SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Guest MTA Bus

Because of the (6) running in two sections, all (6) trains running between Brooklyn Bridge and 149th St - Grand Concourse are using Jerome Yard sets, which means R142s and R142s from the (4) are running on the (6).

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No. I explain better? Where does 5 train go when use 6 train loop? It use express track entire time and then switch?

They run local all the way from Dyre Avenue, the Bronx terminal, to Brooklyn Bridge. At 125th Street the (5) switches tracks.

Guest18, these track maps may help you: http://nycsubway.org/maps/track.html

And here are some close-ups of that 125 St/Lexington Ave station area so you can hopefully see how a (4) or (5) gets to/from the Lexington Ave Local tracks (the tracks that the (6) always uses and the (4) uses during overnight hours when it runs local, note that the (5) is just a shuttle in the Bronx from Dyre Ave to E 180 St during those times) immediately before entering the Bronx or immediately after leaving the Bronx:

http://images.nycsub...p/pm_west_2.png

http://images.nycsub...ail-125-lex.png

This map shows you one of the ways in which a Lexington Ave Local train gets to/from the Lexington Ave Express tracks at the other end of the Lexington Ave subway, as well as one of the ways in which a Lexington Ave Express train gets to/from the Lexington Ave Local tracks down there. This is what allows (4) trains to run local from Grand Central to 125 St:

http://images.nycsub...etail-14-28.png

Edited by BrooklynIRT

Well, I went fanning the (A) and (C) that ran on the (F) from W. 4th Street to Metrotech, and the (D) to 62nd Street. I was also on the lookout for the R42. So what happened is that I was on the uptown 2nd Avenue platform for a good 30 minutes snapping shots of (A), (C), and (F), waiting to see if that R42 popped up. I was getting impatient and decided that maybe I'd catch at at like York or East Broadway. I went to the other platform to take the (F). My train gets to the next stop, Essex, and guess what's on the other track? The R42. Man, if I had waited 10 more minutes for another (F), I wouldn't have gone to the other platform, and I would have caught it. Oh, well. Anyway, my disappointment was cancelled when I caught an R160B (R).

Edited by GojiMet86

Some weird things that happened with the announcements on a (5) I rode on Friday:

1. I boarded at 3rd Ave-149 St and rode to the Junction, and the train said "this is a Manhattan-bound 5 local train" all the way until Bowling Green. After opening the doors at Borough Hall it said "this is a Brooklyn College-Flatbush Avenue-bound 5 express train" like it was supposed to, but never said "this is a Brooklyn-bound 5 express train."

2. At Bowling Green, the train said "transfer is available to the 4 train" as if it were terminating at BG; I guess the explanation for that is that they did not update the announcements after they began sending the (5) to Brooklyn during midday hours a few years ago. But even weirder was that Dianne Thompson's voice was saying "transfer is available to the 4 train!" It was the same announcement that the (2) makes at Nevins Street when the (5) is not running to Brooklyn and is probably the same one made at 149 St-Concourse during overnight hours when the latter is not running south of E 180 St. Although some Manhattan-bound (2) trains have Charlie Pellett's voice say "transfer is available to the 3 and 4 trains" at Nevins Street even though the (3) was already announced at Franklin.

3. At Newkirk, Jessica Ettinger-Gottesman's voice said, "the next and last stop is" and then another woman's voice said "Flatbush Avenue-Brooklyn College." Then when we got there Jessica's voice said "this is" and the same mystery woman's voice said "Flatbush Avenue-Brooklyn College." Sounded like Dianne. Could it have been the old announcement? But I thought the old announcement just said "this is a Flatbush Avenue-bound 2 train," "this is a Flatbush Avenue-bound 5 express train," the next and last stop is Flatbush Avenue" and this was the first time I heard a full sentence being played using two voices. I am familiar with announcements like "transfer is available to the 3 and 4 trains" in Dianne's voice and then "transfer is available to the Franklin Avenue shuttle" in Charlie's voice on the (2), but those are obviously two separate sentences.

Weird stuff.

Oh, yeah, I also a Brony on the (N) today. Guy was wearing a shirt with three Ponys and a Pony TARDIS in the background, and it said The Three Doctors. Guess those ponies represented the different incarnations of Doctor Who. Guy was with his two parents, by the way.

Yeah so I saw an R142 on the (6) yesterday. I also rode the (D) as well but it seems that they should finish changing the southern terminal on the R68 rollsign from "Coney Island" to "Bensonhurst Bay Parkway"

Yeah so I saw an R142 on the (6) yesterday. I also rode the (D) as well but it seems that they should finish changing the southern terminal on the R68 rollsign from "Coney Island" to "Bensonhurst Bay Parkway"

Especially when it's going there the entire month. A lot of (D) trains I saw yesterday still had Coney Island rollsigns.

2. At Bowling Green, the train said "transfer is available to the 4 train" as if it were terminating at BG; I guess the explanation for that is that they did not update the announcements after they began sending the (5) to Brooklyn during midday hours a few years ago. But even weirder was that Dianne Thompson's voice was saying "transfer is available to the 4 train!" It was the same announcement that the (2) makes at Nevins Street when the (5) is not running to Brooklyn and is probably the same one made at 149 St-Concourse during overnight hours when the latter is not running south of E 180 St. Although some Manhattan-bound (2) trains have Charlie Pellett's voice say "transfer is available to the 3 and 4 trains" at Nevins Street even though the (3) was already announced at Franklin.
I've noticed that Brooklyn-bound (5) trains always announce the (4) at Bowling Green...I was quite surprised the first time I heard it...

Anyway, here's my random thought:

Isn't this R62 (4) train making a really weird noise? I've been wondering about this for a while...(Go to 00:40 in the video)

Kind of like a jet engine. Well, this video's pretty old. Did all R62s used to make that sound?

Especially when it's going there the entire month. A lot of (D) trains I saw yesterday still had Coney Island rollsigns.

Yes exactly, I mean out of a whole train, I saw probably 3 cars with "Bensonhurst Bay Parkway" probably they'll get it by the week, today at 205th I saw one whole train with Bay Pkwy and another which I took home still had Coney Island...smh

Edit: Currently waiting for another R68 (D) train video by Daniel The Cool.

Edited by alejr88

I've noticed that Brooklyn-bound (5) trains always announce the (4) at Bowling Green...I was quite surprised the first time I heard it...

Anyway, here's my random thought:

Isn't this R62 (4) train making a really weird noise? I've been wondering about this for a while...(Go to 00:40 in the video)

< Youtube Video >

Kind of like a jet engine. Well, this video's pretty old. Did all R62s used to make that sound?

Ah now that's what I call the "Classic NYC" Where cops wouldn't harass you for having a camera in the subway or on the streets..... Plus no post 9/11 hysteria....

-----------

I remember when I was younger, During field trips to central park, my class used to take the (D) to 125 st. From there, we would wait for the (C) train or (B) train.... When any R32, R38 or R40 came into the station, My entire class (and teachers) used to cringe at the sounds of the R32's/R38's/R40's squealing brakes except me... Everyone asked if loud brakes bothered me. I simply replied no it doesn't. After that, Everyone used to look at me whenever a train's brakes were loud to see if I would cringe too... I never did. :) Til this day, I don't.

Also when a train on an elevated line passes, people cringe and I don't... Same thing when a train pass through a tight corner... I never cringe at things like that...

Edited by NYCtrainfan01