizing the extra extra crew members. Crowding conditions at some of these stations were unreal and appeared unsafe.

Funny moment when 6 teens jumped the turnstile in front of two NYPD officers, they immediately blocked them from going south and north and asked them to leave. They left but heard a train going south and decided to run to the turnstile and hop again to the stairs. But with them hopping on board the train, the officers had them to leave again and not enter the system. This was all at Avenue U on the (Q) and they asked what was the point doing it in front of them. They answered that they have Saturday school. 

3 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

Another weekend of (L) train shutdowns and the MTA again thinks they can pull off a 12-minute headway (M) train and think it will be a sufficient replacement…NO WAY. At each stop from 47-50 Sts-Rockefeller Center, the train was jammed butt to gut and train held an extra 20-30 seconds for the conductor to attempt closing the door. The MTA should go back to 8-minute headways on the weekend (M), utilizing the extra extra crew members. Crowding conditions at some of these stations were unreal and appeared unsafe.

They have to run the (M) every 12 Minutes so it doesn’t interfere with the (Q) at 96th so aggressively. 

37 minutes ago, VIP said:

They have to run the (M) every 12 Minutes so it doesn’t interfere with the (Q) at 96th so aggressively. 

Oh. I’ve always thought that the issue with merging is when you have two lines sharing a track with uneven headways (similar to the (A) merges with the (C) and (D), the (Q) merges with the (N), the (4) merges with the (5) and the (2) merges with the (3)). And remember that the (Q) and (M) did the merge just fine every weekend from April 2019 To March 2020 during the (L) weekend closures. I think an exception should be made in this case due to the ridership on the weekend (M)s during this GO. 

another GO that has a “tight merge” is the nightly (D)(N) via 4 Av Local during evenings after 6:30PM merging with the (B)(Q) at DeKalb Av, and the upcoming (7) GO where the (N)(Q)(R) and (W) will share the downtown local from 57 St-7 Av to 34 St Herald Square (5 + 7.5 + 5 + 3 = 20.5 TPH on a single track)

Edited by darkstar8983

On 1/11/2023 at 10:32 AM, T to Dyre Avenue said:

It can still be called the (X) train if it’s light rail. My preference would have have been for modified subway trains too, a la SIR, but they eliminated that option back in the earlier feasibility study (from last January). I honestly don’t think the choice of light rail is bad (I’m sure glad they didn’t choose BRT!)

SIR is light rail? Since when? I’ve always considered its modified R44s to be heavy rail same as their NYC Transit counterparts. Same with the R211 cars which will be replacing them and the R46s.

I don’t think so, it wouldn’t be part of the subway system, it’s just going to be called IBX

5 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

The Q is timetabled to run roughly 8 times an hour. Add in the 5 Ms and you have 13 trains per hour. That's a train roughly every 5 mintues on a saturday coming and going from 96th street. 

Think about that.

1 hour ago, Chris89292 said:

I don’t think so, it wouldn’t be part of the subway system, it’s just going to be called IBX

and you know that because?

8 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

The Q is timetabled to run roughly 8 times an hour. Add in the 5 Ms and you have 13 trains per hour. That's a train roughly every 5 mintues on a saturday coming and going from 96th street. 

Think about that.

and you know that because?

For the Sandy related repairs to the (L) 96 St turned around 15 TPH just fine with the (Q) and (M), I don’t know why they can’t now. Maybe there’s something im missing. I’m just stating that the (M) didn’t do a good job handling crowds during the early afternoon hours on an “12 minute” headway along the line; and the trains were crowded, as were the platforms

Weekend service is trash. (F) and (N) trains more crowded than a lot of rush hour trains. The weekend (M) was probably crowded because the (D) (F) is already infrequent and carrying people to queens/Bronx. I avoid travel on the weekend living on local qbl. Going into Manhattan often means waiting 12-20+ Mins for slow, packed trains. If the (G) was brought back to 71 I’d do more intra-borough travel. Otherwise, have (M) go to QBL all times or make the (E) local or something. I think the (Q) could’ve handled 2 av alone like it usually does. Whenever they give those measly 3 (W) per hour on weekends (which is supposed to take people off 15 (7) ), it tends to bunch and the countdown clock looks like:  (N) 17 mins (W) 20 mins (N) 38 Mins. 

Edited by Siemenslover

1 hour ago, Siemenslover said:

Weekend service is trash. (F) and (N) trains more crowded than a lot of rush hour trains. The weekend (M) was probably crowded because the (D) (F) is already infrequent and carrying people to queens/Bronx. I avoid travel on the weekend living on local qbl. Going into Manhattan often means waiting 12-20+ Mins for slow, packed trains. If the (G) was brought back to 71 I’d do more intra-borough travel. Otherwise, have (M) go to QBL all times or make the (E) local or something. I think the (Q) could’ve handled 2 av alone like it usually does. Whenever they give those measly 3 (W) per hour on weekends (which is supposed to take people off 15 (7) ), it tends to bunch and the countdown clock looks like:  (N) 17 mins (W) 20 mins (N) 38 Mins. 

Probably be better if the (E) was sent local along QBL all other times outside of weekdays, the (M) can't run along Forest Hills without extra crews along with having extra trains to cover. It's better off running to 96 St instead for extra 6 Av service. 

29 minutes ago, Vulturious said:

Probably be better if the (E) was sent local along QBL all other times outside of weekdays, the (M) can't run along Forest Hills without extra crews along with having extra trains to cover. It's better off running to 96 St instead for extra 6 Av service. 

I’m personally not a huge fan of (M) to 96 because it’s mainly just used for the 6 av stretch that the M5 covers and to pick up the slack of the (F). The 2 av stretch itself has frequent service. I think  (M) to 71 would have more utility since it’d hit 53rd, qbl and 6th or send it via 63rd and qbl lcl and one can just transfer to the frequent (Q) at 63 for 6av<->96 while still serving intra-queens and Queens<-> 6av. Local (E) could at least hit intra-queens and qbl local stops to 8th/53

Edited by Siemenslover

52 minutes ago, Siemenslover said:

I’m personally not a huge fan of (M) to 96 because it’s mainly just used for the 6 av stretch that the M5 covers and to pick up the slack of the (F). The 2 av stretch itself has frequent service. I think  (M) to 71 would have more utility since it’d hit 53rd, qbl and 6th or send it via 63rd and qbl lcl and one can just transfer to the frequent (Q) at 63 for 6av<->96 while still serving intra-queens and Queens<-> 6av. Local (E) could at least hit intra-queens and qbl local stops to 8th/53

The (M) to 96 St isn't meant to give extra service for 2 Av, it's meant to be an alternative since the (L) wasn't running to Manhattan. But it's also meant to provide extra service along 6 Av, which if you wanted to take the bus because of lacking (F) service, by all means go and take it. However, running it to Forest Hills can't work since like I already said, there aren't enough crews to be able to cover that line during weekends, not to mention, you'd spread an already limited (M) service even thinner. Just run the (E) local since it's already a short line and QBL needs help.

Edited by Vulturious

4 hours ago, Vulturious said:

That won't be easy making the (E) local on weekends (normal weekend service). The riders would bitch and rightfully so. The (G) needs to comeback to Queens Blvd Nights and Weekends, Most people would get off at Roosevelt or Queens Plaza to transfer for an express train anyway. It sucks just having the (R) running on weekends without a 2nd option.

5 hours ago, Vulturious said:

The (M) to 96 St isn't meant to give extra service for 2 Av, it's meant to be an alternative since the (L) wasn't running to Manhattan. But it's also meant to provide extra service along 6 Av, which if you wanted to take the bus because of lacking (F) service, by all means go and take it. However, running it to Forest Hills can't work since like I already said, there aren't enough crews to be able to cover that line during weekends, not to mention, you'd spread an already limited (M) service even thinner. Just run the (E) local since it's already a short line and QBL needs help.

The (E)? Local? On weekends?

We would never hear the end of it from complaints!

The early PM (2:50-4:15 or so) rush <7> should be reconsidered. They often are just below fully seated while the (7) is packed with all the high schoolers (33, 40) and the transfers from 74th the <7> skips while both are running every 8-10 mins. They should either run more (7) or scrap it until later on when they both run often. Way more people are negatively affected by this pattern than those it helps ( <7> is already slower now anyway). If you get on at queensboro or west, you would not catch up to a local until Junction Blvd. There is a huge change in crowding between 2:30 and 3:00 at local stops with half the trains going to the <7>. I think they can just run the (7) every 5 mins like at 2:30 or 4 if they’re generous for the early PM rush. 

Edited by Siemenslover

25 minutes ago, Siemenslover said:

The early PM (2:50-4:15 or so) rush <7> should be reconsidered. They often are just below fully seated while the (7) is packed with all the high schoolers (33, 40) and the transfers from 74th the <7> skips while both are running every 8-10 mins. They should either run more (7) or scrap it until later on when they both run often. Way more people are negatively affected by this pattern than those it helps ( <7> is already slower now anyway). If you get on at queensboro or west, you would not catch up to a local until Junction Blvd. There is a huge change in crowding between 2:30 and 3:00 at local stops with half the trains going to the <7>. I think they can just run the (7) every 5 mins like at 2:30 or 4 if they’re generous for the early PM rush. 

IMO, they should consider having the Yard put-in a little earlier (like around 2-2:50 PM) so that they can have more local service at the 3 PM hour. Usually, there will be 10 minute gaps bc of the 5 minute spacing between 34 St and Queensboro Plaza (local or express). The MTA did adjust the (4) train to leave the yard early at 1:30 PM to have a put-in at that time with the last AM pull-in at 11:30 AM. That same train that goes to the yard comes back out in the afternoon. 

Edited by Calvin

1 hour ago, Siemenslover said:

Speaking of the 7, I took the PM rush yesterday and it seemed like there were a lot more express 7s than locals at 61st. Is that just because they’re express?

1 hour ago, JustTheSIR said:

Speaking of the 7, I took the PM rush yesterday and it seemed like there were a lot more express 7s than locals at 61st. Is that just because they’re express?

Likely the crowding on the (7) Local that delays it at the Sunnyside Stations (33, 40, 46, 52 Sts), allowing the express <7> to pass them. in the 5:30-6:30PM, the (7) comes like clockwork and the express overtakes the local by 40 St or 46 St, and would make sense why a second express would pass thee local by 74 St (high dwell times) and then the third would be passed at Mets Willets Point.