SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Not to be snide, but none of the things in your example mean the (C) isn't slow, they just mean that there's a reason WHY it's slow.

Anyway, slow and useless award of the year always goes to the (R) instead.

Here's my correction then:

Some people at my school and in the subway themselves complain about the  (C) being slow. Obviously if there was no (A), (B) and (E) infront of it then its faster, not to mention the amount of timers along most of the (A) express.

And I don't agree about the (R) being "useless" since I see it crowded often on Queens Boulevard and Broadway during weekends with shop goers.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are there (2) trains going To New Lots Afternoon Rush? I see in the real time info there is one now.Dont remember there being any in that direction before? Also I was on one the other day and it was an R62A.

They go there during the rush to get the equipment into the yard.

Here's my correction then:

Some people at my school and in the subway themselves complain about the  (C) being slow. Obviously if there was no (A), (B) and (E) infront of it then its faster, not to mention the amount of timers along most of the (A) express.

And I don't agree about the (R) being "useless" since I see it crowded often on Queens Boulevard and Broadway during weekends with shop goers.

No I think you were initially correct. The (C) in itself isn't slow, as the trains itself flies along the line at fast speeds. (The IND system's local tracks actually has less timers then on the middle express tracks with notable exceptions). As for the (R), slow as it is due to mistakes in design with the Dual Contracts, is obviously needed. Having only one 4th Ave express will cause a nightmare of congestion particularly on the (N). In fact I just came from Manhattan on my commute, the (N) I took was crushloaded to the max. Now imagine if it was a local train as it was in the 90's ...... obviously this is why even after the budget cuts the MTA let the (N) remain as a Sea Beach Express. Key Stations are 36th Street, particularly 8th Avenue, Ft Hamilton Pkwy, Ft Hamilton and 18th Ave. after that the passenger capacity lightens up.

In Brooklyn as it is even with the split the (R) in the rush hour is packed particularly in the PM rush. I see this every day up to this post.

@ RollOverMyHead: On my initial post I think what the students are saying is that the (C) isn't necessarily slow in terms of speeds, but the wait times are longer at certain times of the day. This is apparent as the two 8th Ave Line routes spread out on the IND Fulton.

Edited by realizm

@ RollOverMyHead: On my initial post I think what the students are saying is that the (C) isn't necessarily slow in terms of speeds, but the wait times are longer at certain times of the day. This is apparent as the two 8th Ave Line routes spread out on the IND Fulton.

Yeah, waiting time for the (C) is 10-12 minutes which is what riders mostly complain about according to the Straphangers Campaign. But the present headway still handles the crowds fine. I always see some people get off at an express stop and wait for the (A) so its either the (C) remains relatively empty, few seats available or is heavily crowded and standing-room only. This I've seen at rush hour all the time on that line (Central Park West and Fulton Street respectively in the reverse peak direction).

Edited by RollOverMyHead

Exactly. In itself with the TPH it can be an annoyance, understandable but otherwise the pattern does technically provides sufficiency for passenger loads. I've worked out there on contracts close to Canarsie and that was what I observed traveling on the (A) or (C) back to the Bronx back then last year. We all know this but the problem is the Cranberry Street Tunnel, it only can handle but so much traffic coming from the IND Fulton Street Line and vice versa.

Edited by realizm

Okay, you can talk about the tunnel limits and the train traffic and all that, but at the end of the day a straphanger is only going to care how fast the train is traveling once they've gotten on. And the C isn't always all that fast. Yes, as everybody has pointed out, there are many reasons, but that doesn't really matter to your average commuter.

Edited by MHV9218

Are there (2) trains going To New Lots Afternoon Rush? I see in the real time info there is one now.Dont remember there being any in that direction before? Also I was on one the other day and it was an R62A.

There's a few in the morning that comes out then goes back, then a few in the afternoon (first one gets to Rockaway Av heading north at about 2:30) that goes back later in the evening

Okay, you can talk about the tunnel limits and the train traffic and all that, but at the end of the day a straphanger is only going to care how fast the train is traveling once they've gotten on. And the C isn't always all that fast. Yes, as everybody has pointed out, there are many reasons, but that doesn't really matter to your average commuter.

Remember the Culver Viaduct work and the more affluent residents along the corridor, the initial reaction on the blogs and the e-zines such as the Gothamist? First the complain because of the structure as falling apart and because of the stations which were then in a state of deferred maintenance. Which led to an engineering assessment. Then the MTA started the GO's . So some of the more affluent residents in the area (NIMBY's? Hipsters anyone?) started complaining *about that* and how the Capital Construction Committee were disrupting their weekday and weekend commute. So what some of these apparent Red Hook, Park Slope and Windsor Terrace residents wanted? The MTA to split the East River without affecting service in order to rebuild the viaduct in the first place?

I know the MTA can seriously screw up on things. But seriously some straphangers can be utterly moronic to a degree that I am running out of proper expletives to even explain further.

Edited by realizm

The Reason why the R has more R160s than R46s is because when the R goes via bridge on weekends and once full R service is done Sunday night, they don't have to worry about an R46 going on the south end, all the R160s on the R belong to Jamaica, none are from CI, this is why the F has mostly have R46s and the R has mostly R160s, its all about smooth operation

Also I heard they're putting more R160s on the R so the R might be 90-100% R160

I didn't hear that rumor, but I sincerely hope that's the truth. For me, a nostalgic rail an, the best part of what's been going on with the Broadway Local is that the MTA has switched cars between the F and R lines. As a teen a few years back, I used to love the r46s on the Culver Line.

Also still lovin' the swaps between the C and J Lines. I'll be one sad son of a b*tch when the summer ends.

I didn't hear that rumor, but I sincerely hope that's the truth. For me, a nostalgic rail an, the best part of what's been going on with the Broadway Local is that the MTA has switched cars between the F and R lines. As a teen a few years back, I used to love the r46s on the Culver Line.

Also still lovin' the swaps between the C and J Lines. I'll be one sad son of a b*tch when the summer ends.

Due to the constanst swapping with the (C) and (J) and (Z) do NOT  be surprised if the R32s and R160s stay where they are , as of right now the (MTA) want the R32s on an outdoor line at all times so that their a/c do not break down and they as well wanna retire the R32s and R42s on one line. Now that R160s have been introduced to the (C) it would be very hard to just take it away because of complaints from both the riders and crew ,and on top of that riders and the (J) and (Z) gotten used to now seeing R32s on the line and do not mind it at all .So after the summer ends don't to shocked if you still see the R32s on the (J) and (Z) and the R160s on the (C) as long as the (J) and (Z) keep a few R160s then it will be fine in the end.

Edited by R62AR33

If 207th still isn't set up to maintain the 160s then I don't see the point in not restoring the (C) back to 100% R32s by Fall. Overheating is not a long process, so to speak. Not to mention they'll keep shuttling the R160 trains back and fourth to either Jamaica or East New York. 

And before anyone else tells me otherwise, yes there are plenty of R32s that have reliable A/C on the (C) this summer from my prespective. I haven't been seeing more R160s on that line, most likely due to the aforementioned SMS or CBTC upgrade work.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

Now that R160s have been introduced to the (C) it would be very hard to just take it away because of complaints from both the riders and crew ,and on top of that riders and the (J) and (Z) gotten used to now seeing R32s on the line and do not mind it at all .

The other reasons you gave are plausible, but rider opinion has never been a reason for car equipment swaps and I doubt it ever will be. 

The (C) has a lot of R160s and a chunk of R32s, the (J) has more R32s than R160s, very few (J) riders complained, even after September 2 sets of R32s will stay at ENY until all base order R160A-1s are done with their SMS

One positive thing is that the R32s are more reliable on the (J) than the (C)