SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

So I took the train home from Costco (the one on 39 Street)...

Would anyone know why in the middle of rush hour, they ran one (N) train via 4 Avenue Local and apparently (if we believe the signs on NTTs) via Whitehall?

All the others I saw (about 5 of them-all Siemens ^_^ ) ran normally and there were no (R) trains in sight until a packed to the gills, wheezing R46 showed up...

Also rode a R160 (R) the way up(to Manhattan lol) before I got the (D) train.The FIND was set to the correct destination (Forest Hills) but it only showed late night transfers... :lol:

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would anyone know why in the middle of rush hour, they ran one (N) train via 4 Avenue Local and apparently (if we believe the signs on NTTs) via Whitehall?

All the others I saw (about 5 of them-all Siemens ^_^ ) ran normally and there were no (R) trains in sight until a packed to the gills, wheezing R46 showed up...

Also rode a R160 (R) the way up(to Manhattan lol) before I got the (D) train.The FIND was set to the correct destination (Forest Hills) but it only showed late night transfers... :lol:

The only way to go via 4 Av local southbound is via Whitehall.

...that, or go via bridge and stop at DeKalb

Interesting... I saw a "local" (N) at well while I was waiting for the uptown (N) at 18th av. Happened around 4-5PM....

I believe this happened two days ago.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

The (M) and (R) have to switch onto a lower level past the station. Then trains have to crossover and then reverse to go back onto the northbound side. I think the fact that the train has to wait for another train to move is the reason it is always so congested. The layout is horrible and I wish one of the local trains could go to 179th where there is space for another route to terminate at. The local should go express after 71st to 179th. I say have the (M) go to 179th since the (R) is very long already.

The fact that trains have to be emptied is the cause—the root of it being that reversals happen on non-revenue track. That’s why it’s best to reroute (M) and/or (R) trains someplace purpose-built for turning trains.

Often, there are 20+ minute waits for the R in the middle of afternoon rush-hour, followed by 4 to 5 trains arriving at Bay Ridge at the same time.  Someone is obviously asleep at the wheel, as there is no attempt to send the first R train express to Bay Ridge;  inexplicably, the first R still goes local, further delaying the 4 R trains directly behind it.  So service entering/leaving Bay Ridge during afternoon rush-hour is severely screwed up.  The N was likely trying to help out the passengers at local stops between 59th/4th and Canal, since the next R could have been over 20 minutes away.

And in the latest news of Rockaway/ Van Siclen Avs reconstruction...

When they first closed the station, they said it would open mid-September

...September came around and it was changed to the end of October

That came along and it was changed again to December

Its now January, and the posters were updated again to Winter 2015/16

...oh joy

And in the latest news of Rockaway/ Van Siclen Avs reconstruction...

When they first closed the station, they said it would open mid-September

...September came around and it was changed to the end of October

That came along and it was changed again to December

Its now January, and the posters were updated again to Winter 2015/16

...oh joy

There's no excuse to blame mother nature on this cause the weather's been moderate & tolerable, (for this time of year). Maybe structural deficiencies as usual.  But at the same time, not surprised whatsoever. Happy 2016!

In the first half of 2016, Wi-Fi will be added to 37 stations in southern Manhattan -- including West 4th Street, Canal Street (both the Chinatown station near Broadway, and the Tribeca one off Sixth Avenue), Wall Street (on both the (2) , (3) , and (4) , (5) platforms) and the three Chambers Street stations.

Brooklyn will also be getting Wi-Fi for the first time. Six stops in northern Brooklyn, on the (L) and (G) lines, will be connected by mid-2016. Passengers won't have to wait until Manhattan to vent on Twitter about the (L) .

http://www.amny.com/news/nyc-transit-2016-where-subway-wi-fi-is-coming-new-citi-bike-stations-1.11273923

Did you guys see that picture of a R142A (9) train leaving GCT?

Okay, how about:

Instead of posting:

"Did you guys see that picture of <ridiculous thing>?"

You could post:

"Hey look at this <ridiculous thing> <picture of ridiculous thing>!"

That would have less people doubting that you actually saw whatever you claim you saw.

All I see is a (6) LED sign flipped, nothing new. Photoshop at its best.

I just blew the picture up in Adobe Photoshop Album Starter Edition and its most likely real.

The train in the frame is leaning a little bit to the left.If it was flipped the LEDs would lean towards the right and the rubber casing would appear 'cut' or wouldn't line up properly.I don't see that here.

That's what I was thinking as well, according to the guy on FB:

"I didn't notice it had a (9) sign until after I got home and posted it. Apparently I either wasn't paying attention when I took the photo or I was to busy trying to get my phone to work. I ran down the stairs since I thought before then that it was a (6) but when I saw that the train was NIS (as in not stopping at GCT) I just decided to take a photo."

So then this set may be the only one that has the (9) program left in it. He didn't catch the side signs to confirm, but are we sure this is a R142A and not a R142?

On a unrelated note, I reached 2000 posts! :D

Edited by Javier