SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

At the AM Rush, as I fanned the (C) N/B from Euclid to 168th, at Spring Street there was a guy who stook his middle finger at me and the operator.

Stuck, not stook. Any reason why he did so?

As my train was leaving the Spring Street station, the T/O quickly open his window and shouted "F***K YOU TOO!" and closed his window back as the first car entered the tunnel portal. I had LOL!  :lol:

I'm sorry but this is really unprofessional. Call the guy out if you must, but by answering with profanities you basically stoop to his level.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the AM Rush, as I fanned the (C) N/B from Euclid to 168th, at Spring Street there was a guy who stook his middle finger at me and the operator. As my train was leaving the Spring Street station, the T/O quickly open his window and shouted "F***K YOU TOO!" and closed his window back as the first car entered the tunnel portal. I had LOL!  :lol:

lol

Stuck, not stook. Any reason why he did so?

Thanks for the correction lol. And I have no idea. Just some random guy out of nowhere lol.

EDIT: To answer your second part of the post, I never said anything. Just ignored and carried on with my RFW. I laughed at what the T/O said to the guy when he went "F**K YOU TOO!" before he quickly closed the window as he pulled the train away.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

At the AM Rush, as I fanned the (C) N/B from Euclid to 168th, at Spring Street there was a guy who stook his middle finger at me and the operator. As my train was leaving the Spring Street station, the T/O quickly open his window and shouted "F***K YOU TOO!" and closed his window back as the first car entered the tunnel portal. I had LOL!  :lol:

Tough day on the job huh? Hahaha....

Thanks for the correction lol. And I have no idea. Just some random guy out of nowhere lol.

EDIT: To answer your second part of the post, I never said anything. Just ignored and carried on with my RFW. I laughed at what the T/O said to the guy when he went "F**K YOU TOO!" before he quickly closed the window as he pulled the train away.

I know it was the T/O that did it, my post was just worded poorly. I'm all for giving arrogant a**holes what's theirs but surely there must have been a way to do so without exclaiming "F**k you"?

This one driver I knew, when told by passengers that he was late, would reply with "At least we know you can tell time."

The T/O had me laughing (in a quiet way)...Can't blame 'em...There's always random idiots in the subway... :lol:

Tell me about it. Some guy was sticking the middle finger at everyone including me on the (D) train between 36th Street and Atlantic Ave Barclays Center. I just mind my own business.

(Source: http://transferpoint.bravepages.com/museum/transit_pictures/06/06.jpg )

06.jpg

This pic? There is a definite gap. It's usually a 1' gap between the edge of an IRT car and the platform in an IND or BMT platform. (An IRT car is about 8'10 7/16" wide at it's side sills whereas with a given IND/BMT car, it is 10' 7/16".)

Yes, that pic. I can't see the gap in the picture. But maybe that's just me.

Quick question: does anyone know how the loads were on the (7) this moring?  The LIRR diverted a bunch of trains to Hunterspoint Avenue due to last night's derailment and reports were that trains to HPA were SRO.  How did the (7) fair with all those extra people heading into Manhattan?

I don't know, but I'm going to take a guess that there were more people riding the 7 than usual this morning......

Co-worker said she couldn't even get on the platform at Willets Point. 

Although, she also said repeatedly "The LIRR cancelled ALL the trains to port washington" when she was going home. 

And I'm like, no, look, that's demonstrably false they cancelled like 6 of them - but she stuck to her guns so I don't know how reliable that report is.  :mellow:

Another 'grinding' brakes 142A this morning, I don't particularly care but the people standing over that truck were not impressed at having to cover their ears at every station (T/O was also pushing it pretty hard, which meant some heavy braking).

I will say this much: whatever the cost of platform screen doors is, they absolutely need to install them (sound-proof ones) at Grand Central and Union Square on the Lex IRT. Trains are all the same in terms of door layout Oh damn it, right R68's coming in. Seriously, though. Those two stations need some sort of solution to the noise problem. Yes, I know there are gap fillers at Union Square southbound platform, so any solution would need to work in tandem with those.

Guessing either cuz of passenger demands (like the (B) / (D) on Brighton/West End) or for uniformity on the map.

Wikipedia states the (B) and (C) switched northern terminals on May 1, 1998, but it doesn't say why. Did the (C) use the upper or lower level when it terminated at 145th Street?

It used the lower level...

Makes sense to me. Because the lower level @ 145th is what the (B) in it's currrent pattern of service utilizes. It's a simple swap that's all ther it is to it, I imagine to consolidate car types to it's designated yards.

Edited by realizm

Another 'grinding' brakes 142A this morning, I don't particularly care but the people standing over that truck were not impressed at having to cover their ears at every station (T/O was also pushing it pretty hard, which meant some heavy braking).

Sometimes in the middle of the night (when I'm up) I can hear grinding R142A brakes, and I live a block over from the el!

Otherwise, save for the occasional faint rumble at night, I don't hear the trains at all.

Took the B12 to Alabama Avenue on the BMT Jamaica Line. Got on an R160A-1 (J) heading to Jamaica Center. Then took the front window of the R42 (Z) from Jamaica Center to Broad Street, then back to Broadway Junction. Then an Jamaica Center-bound R42 (J) came, rode it there and then it got taken out of service to lay up. I went out to grab something to eat before I came back at around 11:20 something.  One of the 11:20 or 11:30 something (J) trains was that 8-car R32.

I met another rail buff named Dante from Long Island as we shared the front window while heading from Jamaica Center to Broad Street via the R32 and then reverse. Also saw few more railfans along the way. However, he left at the junction cuz he had to go home. I continued my RFW on the northbound side. Until after Jamaica Center, I sat down at the car I was on and took it to Alabama. Then rode the B12 home.

There's a staircase closed off at the northbound side of the 168th Street station on the (1) line. Wikipedia says it leads to an unknown location. I wonder where this goes.

Well it is not exactly known officially and I personally have no idea, could be just that, a closed exit/entrance to a fare zone leading to the sidewalk or a former transfer point to the IND 168th Station. But there were old elevators that once existed at that station where the crossovers which was demolished when the IND CPW was built. (Not talking about the current elevators) All that's left is a closed off shaft. There were numerous infrastructure changes that were made to that station over the years again partly due to construction of the IND CPW.

Edited by realizm

Unknown by wikipedia, maybe.....think, what is JUST NORTH of 168 St station?

Eh, I gave him a hint and got downvoted for it. So I guess it'll just have to stay unknown.

idk if this is related but a station in the 125-168 had like a cross under that was sealed on either the (1) or the (A)  could it be related?