SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Michael J Q Last Bus said:

Ik yall havent heard this in a while but what happened to the F extension to Springfield Blvd

Welcome Back!

I'm assuming you mean (E) extension to Springfield BLVD? Honestly, literally nothing on the MTA's part, it's not even mentioned in their 2025-2044 capital needs assessment.

Here's a relatively recent reddit Thread if you're interested. Sounds like while most of the raw infrastructure is already there and it could be built for relatively cheaply, there are some logistical hurdles with the subway taking over an LIRR branch. Some have also argued increased/cheaper LIRR service would be sufficient.

Either way, I feel like the MTA has an obligation to at least investigate what to do about the capacity limited terminal of Jamacia Center (which wasn't supposed to be a terminal). Only being able to handle 12 tph is really bad, and at the very least you could build a crossover closer to the station, add straight tails tracks with a crossover, or extend the (E) 1 stop further to a new 168th St terminal station to solve this capacity bottleneck.

23 hours ago, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

Welcome Back!

I'm assuming you mean (E) extension to Springfield BLVD? Honestly, literally nothing on the MTA's part, it's not even mentioned in their 2025-2044 capital needs assessment.

Here's a relatively recent reddit Thread if you're interested. Sounds like while most of the raw infrastructure is already there and it could be built for relatively cheaply, there are some logistical hurdles with the subway taking over an LIRR branch. Some have also argued increased/cheaper LIRR service would be sufficient.

Either way, I feel like the MTA has an obligation to at least investigate what to do about the capacity limited terminal of Jamacia Center (which wasn't supposed to be a terminal). Only being able to handle 12 tph is really bad, and at the very least you could build a crossover closer to the station, add straight tails tracks with a crossover, or extend the (E) 1 stop further to a new 168th St terminal station to solve this capacity bottleneck.

Don’t the (E) tracks turn southeast beyond the terminal?

50 minutes ago, Michael J Q Last Bus said:

Does anyone have the <7>  Super Exp schedule? Can't seem to find it..

I think the schedule for the sup exp is made up on the fly at Mets Willis point by an TSS after weekend home Mets games, hence their being no online schedule.

It's slimar to the Yankee Special (D) trains.

Wanna ride an sup exp your best bet is to wait at Willis Point after a weekend Mets home game to ride one, that's when they usually run them.

Edited by trainfan22

10 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

R160A 9298-9302 / 9623-9627 did an AM rush hour trip on the (N) today. Guess there was a shortage of R46s available to make service today.

Did you get to ride it? I'm asking 'cause we know how much you love those R160s.

Edited by RandomRider0101
Added more detail

The MTA went dark mode on the time screens at stations. Instead of black type with the route and arrival, it went with a black background with white text. It also has a Welcome to said station with next train and later status. 

7 minutes ago, Calvin said:

The MTA went dark mode on the time screens at stations. Instead of black type with the route and arrival, it went with a black background with white text. It also has a Welcome to said station with next train and later status. 

Where is this available at?

27 minutes ago, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

The currently do, but they are only helpful for storing trains as there's no crossover for using it to turn trains. The tail tracks continue underground until they basically meet up with the LIRR Far Rockaway Branch.

To connect them is probably atleast 1 billion and to build the yard on the park is atleast an extra billion 

On 5/31/2023 at 9:04 PM, Wallyhorse said:

And this is why I came up with my plan of moving the (R) to Nassau and becoming the <R> as quoted below:

As for the Broadway Line, with the <R> on Nassau:

The (W) becomes a 19/7 line from Whitehall to 71st-Continental (with during rush hours some (W) trains ending southbound and beginning northbound on the tunnel level of Canal Street.

The (N) and (Q) running as they do now, however, there would be additional (N) service as needed that would end southbound and begin northbound at 9th Avenue or Bay Parkway on the (D) and run via the tunnel as a 4th Avenue and Broadway local.  This could be assigned a different letter to avoid confusion from those who would not get what "(N) via tunnel" and "(N) via bridge" meant.

This to me solves the issue with the <R> by having THAT on Nassau since the only merger would mostly be with a small number of (N) trains running via the tunnel (to supplement the main (N) trains) and during peak hours a handful of (J) / (Z) trains that end and begin at Broad Street.  

The (J)(Z) are fine terminating at Broad,  <R> or no <R>. Run the (W) to Bay Ridge to supplement the <R>. There’s no need for additional (N) service via the Tunnel terminating at 9th Avenue or Bay Ridge via the (D), no matter what letter it has.

32 minutes ago, Calvin said:

On the Culver line (F) , Shuttle buses are added at last between Church Av and Coney Island instead of using the B35 to the B68 for McDonald Av.

https://new.mta.info/press-release/mta-announces-shuttle-buses-replace-weekend-f-trains-brooklyn-during-signal?fbclid=IwAR1Gwbf1BvyCVNYYxsxLFIPsZAJs5YZmLdJ3xzS9N0-K3daol4AqQVD53Zk

Took them long enough to do. They said that the Culver Link subway shuttles will be available throughout the Culver Signal Modernization project, but it did not happen as a result of Covid.

Wait are the finally now just starting shuttle buses to make for lost (F) service at the closed stations?

What were Culver riders doing these past few weekends? Did they use other services like the (D)(N)(Q) or just walked? I would say the (B) but it doesn't run on weekends.

On a side note, there was an R160 on the (N) today, it was a rerouted (F) via Sea Beach because of a sick passenger I believe, but it was signed up as an (N) to avoid confusion.

Another thing about the (F) is when will it be express on late nights again, its been running local along with the (E) since about March I believe because of CBTC upgrades.

There's a reason they started with completely deinterlined lines like the (L) and (7)<7>

6 hours ago, randomnewyorker23 said:

Another thing about the (F) is when will it be express on late nights again, its been running local along with the (E) since about March I believe because of CBTC upgrades.

It is the Queens Blvd line so I would not be surprised that when the CBTC work is done the (F) will run normal for a week or two and then be sent local again due to some other work. The weekend and night delays never end along the Queens Blvd line. That’s why after 10pm it’s always best to take the LIRR to get to Jamaica or the (7) to whatever bus you need. 

2 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

It is the Queens Blvd line so I would not be surprised that when the CBTC work is done the (F) will run normal for a week or two and then be sent local again due to some other work. The weekend and night delays never end along the Queens Blvd line. That’s why after 10pm it’s always best to take the LIRR to get to Jamaica or the (7) to whatever bus you need. 

I don't live in New York anymore, but I'm pretty sure traffic is still awful late nights.

I also heard proposals to send the (G) back to the Forest Hills on nights and weekends because I heard the (R) is HORRIBLE.

I'd like to add that why haven't they killed off the (Z) yet? Just sign those up as (J) trains

Edited by randomnewyorker23

46 minutes ago, randomnewyorker23 said:

I also heard proposals to send the (G) back to the Forest Hills on nights and weekends because I heard the (R) is HORRIBLE.

The issue with the (R) train is it interacts with a lot of parts of the system that have seen heavy construction recently (especially Queens BLVD and 4th Avenue). This means if an (R) train gets screwed up on 4th Av because of construction and whatnot, Queens BLVD riders will later suffer the consequences of that with a 20 minute wait. If the (R) train could consistently run every 10 minutes on weekends, it'd be sufficient, but in practice something always seems to go wrong, and you get 20-minute service gaps.

3 minutes ago, randomnewyorker23 said:

I suspect if that were to happen at all, it would not until ALL work on Queens Boulevard is complete as it would be knocked out as it was most weekends anyway in the past.  

12 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

The (J)(Z) are fine terminating at Broad,  <R> or no <R>. Run the (W) to Bay Ridge to supplement the <R>. There’s no need for additional (N) service via the Tunnel terminating at 9th Avenue or Bay Ridge via the (D), no matter what letter it has.

As I do it, the (J)/(Z) end at Chambers in this rather than Broad since the <R> in this format would be going straight through at Broad (save for a handful of (J)/(Z) trains that would during peak hours go to Broad and come back from there).  The idea is to on weekdays have a simple cross-platform transfer set up on what essentially is a split route from 95th-Bay Ridge to Jamaica Center and back via the tunnel and Nassau:

Southbound, to continue to Broad Street and 4th Avenue Brooklyn from the Willy B, transfer from the (J)/(Z) to the <R> that would be waiting across the platform at Canal Street (which again would be the terminal for this <R> with the old northbound platforms at Canal Street and Bowery re-activated for this).  Once the  <R> leaves Canal, the (J)/(Z) would continue to Chambers to terminate there. 

Northbound, to continue to Jamaica Center via the Willy B, from points south transfer from the <R> to the (J)/(Z) that would be waiting across the platform at Chambers.  Once the (J)/(Z) leave Chambers (and again, operate and stop on what now are the abandoned platforms at Canal and Bowery that would be re-activated), the <R> would continue to Canal to terminate there, usually on what is currently the northbound track but in the old setup was the southbound terminal track (during peak hours, some <R> trains would terminate on the old northbound terminal track and relay on the "express" tracks between Canal and Bowery and come back in to Canal on the southbound terminal track (using Canal as a terminal for the <R> in this would not have been possible in the old format since there used to be a crossover at Canal between the platforms at the south end before work was done to eliminate that crossover to allow the current setup there and at Bowery).

As noted, this would not include in-service yard runs on the <R> that would continue to Broadway Junction on the (J)/(Z) (and begin there entering service as this <R> would be based out of East New York) nor would it include nights and weekends when this <R> would continue to Metropolitan Avenue on the (M) and absorb the current night and weekend (M) shuttles (and other times when the (M) would be running to Chambers).  

As for the (N), even with the  <R> on Nassau and the (W) transferred to 71-Continental where it would replace the (R) (where it would take over being in Jamaica Yard), there still would need to be a second line for Astoria to handle overflow ridership on the (N).  That is where the current (N) would be supplemented by additional service to Astoria (replacing the (W)) that would in this case run from most likely 9th Avenue on the (D) (easiest place other than Coney Island to terminate).  Perhaps such a second line could be a "Yellow (V)" that can be such a second line that also would handle those needing lower Manhattan on the Broadway line via the tunnel (since this <R> would no longer serve that part of the Broadway Line), especially during peak hours since due to constraints at Whitehall, some (W) trains would have to end and begin on the tunnel level of Canal Street.  

I read a proposal on r/nycrail that would make the (R) the BMT version of the (1).

(R) sent to Astoria, (N)to QBL, (W) eliminated (again) (Q) unaffected

I'm pretty sure it said the (N) would remain express at all times, so the (R) would be the only Broadway Local service.

Most deinterlining plans have the (N)run to 96th with the (Q), and the (R) to Astoria.

While I'm still here it seems like the (N)(Q)(W) will have R68's until they eventually fall apart.

Edited by randomnewyorker23