SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A dude was smoking on the subway last night when I was on the 6 train. Just putting that out there.

ehhh... nothing special with that mate, seen it many times. Just like once I saw someone drinking beer on the train.

I jumped the turnstile. The turnstile took the money on my metrocard.

You get caught, it ain't the MTA fault. If it took your money, you should of went to the S/A. If none were around, go to the active S/A part of the station for that.

Edited by mark1447

I'm looking at YouTube user RailroadPacific's vintage 1986 video of the NYC subway.

There's some vintage footage of B-Division trains with blue doors and blue stripes, and Redbirds and Whitebirds. There's also some (K) footage (using R32s).

I jumped the turnstile. The turnstile took the money on my metrocard.

It's just too easy to jump it nowadays. If there's no cop, the S/A can't do a thing. I put it on my life that if I had to pay the $100 fine for every time I jumped a turnstile, I'd have to pay well over $100,000...

Edited by Jamaica Line

I'm looking at YouTube user RailroadPacific's vintage 1986 video of the NYC subway.

There's some vintage footage of B-Division trains with blue doors and blue stripes, and Redbirds and Whitebirds. There's also some (K) footage (using R32s).

That is an interesting video. I heard that the War on Grafitti was favoring the (MTA) by the mid 80's, but after looking at that video, I guess not. I'm certainly glad that I don't live in that era of the NYC Subway.

It's just too easy to jump it nowadays. If there's no cop, the S/A can't do a thing. I put it on my life that if I had to pay the $100 fine for every time I jumped a turnstile, I'd have to pay well over $100,000...

Don't be fooled. Even if you don't see a cop around, some usually are hidden in those rooms near the entry. I've seen it plenty of times.

Hmm, the Arnines supposed to leave C.I. by Brighton line. The issue is that there is Manhattan bound track rehabilitation by Dekalb Av, which causes all other (Q) trains to go via tunnel. For the R9 this isn't working out because it has to get to 207 yard somehow. So what is the different route that it will use?

Don't be fooled. Even if you don't see a cop around, some usually are hidden in those rooms near the entry. I've seen it plenty of times.

True. I've been surprised by a few cops hidden in some enclosed areas. Luckily I was using my metrocard during those times...

And a lil' error, I'd have to pay somewhat over $10,000, not $100,000. lol no way I've hopped over 1000 times, not even close...

Hmm, the Arnines supposed to leave C.I. by Brighton line. The issue is that there is Manhattan bound track rehabilitation by Dekalb Av, which causes all other (Q) trains to go via tunnel. For the R9 this isn't working out because it has to get to 207 yard somehow. So what is the different route that it will use?

Just got the info, it will go via Sea Beach.

Anyone know why Nostrand Av (A)(C) was built with the upper/lower levels the way it is? It's really annoying waiting at the top of the stairs, hearing the (C) beneath you, running over to check for the light of an (A), then running back down to make that (C).

Edited by Amtrak7

Anyone know why Nostrand Av (A)(C) was built with the upper/lower levels the way it is? It's really annoying waiting at the top of the stairs, hearing the (C) beneath you, running over to check for the light of an (A), then running back down to make that (C).

I don't know exactly why, but the builders of the Fulton St line decided to put the express and local tracks on separate levels at Nostrand Av. Originally, Nostrand Av was planned to be a local stop, so there would be no inconvenience to riders.

How is that possible if you never swiped?

The (MTA) took my money but the bar didn't unlock. It told me swipe again and it took $2.25. I swiped again and the turnstile took another 2.25. But the thing said "Please swipe again." The third time I swiped, Insufficient Fare. I had $5 on the card. I jumped once and then again another day.

I don't know exactly why, but the builders of the Fulton St line decided to put the express and local tracks on separate levels at Nostrand Av. Originally, Nostrand Av was planned to be a local stop, so there would be no inconvenience to riders.

Yes, but why have the express on the top and local on the bottom? To the non experienced rider, it would be very confusing especially if they only want the local. They should've just made the express below just like how it is on the Lexington av lines.

Anyone know why Nostrand Av (A) © was built with the upper/lower levels the way it is? It's really annoying waiting at the top of the stairs, hearing the © beneath you, running over to check for the light of an (A), then running back down to make that ©.

From nycsubway.org:

Two levels, two tracks and two side platforms on each level. This station is an unusual two-level station with express service on the upper level and local service on the lower level.

The original design of the station was as follows: Four tracks and two local side platforms on the lower level; typical IND mezzanine on the upper level. At some point during the construction it was decided to add express platforms here, so the way this was accommodated was by ramping up the express trackways east and west of the station to the level of the "mezzanine" and adding side platforms. The trackside walls on the lower level conceal the original trackways. The express platforms are wider than the local platforms to allow for the lower level stairways. Because of this obliteration of the mezzanine, there are separate fare controls at the east (Rockaway-bound) end of the upper platforms at platform level. There is, however, a sealed-off crossover here that was closed citing safety concerns.

From wikipedia.org:

It is the only two-level station in the system that has the express tracks on the upper level and the local tracks on the lower one. It was originally planned to be a local station with a mezzanine as proven by the upper level platforms being wider than the lower level ones (which would have been consistent with the design of a mezzanine) and two trackways between the local tracks (which would have been consistent with the typical design of a local station on a four-track line). A curtain wall separates the local tracks from the unused trackways on both sides. On either side of the station, the express tracks ascend from the local tracks to serve the upper level, then descend to rejoin them.

Leaving Prospect Park s/b today I was wondering why the operator was hauling instead of braking for the switch ahead. With me standing against the doors I was trying to get a good grip thinking he'd take the switch hard as hell... Nope, caught me by surprise that s/b (Q)s were running express. Every time we'd hit an overpass a big, loud gust of wind was heard. Along with the sounds of the wheels beating the rails, it made the ride seem more intense. Getting off at Church I can see the operator had on a pair of half finger grip gloves, (normally seen operators wear these {for obvious reasons} but haven't in a while) giving more of an impression that the 160s can really haul ass (even thou I know for sure they can).

Edited by Jamaica Line