SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Is there any chance of a R68/68A (R)  on the southern portion?

The southern portion is going to be using CIY equipment, so it's always POSSIBLE. More possible on the weekends when they aren't busy being used on the (B) ..... but on weekends they're running full length via the bridge so CIY is only contributing 4 sets. So no, don't count on it.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The southern portion is going to be using CIY equipment, so it's always POSSIBLE. More possible on the weekends when they aren't busy being used on the (B) ..... but on weekends they're running full length via the bridge so CIY is only contributing 4 sets. So no, don't count on it.

On weekends, the (R) will be rerouted via the Manhattan Bridge in both directions and I'm wondering if it'll be a part of Jamaica yard only at the time or by both Jamaica and Cony Island Yard

Saw this this morning as well.

---

The awkward moment when you get off the (Q) for the (B) at Kings Highway and at DeKalb, the same (Q) rolls up running on the (R) line and you get on the same car you got off of at Kings Highway.  On top of that, arriving at Court Street, people asking if this (Q) was running on the (R) line even after the conductor said it was..I mean honestly, where else would this (Q) go?! The (F)? FFS.

It's like when a (D) gets run down the Culver...outside...and the conductor blares over the PA "ALL STOPS TO CONEY ISLAND, ALL LOCAL STOPS TO CONEY ISLAND" and half the platform still doesn't get on because it's not an (F) train. Cause that (D) train will totally fly off the tracks and land at Bay 50 St on the West End.

Stupid question. haven't found an answer. Really, really apologize if it's been answered. Search on these forums isn't very good.

Will the split (R) have the usual 59 St. dropouts/put-ins that the full route has during rush hours? I'm guessing with the short route, the Court-95 portion will just have all trains run the full length and have trains deadhead from 95 St when service winds down for midday.

@peacemaker and Culver

True. Though you also gotta remember that not everyone knows every part of the system like we do. In the minds of the (2) and (5) riders, their train goes to Flatbush but are constantly battlefield by those limit runs to Utica/New Lots Avenues. And the C/R has to manually announced that their train is being rerouted down the rest of the Eastern Parkway corridor and then down the Livonia Avenue line. I agree that the questions they ask though are stupid especially since the C/R has already announced what their train is doing and the average riders still don't follow through.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

@peacemaker and Culver

True. Though you also gotta remember that not everyone knows every part of the system like we do. In the minds of the (2) and (5) riders, their train goes to Flatbush but are constantly battlefield by those limit runs to Utica/New Lots Avenues. And the C/R has to manually announced that their train is being rerouted down the rest of the Eastern Parkway corridor and then down the Livonia Avenue line. I agree that the questions they ask though are stupid especially since the C/R has already announced what their train is doing and the average riders still don't follow through.

I'll give em a pass on underground stations, not on elevated stations where one can plainly see in broad daylight that there is no physical way for the train to magically go anywhere but further down the el.

Stupid question. haven't found an answer. Really, really apologize if it's been answered. Search on these forums isn't very good.

Will the split (R) have the usual 59 St. dropouts/put-ins that the full route has during rush hours? I'm guessing with the short route, the Court-95 portion will just have all trains run the full length and have trains deadhead from 95 St when service winds down for midday.

All layups and put-ins during the week will be done at 95 St, with trains running lite to/from there (usually up to 59 St, and then either wrong rail to 8th Ave and then to the Sea Beach middle to CIY, or else layup on F3 between 36-59), except for the PM rush where 3 sets will go into service at 36 St N/B.

It's like when a (D) gets run down the Culver...outside...and the conductor blares over the PA "ALL STOPS TO CONEY ISLAND, ALL LOCAL STOPS TO CONEY ISLAND" and half the platform still doesn't get on because it's not an (F) train. Cause that (D) train will totally fly off the tracks and land at Bay 50 St on the West End.

Seriously man I don't get the logic on some people.

@peacemaker and Culver

You don't even need to know the system at all when the conductor yells out that they will be making the appropriate stops.  I've seen more tourists with their ears open rather the native New Yorkers.

I know people that never took the subways or barely take the subways being more alert than commuters that take it everyday.

This can use some under used express tracks. This could save time for passengers because fir example a 2 trai. Can start at wakefield go via the express track to E 180 St where passengers can transfer to the 5 or 2 trains to manhattan. Overall this should save time for passengers. I realize it would not work on the Queens Blvd Line, but it should certainly work on lines with barely used express tracks. Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Any train running express between 241st and East 180th, stopping only at Gun Hill, would be virtually empty. Why spend money running it? It's not like 2 trains are overcrowded at that point.

According to this... http://www.thejoekorner.com/carassignments/index.html

After the (R) gets split in two sections, the Southern Portion of the (R) will use Coney Island Alstom R160's and the (F) will have 16-17 trains of R46 during Rush Hour...

...Now that roster isn't 100% accurate. (Actually it mostly is, but the (MTA) likes to change things at the last second :P ). Anyway, if you notice it says R160B-1 on the (R) only. Same with the (Q) . If the (Q) still uses Siemens, then the (R) will most likely as well. Also, I'm pretty sure Jamaica Yard will send some of its R160s back to CI (Likely 9198-9232) (until the (R) service gets restored), or CI won't have enough R160s to put on the (R) (It makes sense when you look at it, otherwise CI would be short on cars and JY would have all these extra R160s). 

Like I said, its not 100% accurate. It also says the (G) is 100% R68 (No R68A, which is not true). 

But i'm looking forward to those R46 (F) . It will be the old days all over again :) . (Now if only they would bring back the R32 (F):P ).

I'm not certain about this, but from what I'm hearing, the cars on both parts of the R will continue to be based at Jamaica Shop. The southern R will be using R160's so that Coney Island Shop can pitch in and make small-scale repairs, but inspections and larger maintenance jobs will still take place at Jamaica. The cars can be easily swapped out for other R160's on weekends (or, if necessary, any day on the F).

The car assignments split out the R68/R68A and the various types of R160, when in practice the yard dispatchers don't care. The car assignments still have to include an absolute number of each car class on each line, even if reality isn't so cut-and-dry.

Congratulations, you're one of the few people on this site that has accepted that a railfan website might POSSIBLY have incorrect information on it! I saw a R68A (G) yesterday. The (D) also occasionally gets an R68A.

In practice, the G runs a lot of R68A's.

I don't know if this is still the case, but the D used to use one CI-based train on Saturdays, and it was (or is) often R68A. R68A appearances on other days of the week, aside from baseball specials, are not common.

Ive only seen 68As on the (G)  when the (B) isnt running,other times its all 2800s

No it's not. The G runs plenty of R68A's on weekdays.

Is there any chance of a R68/68A (R)  on the southern portion?

If my information is correct and the southern R is using Jamaica-based cars, then I would say an R68/68A is very unlikely - an R46 would be far more likely.

Agreed. Don't forget, the R62s and R62As as well.

They don't have transverse seats.

If my information is correct and the southern R is using Jamaica-based cars, then I would say an R68/68A is very unlikely - an R46 would be far more likely.

The south (R) should be using CIY-based cars; it would be a pain to send R46s down to the south (R) and back to Jamaica everyday.

The new service signs are up at Dekalb! I was expecting them to go with those black text on white background signs like they usually use for temporary service changes like Smith-9, but they're the regular type. Looks like this is gonna be for the long haul.

I believe the whole entire (R) line now has updated signs... Saw them at Woodhaven, DeKalb, Court, Whitehall, and 34th. 

Today was my first time I ever rode the (G). I rode it from Hoyt to Church, then to Court Square and then back to Hoyt. The ride was very quiet and nice. The R68/68A cars themselves are indeed very quiet trains. The train was generally empty since this was during the midday period. Hopefully, the next time I ride the (G), I hope I get it at rush hour or on during busy times on a weekend when its overcrowded.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

Today was my first time I ever rode the (G). I rode it from Hoyt to Church, then to Court Square and then back to Hoyt. The ride was very quiet and nice. The R68/68A cars themselves are indeed very quiet trains. The train was generally empty since this was during the midday period. Hopefully, the next time I ride the (G), I hope I get it at rush hour or on during busy times on a weekend when its overcrowded.

Did the set you were on have any flatspots? Those hippos always sound loud on the viaduct with their flatspots every time I'm on a (G). As quiet as they are inside, they're no fun to be around in an underground station when they pull in.

Did the set you were on have any flatspots? Those hippos always sound loud on the viaduct with their flatspots every time I'm on a (G). As quiet as they are inside, they're no fun to be around in an underground station when they pull in.

Nope. It was very quiet and smooth.

I really love the G as a line. I used to be dating a girl who lived by 15th St Prospect Park - It would take the same amount of time to go there via the F or the G - but I almost always chose the G. Non rush hours there is usually seating, the R68's are comfortable always with fantastic air conditioning, and the transverse seating, while annoying in a packed car, makes for a nice window seat on a lowly-loaded train. The culver viaduct, then, provides wonderful veiws from that window seat. 

The south (R) should be using CIY-based cars; it would be a pain to send R46s down to the south (R) and back to Jamaica everyday.

The shop assignment has nothing to do with which yard(s) the cars are stored in. The shop assignment simply determines which barn is responsible for maintenance and scheduled inspections.

Currently, R trains lay up at Jamaica Yard, on the outer QBL express tracks, at City Hall, on the 4th Avenue express tracks, at the spur track north of 95th, and at Coney Island Yard. (Have I missed anything? Probably.) But every single one of those cars is based at Jamaica Shop. Many if not most lines have multiple storage locations, but (aside from the temporary situation on the C and the J, and possibly a few other rare exceptions) all of the cars assigned to any given line are maintained at a single shop.

If the cars on the southern R are based at Jamaica, that doesn't mean that they have to physically go to Jamaica every night.

I know this is fantasy but would you like the idea of a big undergroun transit museum with 8 tracks with island platforms in between (4 IRT, 4 IND/BMT) with the ability for 720 feet trains. There would be a platform at the side to connect all the platforms. This would allow the MTA to save more trains for the museums and keep the cars out of yards, which currently is leaving enough space for other cars that could be occupying the space. Also, there isn't nearly enough room in the transit museum. This would be my fantasy. Does anyone like the idea. I know it would probably never happen (at least not in our lifetimes), it would cost too much, it's not a priority, there isn't enough space.

The new service signs are up at Dekalb! I was expecting them to go with those black text on white background signs like they usually use for temporary service changes like Smith-9, but they're the regular type. Looks like this is gonna be for the long haul.

Caught them:

vdop.jpg

apcs.jpg

k4ky.jpg

ps11.jpg

I know this is fantasy but would you like the idea of a big undergroun transit museum with 8 tracks with island platforms in between (4 IRT, 4 IND/BMT) with the ability for 720 feet trains. There would be a platform at the side to connect all the platforms. This would allow the MTA to save more trains for the museums and keep the cars out of yards, which currently is leaving enough space for other cars that could be occupying the space. Also, there isn't nearly enough room in the transit museum. This would be my fantasy. Does anyone like the idea. I know it would probably never happen (at least not in our lifetimes), it would cost too much, it's not a priority, there isn't enough space.

While that would be very very cool, I'd much rather see that kind of capital construction budget go toward any number of other projects. Honestly, while small, I think the transit museum space we have is amazing, and as a city - we're incredibly lucky to have it. 

The only way I could see a museum this size happening would be if it were built above ground in a fairly remote location.