SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How come the Staten Island Railway has a fare difference from NYC Subway?

* Each NYC Subway Station is 2.50 each stop, going to the destination

but on the SIR. I took the railway from Clinton to the Ferry and I have to pay $2.50 on the last stop

The two northern stops, St George and Tompkinville have an exit and entrance fee. All other stops are free to ride on.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

What do you guys think about this. Since the MTA are almost finnish with the (7) line extension to 34st-Hudson Yards, would it be better if they also extend the line to Lower Manhattan as an option or just leave the way it is now? Want to hear your opinion about this.

What do you guys think about this. Since the MTA are almost finnish with the (7) line extension to 34st-Hudson Yards, would it be better if they also extend the line to Lower Manhattan as an option or just leave the way it is now? Want to hear your opinion about this.

The challenge is its construction. There will be alot of utility relocation necessary. We already have a huge network of subway lines in Lower Manhattan which will prove to be incredibly difficult for engineers even with TBMs. Then again aside from South Ferry it will only produce a redundant service pattern of sorts. The service wont exactly be necessary. The R since the tubes reopened hasnt been exactly that busy lately, even weeknights when I am commuting home from Downtown Manhattan - its very quiet until it hits Whitehall Street then Court Street.

Its also too far away from Penn Station so its usefulness for reverse commuting also lacks potential. By that I dont mean a 7 extenion to NJ which is a really stupid idea for the NJ politicians to even propose vs the Amtrak Gateway project, more to do with the geographic location of 34th Street/Hudson Yards

Bloomberg wanted the (7) to extend to NJ to connect to the NJT trains easier. I think Bloomberg has a great point. But even so, how long will it take for both Bloomberg and/or your proposal to even happen? 2040s?

Bloomberg wanted the (7) to extend to NJ to connect to the NJT trains easier. I think Bloomberg has a great point. But even so, how long will it take for both Bloomberg and/or your proposal to even happen? 2040s?

Well the big problem is how to retain service when the Hudson tubes will need to be shut down for major reconstruction due to saltwater corrosion damage? Standard IRT cars cannot handle the capacity of commuters coming from NJT or Amtrak. But its also about money...

NJ politicians have already dropped the 7 to Secaucus idea which was reconsidered after the MTA laughed hard at Bloombergs proposal. The MTA with good reason refuses to get involved after Christie caused NJT to lose millions of dollars when he diverted funding from the original ARC project in order to address these needs effectively killing the project. Therefore the MTA heads watching this do not want to get involved ion a project which carries a huge amount of monetary liability along with it (In other words: Getting ripped off by New Jersey give their history as of late).

Now they seem to be directing towards a complete activation of the building of the Gatway tubes. They better hurry up with this because the Hudson tubes will not last even 30 years according to Amtrak.

Edited by realizm

I know it costs money but does anyone know when the MTA will install train arrival signs on the B division?

The B division already have it, but not for all lines. The (L) has it like the A division, but the other lines that have train arrival signs use them in a different way.

The IND Eighth avenue, IND Queens Blvd, BMT Broadway, BMT Astoria, and BMT 4th Avenue lines have at least one station with a similar function to the A division arrival signs. Instead of saying when the next train arrives, they tell you how many stations a local and/or express train is from your current station. As far as I know, the only station to say a specific line is 175th Street on the downtown (A) train only.

Edit: Apparently, another 267 B division stations are planned to be equipped with arrival signs as part of the 2015-2019 capital plan, but with the problems with the plans already, this is subject to change.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

I was hoping they built a shell on 10th Avenue as that area desparately needs subway service. That alone would take 5 years.

The two northern stops, St George and Tompkinville have an exit and entrance fee. All other stops are free to ride on.

Keep in mind collecting fares near the Ferry has the advantage of allowing Islanders a chance at getting their transfer, whereas an overnight journey would be at risk of losing a transfer if there was a disruption. So the fare collection scheme is unlikely to change.

I was hoping they built a shell on 10th Avenue as that area desparately needs subway service. That alone would take 5 years.

Its been disputed here many times but I will reiterate the fact that there is a provision there for a station if the needs arises for it in the future. They didnt necessarily build a station shell as they should have (limited on funds), but they built the benchwalls in that area as such as it will allow for fast cut and cover construction.

Edited by realizm

The B division already have it, but not for all lines. The (L) has it like the A division, but the other lines that have train arrival signs use them in a different way.

The IND Eighth avenue, IND Queens Blvd, BMT Broadway, BMT Astoria, and BMT 4th Avenue lines have at least one station with a similar function to the A division arrival signs. Instead of saying when the next train arrives, they tell you how many stations a local and/or express train is from your current station. As far as I know, the only station to say a specific line is 175th Street on the downtown (A) train only.

Edit: Apparently, another 267 B division stations are planned to be equipped with arrival signs as part of the 2015-2019 capital plan, but with the problems with the plans already, this is subject to change.

Yeah some B Division station does have it....It's definitely gonna take time....They did the IRT Stations fast..

I am just asking this question in reference to how CBTC signaling works. Would it be physically possible under the CBTC signal system to have  additional L trains skip stops during rush hours to relieve congestion?

Edited by Union Tpke

I am just asking this question in reference to how CBTC signaling works. Would it be physically possible under the CBTC signal system to have  additional L trains skip stops during rush hours to relieve congestion?

Trains are gonna jam. They run at 3 minute intervals, and CBTC can only tell the exact location of the trains to determine what speed to go at.

Trains are gonna jam. They run at 3 minute intervals, and CBTC can only tell the exact location of the trains to determine what speed to go at.

No they also allow trains to operate more closely to each other.

Also in a discussion on subchat on rebuilding the Atlantic Av station with more tracks on the abandoned structure and having more trains terminate there,

http://www.subchat.com/readflat.asp?Id=1245105&p=2

http://www.subchat.com/readflat.asp?Id=1245105&p=1

and they mentioned

No they also allow trains to operate more closely to each other.

Also in a discussion on subchat on rebuilding the Atlantic Av station with more tracks on the abandoned structure and having more trains terminate there,

http://www.subchat.com/readflat.asp?Id=1245105&p=2

http://www.subchat.com/readflat.asp?Id=1245105&p=1

and they mentioned

Yes, that too. The question is, will the (L) actually go in and out of the station quickly enough?

WWE made quite a few subway references while they were in Barclays last night. The Rock made a surprise appearance and told the fans (among the other things he did in NYC) that he "swam across NY Harbor from Staten Island, then took the (4) train to honor Derek Jeter, then got back on the (4) to Atlantic." If anyone can prove to me that multi million dollar actor Dwayne Johnson actually rode the NYC subway to the Bronx, I will eat my hat for breakfast LOL.

Also, another wrestler walked out on his tag team match and was filmed boarding a (Q) train to Coney Island (from 7th Avenue, one stop over for whatever reason.)

WWE made quite a few subway references while they were in Barclays last night. The Rock made a surprise appearance and told the fans (among the other things he did in NYC) that he "swam across NY Harbor from Staten Island, then took the (4) train to honor Derek Jeter, then got back on the (4) to Atlantic." If anyone can prove to me that multi million dollar actor Dwayne Johnson actually rode the NYC subway to the Bronx, I will eat my hat for breakfast LOL.

Also, another wrestler walked out on his tag team match and was filmed boarding a (Q) train to Coney Island (from 7th Avenue, one stop over for whatever reason.)

This was yesterday Monday Night?