SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JustTheSIR said:

Off topic question:

does anyone know the site that you could choose different times and see New York back in that time. I wanted to see how the Els went across Manhattan again but couldn’t find the site

https://maps.nyc.gov/then&now/

Check out the aerial photos from 1924, those are the earliest available in this website.

5 hours ago, GojiMet86 said:

https://maps.nyc.gov/then&now/

Check out the aerial photos from 1924, those are the earliest available in this website.

This is some truly fascinating stuff.

Incidentally, it helps explain why the building I currently live in has so much space all to itself. It was once a yard, likely to receive freight. Some nearby buildings that still exist -- in addition to some now-demolished ones -- may support this, as they seem to be reception facilities.

23 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Do subway stations have address's?

21 hours ago, Calvin said:

They do but not in the full format. Stations only have street location, borough with state and zip code. No house or apartment numbers with it. 

some do... ideally if they actually occupy a property lot and also, I guess, if there is someone inside that would be required to get mail, like, say the NYPD transit bureau stations or a retail outlet. 

for example:

Rockaway Park is 238 Beach 116th Street.

Stillwell Avenue is 1243 Surf Avenue. 

On 1/5/2023 at 8:04 PM, Kamen Rider said:

yeah... that person is in deep trouble, but for now still has a job. 

Do you know how they could have even made that mistake? and evidently the r160s and r143s have some level of compatibility since the train ran for a few hours 

It's funny how even with the giant mistake of running a mix consist that could've costed someone's job, along with millions of dollars probably if things ever went horribly wrong, from a passenger standpoint, it ran pretty much fine. It's unfortunate that stuff like this was just an oopsie. However, this just raises a few questions:

• How has nobody else caught onto that?
  • What was it doing along QBL when it was out of service?
  • Why was it even in QBL in the first place?

Outside of the confusion, would it be possible to run again if there was no second set of the same type of fleet when a train is needed? Pretty much something similar to what Jamaica and partially Coney did with the R160A/B mix.

On 1/7/2023 at 6:25 PM, Lawrence St said:

Do subway stations have address's?

I would think the ones accessed street-level station houses (Sea Beach, Dyre Ave line, most of Brighton, etc.) would be because those station houses are often flanked by other properties with addresses, unlike most underground stations accessed by stand-alone stairways in the sidewalks or mezzanine-level el stations.

13 hours ago, iron1050 said:

Do you know how they could have even made that mistake? and evidently the r160s and r143s have some level of compatibility since the train ran for a few hours 

I personally don’t think that was a “mistake” and no one was terminated from this said “mistake” there wasn’t any news on this alleged incident and I find it hard to believe that any QUALIFIED train operator didn’t call out the mixed consist to local supervision… in my theory it was a test train for compatibility in case there’s a shortage. 

Edited by VIP

On 1/4/2023 at 7:46 PM, Kamen Rider said:

No they can not.

That was not a “successful” test.

That wasn’t even a test.

That was an accident that should NEVER have left the yard!

you guys all just assumed it was an intentional test.

Provide proof or a fact sheet… because the TA ran a mixed consist OOS via Queens Boulevard as well… 

On 1/5/2023 at 8:04 PM, Kamen Rider said:

yeah... that person is in deep trouble, but for now still has a job. 

When an incident like this ever occurs, it’s not just 1 person… it’s two at the least but typically it’s a couple of employees. I question your credibility and accuracy of this as this all sounds fabricated. 

54 minutes ago, VIP said:

When an incident like this ever occurs, it’s not just 1 person… it’s two at the least but typically it’s a couple of employees. I question your credibility and accuracy of this as this all sounds fabricated. 

well excuse this conductor for trying to not reveal too much information on a internal agency issue...

I know the TSS who handled it. The yard dispatcher should have never let the train out of ENY.

Put it this way... I thought everything was fine and dandy with it myself... until I mentioned it to another TSS while sitting next to him talking in the crew room.

He said 143s and 160s can't run together.

I show him the video. His jaw drops and not in the good way.  

A few weeks later, I ask the other TSS on that line and shift what happened and he explained the yard dispatcher made a mistake. While the crew should have called it out, if it was on the put in sheets, that's what they do. this falls mostly on the dispatcher for failing to correctly assemble the train.

13 hours ago, texassubwayfan555 said:

Sigh, and in the largest city in this country as well.

13 hours ago, ActiveCity said:

The IBX should've been a subway line and it would've been called the (X) train. We lost another one.

It can still be called the (X) train if it’s light rail. My preference would have have been for modified subway trains too, a la SIR, but they eliminated that option back in the earlier feasibility study (from last January). I honestly don’t think the choice of light rail is bad (I’m sure glad they didn’t choose BRT!)

11 hours ago, JustTheSIR said:

The SIR, which has been forgotten multiple times by redditors as well:

*sad Staten Island noises*

SIR is light rail? Since when? I’ve always considered its modified R44s to be heavy rail same as their NYC Transit counterparts. Same with the R211 cars which will be replacing them and the R46s.

4 minutes ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

SIR is light rail? Since when? I’ve always considered its modified R44s to be heavy rail same as their NYC Transit counterparts. Same with the R211 cars which will be replacing them and the R46s.

There have even been multiple proposals to connect it by a tunnel to the subway system.

6 minutes ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

I honestly don’t think the choice of light rail is bad (I’m sure glad they didn’t choose BRT!)

Off topic, but my city (Houston Texas) is building a large BRT network, but a few people think a city of 2 million people (7 million in the greater urban area) should be building heavy rail for some reason.