SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can someone explain why the (1) is going express from 34th Street to 14th Street and the (2) and (3) are going local from 34th Street to Chambers Street? I heard the announcement that it was for construction purposes, but why the swap? I even asked an (MTA) worker and he, like me, had no idea.

Usually is cause they have to maintain the South Ferry Loop so in order to do that the last stop for the (1) is 14th st and it goes express not to have a traffic jam for (1) trains.

Usually is cause they have to maintain the South Ferry Loop so in order to do that the last stop for the (1) is 14th st and it goes express not to have a traffic jam for (1) trains.

If the MTA is working at South ferry loop then the (5) would be suspended along with the (1). (5) trains are running to Manhattan as usual but local. The reason for the (1) service change is work at Cordlant st near the World Trade Center. They are not working at South Ferry so the (5) is still turning there as normal.

They'd be sniffing a lot of that paint thinner if they started painting the bodies of the R42s...

--

Imma impart my railfanning philosophy on everybody: if it requires effort, it is not worth it. My ass is not losing a minute of sleep just cause a certain train's running the morning rush.

I got no choice but to get up early, since I work 2 hours away from home, mind as well cacth the train before I go to work Edited by R32 3838

Guest Lance

Alabama Avenue on the BMT Jamaica Line is no longer a skip-stop station right? I've noticed the (Z) stops there now (like the (J)).

Correct. Alabama Av has been an "all trains stop" station for at least the past couple of years.

How will the Arnines run to Coney island on Saturday? Via Culver?

The route is supposed to be transit museum to 80 St, 80 St to Jay St, Jay St to Coney via Culver, Coney to 36 St via West End, 36 St to Coney via Sea Beach, Coney to 59-CC via Brighton & 6th Ave.

Or in other words, via EVERYTHING.

They're running the (N) shuttle tonight:

http://travel.mtanyct.info/serviceadvisory/routeStatusResult.aspx?tag=N&date=6/25/2013&time=&method=getstatus4

Planned Service Changes for: Tuesday, June 25, 2013

N.png No trains between Queensboro Plaza and Ditmars Blvd 

shuttle_bus.png Free shuttle buses provide alternate service 
Late Night, 11:45 PM Tue to 5 AM Wed, Jun 25 - 26 

N.png Service operates between Stillwell Av and Queensboro Plaza
shuttle_bus.png buses make all stops between Queensboro Plaza and Ditmars Blvd

• Transfer between N.png trains and shuttle_bus.png buses at Queensboro Plaza

Station Shuttle Bus Stop Queensboro Plaza  7.png N.png Queens Plaza South at 27 St
39 Av 31 St at 39 Av
36 Av 31 St at 36 Av
Broadway 31 St at Broadway
30 Av 31 St at 30 Av
Astoria Blvd 31 St at Hoyt Av North (to Queensboro Plaza)
                   31 St at Astoria Blvd (to Ditmars Blvd)
Ditmars Blvd 31 St between Ditmars Blvd and 23 Av

Note: At Queensboro Plaza, N.png trains board at the upper-level platform. 

Edited by GojiMet86

Guest Lance

Depends on the age of the rollsign. "Original" (post-GOH) rolls don't have any text for the Z route while newer ones (either from 2001 or '04, I forget which) have rolls like the one in your top picture.

Today at late AM Rush around 9:40 or 9:50 something while I fanned the northbound direction of the (C), the first time in my life is that it crossed infront of the (A) at Hoyt. This is something I can't even see during the off-peak hours on midday as proven by my previous RFWs that I did during the peak midday times. I was, in all honesty, happy that the dispatcher held the (A) to let my (C) proceed first!

Finally....sigh....

Edited by RollOverMyHead

So why is it that some R32 rollsigns show the full Z script

S5030676.jpg

(R32_3671 photo)

while others only show the letter?

MLS_1995_zpsad884c65.jpg

(quickie I took today)

that rollsign on 3610 is from 1989-90 very very few R32s have the Z Jamaica Nassau St, the older rollsigns (the ones with the smaller lettering are from 1988, 3380/1,3510/11 and 3356( reefed) has rollsigns from 1985 pre 1988) 3610 is in ENY yard so you'll see that sign again, I took that shot in 2009 on an R train Edited by R32 3838

as im noticing this (7) train in 11 cars, how does the c/r open/close the doors for passengers as this is a Main St Exp in all singles?:

2000-1999-1998-1997-1996.1947.2121-2122-2123-2124-2125

*srry if theres no photo, the (7) EXP ran in full speed and is blurry

Edited by Calvin