SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The skip-stop service would have helped speed it up.

skip stop was useless on the (1). The stations did not have the 'even' usage like the (J) has and waiting longer for one of the two trains to arrive is not a good thing*. Just having the (1) provide all service is better. If the (1) became backed up, it would do a battery run to catch up to the other (1) ahead of it.

* if you just missed a train, instead of getting on the next train, you have to wait for the 2nd train to show thus doubling the wait. Yous well just have trains make all stops.

Edited by Grand Concourse

So used to hearing newbies getting tripped that I don't even bother to look out my window anymore...

Thou some M/M can really make a tune out of those tracks as they come in yet still brake in time for the 10 mph timer. Kudos to them. ;)

Edited by Jamaica Line

The (1) is so overcrowded. It's stupidly slow and crowded at 34 Street that I haven't been able to board once. I can see the reasoning behind the (9) now...

The problem with the (1) down there is that stop is in the middle of everything. Also, its counterparts on 8Av/6Av/Bway all have two locals running at that point during the day. Even though its frequency is high, its fits fewer people per train then its counterparts on the other trunks. The second problem is that unlike its Lex local counterpart where there are heavy stations below GC, the local stations below 34 has light ridership (less real estate to cover being that it has services on either side of it a crosstown block away), and often trains get to 34 white hot if the crew operation is even of average speed. Still, TA will not add extra trains on that line just because of two stations.

I always wondered if it was better to have the express-local setup at 34 be the regular two islands for 7Av service instead of two sides and one island because of this. I understand on 7Av/8Av why its was created this way, but there isn't any kind of problems over on 6Av, which has two island express/local setups three stations in a row.

First time I rode the (D) that uses the tracks north of Broadway Lafayette to get to the 8th avenue corridor. I think it sucked that it went local after Columbus Circle, maybe the uptown (A) was running express and couldn't stop at the other stations. Talking about the GO in effect during late night.

Edited by alejr88

Guest Lance

@CDTA: The 42nd Street doesn't normally run overnights. The only times you'll see it run late nights are when either the (7) is not running in Manhattan or during the Lexington Avenue or 7th Avenue FASTRACKs. It's service hours have also been extended until about 3AM following the New Year's Eve ball drop at Times Square.

42nd St. And what I meant was how often do they run extra trains? Or how often do they run late night service?

About extra trains, there are only 3 usable tracks, and one switch, so I don't think that extra trains can work with the same waiting times. Look here at the track map. Anyways, the ( S ) has no night service. Use the (7) instead.

detail-34-42.png

First time I rode the (D) that uses the tracks north of Broadway Lafayette to get to the 8th avenue corridor. I think it sucked that it went local after Columbus Circle, maybe the uptown (A) was running express and couldn't stop at the other stations. Talking about the GO in effect during late night.

Remember that neither the (B) or (C) have late night service. In this case, the (A) has to run fully Local along the line. Since the (D) is going up 8 Av on the GO, it can only use the Local track from the switch at W4. It could surely use the Express track at 59 St, but then you would have no service on the Local. Since it was already coming up 8 Av Local, it just made more sense for the train to stay on the Local track, and the (A) stay on the Express track. There is no reason to hold up train traffic at night, plus not include Local service. It was just the best thing to do.

I was on a (C) once during a GO in the day, they were running Express from 59 St to Canal St. It took forever for us to switch. I was looking out the RFW for about 15 mins, and I saw a lot of (A) trains and (D) trains passing. Switching is hectic up there.

LOL... And he has the nerve to call me an "elitist" :lol:

Because you are. Seriously, I can't detail a foray into the city (the others weren't as eventful) without this a-hole claiming I'm elitist... I have a nice card for you.

9079.jpg

Edited by Joel Up Front