SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are not allowed to have any electronic devices in plain sight while on duty. Courtesy is generally extended to lunch or break times, but if they want to be hardlined it can extend from the time we sign in to the time we sign out. No cell phones or any electronic media in sight, whether we're in the performance of our duties or not. Railroads are even stricter when it comes to this.

Guest Lance

Here's a couple of questions I hope someone here can answer:

1) When did Alabama Av become an "all trains stop" station?

2) Why is this information not reflected anywhere? It's not on the maps, the official schedules or line maps. The only way you'd know that the (Z) trains stop there is if you ride the (Z) regularly. I could understand if this was a recent change, but from what I've seen, it's been this way for a while now, so why the delay in showing the (Z)'s actual service pattern?

Actually, now that I think about this, it reminded me of another question on my mind. Why are the local put-ins called (Z)s in the first place? They should be called (J)s for the sake of consistency. It's no wonder why people find this subway system hard to figure out at times. The (Z)'s service pattern is skip-stop in the peak direction only, except when it's not running in the peak direction. Those trains run local to and Broadway Junction depending on which rush hour it is. I'm a transit fan here and I have to say this is kind of confusing. Now, I get that when the (J) and (Z) were running R40Ms/42s exclusively, the crews may not have had the time to change the signs to (J) after being in (Z) service, but nowadays, R160s practically dominate the lines, so that really isn't an issue anymore, so why is this still going on?

2) Why is this information not reflected anywhere? It's not on the maps, the official schedules or line maps. The only way you'd know that the (Z) trains stop there is if you ride the (Z) regularly. I could understand if this was a recent change, but from what I've seen, it's been this way for a while now, so why the delay in showing the (Z)'s actual service pattern?

Actually, now that I think about this, it reminded me of another question on my mind. Why are the local put-ins called (Z)s in the first place? They should be called (J)s for the sake of consistency. It's no wonder why people find this subway system hard to figure out at times. The (Z)'s service pattern is skip-stop in the peak direction only, except when it's not running in the peak direction. Those trains run local to and Broadway Junction depending on which rush hour it is. I'm a transit fan here and I have to say this is kind of confusing. Now, I get that when the (J) and (Z) were running R40Ms/42s exclusively, the crews may not have had the time to change the signs to (J) after being in (Z) service, but nowadays, R160s practically dominate the lines, so that really isn't an issue anymore, so why is this still going on?

1. Because of the B12 & B25 below and the close proximity to ENY LIRR station.

2. It probably still happens because it's what people are used to...

I ride the (Z) only once every few months, and 1) I thought it was because the train was early because the NTT's didn't announce it. 2) Hell, Canal St still lists the (W) everywhere. 3) Agreed. I thought it was only for the sake of rollsigns, until I saw an NTT (Z).

So at 8:45 this morning and it usually is around the same time other mornings, a New Lots Avenue bound (4) is announced as approaching 125th Street. Past experiences with the (4) at this time seems to always result in the train arrival voice announcing New Lots as the terminal and the train signed up with Utica Av as the terminal. Something doesn't make sense for this to be repeating for months.

its been like that for almost a year now, I first saw it happen in summer of 2011. I was on an R42 (Z) at the time, and the train stopped at the mark at Alabama. Since there was a red signal infront of us and the train wasn't moving, I thought the conductor opened the doors by accident. Turns out the train was really stopping there!

_________

Are there still R46 on the (F)? I havent seen one in weeks, usually one pulls in around the same time every day @ Roosevelt Av. (I don't keep track of the time, I just know I leave school @ 2:50 pm and I take the (7) from 40 st to there, and when I get downstairs an R46 (F) sometimes pulls in)

speaking about R46, more and more cars are getting howling motors. so are the R32's, it seems like the R68's don't howl anymore.

Are there still R46 on the (F)? I havent seen one in weeks, usually one pulls in around the same time every day @ Roosevelt Av. (I don't keep track of the time, I just know I leave school @ 2:50 pm and I take the (7) from 40 st to there, and when I get downstairs an R46 (F) sometimes pulls in)

speaking about R46, more and more cars are getting howling motors. so are the R32's, it seems like the R68's don't howl anymore.

Yes they are, you probably aren't there at the right times anymore. Assignments change...

Edited by ThrexxBus

So today I happened to hear 2 people on the (5) that said some things that were not smart. First at 59th St the train was crowded and a bunch of people moved to get off the train. The last dude to get off gave me a look and said "You need to take that off". I had nothing on me besides my clothes and the bookbag/napsack I use every day so I wondered why on earth he would say that. Maybe he thought my bag was taking too much space but it would take up the same amount of space had I held it in one hand. On a less personal note a middle aged lady starts looking at the Badoo ads that are gracing subways across the city (this is in between 59th and 42nd) and starts talking about the phone types the app is available for. All you need to know is she ends up saying, "No one under 45 gets a Blackberry unless forced to for work or something." I'm thinking in my head that she must not know people under 45 because I have a Blackberry and I would be under 40 if my age were doubled. Plus, I know many people in my age range with a Blackberry. What have people brains come to?

Today, I was in Queens so I decided to check out if the 179 (E)'s would use the express track, and guess what? it used the local track.

I noticed that the C/R has to do the announcements manually when the (E) goes to 179th, the 160 program to go there is for the express track when I rode on it, after Kew Gardens the FIND said Parsons Blvd and then 179th, sucks as someone on the other site said that those (E)'s go express to 179th, I know the PM (E) put ins from 179th used the express track when I rode on it once.

I'm kinda bummed about this as I heard the express run from Kew Gardens to Parsons Blvd is one of the best in the system.

So today I happened to hear 2 people on the (5) that said some things that were not smart. First at 59th St the train was crowded and a bunch of people moved to get off the train. The last dude to get off gave me a look and said "You need to take that off". I had nothing on me besides my clothes and the bookbag/napsack I use every day so I wondered why on earth he would say that. Maybe he thought my bag was taking too much space but it would take up the same amount of space had I held it in one hand. On a less personal note a middle aged lady starts looking at the Badoo ads that are gracing subways across the city (this is in between 59th and 42nd) and starts talking about the phone types the app is available for. All you need to know is she ends up saying, "No one under 45 gets a Blackberry unless forced to for work or something." I'm thinking in my head that she must not know people under 45 because I have a Blackberry and I would be under 40 if my age were doubled. Plus, I know many people in my age range with a Blackberry. What have people brains come to?

No, you don't understand. Since the first homo sapiens sapiens was born, there have always been the few who lack the ability to use their brains for anything than to separate their ears and fill the cavity in their skulls. Sadly, this number has been increasing...

That faux-IND tablet the (MTA) is insistent on installing makes me sick. Canal Street on the 8th Ave. line is a good example of it. Roosevelt makes my eyes bleed even worse. The stupid plaques at Columbus Circle on the 7th Ave. line are equally tacky but they were merciful enough to spare the beautiful IRT mosaics.

Also, (MTA), maybe I just want to see some LIRR schedules. I don't want to be brought to the goddamned Weekender every time I want to access your site. Hell, half the work they're planning doesn't show up if you try to use the little Service Status box that's up when the Weekender isn't. It forces you to use that crappy annoying map.

Edited by Joel Up Front

That faux-IND tablet the (MTA) is insistent on installing makes me sick. Canal Street on the 8th Ave. line is a good example of it. Roosevelt makes my eyes bleed even worse. The stupid plaques at Columbus Circle on the 7th Ave. line are equally tacky but they were merciful enough to spare the beautiful IRT mosaics.

Also, (MTA), maybe I just want to see some LIRR schedules. I don't want to be brought to the goddamned Weekender every time I want to access your site. Hell, half the work they're planning doesn't show up if you try to use the little Service Status box that's up when the Weekender isn't. It forces you to use that crappy annoying map.

I don't understand what your saying. The service status box works for me.

I don't know what you're talking about, those first two stations (Canal & Roosevelt) are IND stations, they are trying to preserve the original style. At 59th, I agree that the plaques could be better, but they did a good job restoring the original mosaics, at least on the uptown side.

Guest Lance

I think they use IND design because it's probably too costly to mimic the Heins & LaFarge name tiles. Just a theory though; could be wrong.

As to your second point, I agree with you about the intrusive and pretty useless Weekender (all those blinking dots could mean anything). During the weekend, you have to punch in "mta.info/nyct" or "mta.info/lirr" to bypass the stupid thing.

What is up with the trains having just one door open in each car when the train is at the first stop?? So stupid!! I don't know what exactly it is supposed to accomplish other than making passengers have to walk further to get on the train. I realize that it has been a practice for years but it is one that doesn't make much sense IMO. <_<

What is up with the trains having just one door open in each car when the train is at the first stop?? So stupid!! I don't know what exactly it is supposed to accomplish other than making passengers have to walk further to get on the train. I realize that it has been a practice for years but it is one that doesn't make much sense IMO. <_<

im glad i'm not the only one who thinks that this is stupid. In the mornings, I get on the (E) at Jamaica Center and heading home from school I get on the (N)/(Q) at Astoria-Ditmars so I notice it everyday. I thought it was like that maybe because when a train is about to leave the station, it just goes from having that one door open to all the doors being open, and that shows people that the train is about to leave, but thats just my thought.