BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

In overall, I've rode the Orion VII 3G EPA 10 six times (6x) on the B64 while going home from the Bay Ridge Library. I spotted 3Gs EVERYWHERE!! Man, it was all over the place!

I've heard a quiet whistle on the C40LF #934 while riding the B4. The bus stopped for so long at 5th Av and Bay Ridge Pkwy for operator change! It took like 5 minutes for the another bus driver to come, wasn't so bad! I guess Detriot Diesel Series 50G engine makes different noises!

Last Friday while riding the 3G, the operator jerks the bus a lot! It was actually kind of fun! I feel like riding a roller coaster!

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LOL... This is true, but the Orion Vs are filthy, esp. the ones on Staten Island and I look forward to them all being scrapped sooner rather than later. :cool: I used one this morning, as I was running a bit late in walking over to the X14. Got 6002 I believe on the S53. Those buses aren't as smooth as the newer ones either IMO.

Yeah, I remember a few weeks ago I caught one on the S94, and there was a loud grinding noise as the B/O accelerated. I kept thinking "Well, at least I only have to spend 5-10 minutes on this thing".

The thing is that I feel that when everything's working properly, those buses can easily hit a higher speed than the newer models.

In either case, I don't see why they couldn't have kept the old layout, but just have new buses. I understand they want to look futuristic and all, but there's a point when it interferes with the functionality of the bus itself. I'd rather see a plain old bus that I can fit on than a fancy new bus that flags me.

In any case, I had to go to Manhattan today, and going back I had to pick something up at CSI so I decided to take the shuttle from the ferry. My mom and I ran to the parking lot because that's where I thought it stopped, and then finally we figured out that the stop was on Richmond Terrace (the first stop the S40/S44 make when leaving St. George). The guy didn't open the door, and we (along with some college students) were thinking "WTF" and then finally a girl came up and he opened the door, and we got on.

Apparently, he was just sitting there waiting for the bus to fill up completely, and after we got on, he closed the door and pulled off. I tell you, that bus was cramped up. The outside says it seats 37 people, and there were a bunch more standing in the aisle all cramped up (I was one of them). If they had just used a different model for the bus, we wouldn't have had to leave people behind, and we wouldn't have been as cramped up while we were on the bus.

LOL... This is true, but the Orion Vs are filthy, esp. the ones on Staten Island and I look forward to them all being scrapped sooner rather than later. :cool: I used one this morning, as I was running a bit late in walking over to the X14. Got 6002 I believe on the S53. Those buses aren't as smooth as the newer ones either IMO.

Tooooooooooooo baaaaaaadddddd !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Orion 5s aren't going ANYWHERE for a while, so just put up with it and deal with it buddy. You can't get everything you want in life.

Random: The MTA should order new fareboxes in which whenever someone tries to get on the bus without paying and the driver presses the F5 button it'll automatically say "lowlife" so this way if people don't want to get insulted by the farebox calling them a lowlife then pay the $2.25 or don't get on the bus at all. Lolllllllllllllllllllll

(666th post in this thread)

The one NYCT Orion V diesel I rode was great. The only problem was I was soaking wet from standing in the pouring rain for 20 minutes and the bus got packed when it got to St. John's.

Maybe I just got lucky... and the same has been with every RTS I've been on. Maybe my next excursion won't be so lucky.

In the house early (3:30 a.m :eek: lol) so here's my Brooklyn plan...

...Mind you this is mostly bs (assuming everything is merged already) and there may some things you may not agree with but then again, I don't care lol...

East New York

B12, B15, B17, B25, B45, B60, B65,

Fresh Pond

B13, B20, B26, B38, B52, B54

Jackie Gleason

B8, B11, B16, B35, B61, B63, B67, B68, B69, B70,

Ulmer Park

B1, B3, B4, B6, B36, B64, B68, B74, X27, X28, X37, X38, BM3

Grand Avenue

B24, B38, B43, B44, B48, B57, B62,

Spring Creek

B14, B42, B82, B83, B103, BM1, BM2, BM4, BM5

Flatbush

B2, B7, B9, B31, B41, B46, B47, B49, B100

Edited by Fresh Pond
forgot the express

Yeah, I remember a few weeks ago I caught one on the S94, and there was a loud grinding noise as the B/O accelerated. I kept thinking "Well, at least I only have to spend 5-10 minutes on this thing".

The thing is that I feel that when everything's working properly, those buses can easily hit a higher speed than the newer models.

In either case, I don't see why they couldn't have kept the old layout, but just have new buses. I understand they want to look futuristic and all, but there's a point when it interferes with the functionality of the bus itself. I'd rather see a plain old bus that I can fit on than a fancy new bus that flags me.

In any case, I had to go to Manhattan today, and going back I had to pick something up at CSI so I decided to take the shuttle from the ferry. My mom and I ran to the parking lot because that's where I thought it stopped, and then finally we figured out that the stop was on Richmond Terrace (the first stop the S40/S44 make when leaving St. George). The guy didn't open the door, and we (along with some college students) were thinking "WTF" and then finally a girl came up and he opened the door, and we got on.

Apparently, he was just sitting there waiting for the bus to fill up completely, and after we got on, he closed the door and pulled off. I tell you, that bus was cramped up. The outside says it seats 37 people, and there were a bunch more standing in the aisle all cramped up (I was one of them). If they had just used a different model for the bus, we wouldn't have had to leave people behind, and we wouldn't have been as cramped up while we were on the bus.

Those old Orions don't go up hills very well and don't accelerate that well IMO either. The newer buses are much better in that department.

As for the layout, it's not possible to have the same layout, simply because you're comparing low floors buses to the old standard buses...

Tooooooooooooo baaaaaaadddddd !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Orion 5s aren't going ANYWHERE for a while, so just put up with it and deal with it buddy. You can't get everything you want in life.

lol... Well at least I can avoid them by using Bus Time if I'm not in a rush. :)

Those old Orions don't go up hills very well and don't accelerate that well IMO either. The newer buses are much better in that department.

As for the layout, it's not possible to have the same layout, simply because you're comparing low floors buses to the old standard buses...

lol... Well at least I can avoid them by using Bus Time if I'm not in a rush. :)

Must be a Staten Island thing. I'm on OG's daily, and they are doing just fine on the accelleration in Manhattan and Brooklyn. Even the oldest of the buses out of Manhattanville......

Must be a Staten Island thing. I'm on OG's daily, and they are doing just fine on the accelleration in Manhattan and Brooklyn. Even the oldest of the buses out of Manhattanville......

Where do they use Orions at in Manhattan??? I mean I'm talking about the 6XXX like 6002 and such... Of course Casey Stengel uses them on the Q32, but even those seem cleaner and run better than the ones on Staten Island. And yes it probably is a Staten Island because those buses have been neglected inside and out. lol Still remember seeing buses with duct tape holding them together. lol

Where do they use Orions at in Manhattan??? I mean I'm talking about the 6XXX like 6002 and such... Of course Casey Stengel uses them on the Q32, but even those seem cleaner and run better than the ones on Staten Island. And yes it probably is a Staten Island because those buses have been neglected inside and out. lol Still remember seeing buses with duct tape holding them together. lol

He was talking about the Older Hybrid Orions 6365-6424 in Manhattan.

I don't know. I've always thought they accelerated pretty well. Sometimes I catch them along the Richmond Avenue routes (in fact, I caught on tonight on the S59) and in the stretches where there's no traffic lights, they go pretty fast.

As far as the layout goes, just because they're hybrids doesn't mean they have to be low-floor. I know low-floors have the advantage of being able to load wheelchairs faster, but at least on my trips, I really don't get a whole lot of wheelchair passengers. The last time I saw one was like 5 months ago on the S59. And even then, with a properly functioning lift and an efficient driver, it really doesn't take that long.

Some of those OGs at MHV are really struggling though... 6407 and 6416 have been routinely in and out of the shop, and the number of breakdowns I see of 6400s is ridiculous, especially when it's warm out. [6416 actually just had the engine fiddled with and the bus is incredibly fast now, just has a cooling issue where the back of the bus is too warm for passengers to sit.] Not to mention, almost the whole 6365-6380 series is painfully slow these days, the 6360s especially. Buses will just rev and rev without going anywhere, difference between those and the 6700s is incredible, and the quickest bus of all, 4430, feels like a different decade. Shame, cause I like the early buses.

I hate those buses... Hate the layout and I hate those green flip dot signs... The next set of buses that I can't wait to see go bye bye. :mad: :tdown:

I don't know. I've always thought they accelerated pretty well. Sometimes I catch them along the Richmond Avenue routes (in fact, I caught on tonight on the S59) and in the stretches where there's no traffic lights, they go pretty fast.

As far as the layout goes, just because they're hybrids doesn't mean they have to be low-floor. I know low-floors have the advantage of being able to load wheelchairs faster, but at least on my trips, I really don't get a whole lot of wheelchair passengers. The last time I saw one was like 5 months ago on the S59. And even then, with a properly functioning lift and an efficient driver, it really doesn't take that long.

Quite frankly low floors are far better in terms of boarding and certainly for wheelchairs too. I see the time saved on lines like the M1, M2 and M3. The only think that sucked was the layout but that's better now too with the newer buses, allowing you more room to stand and such. I love the new NOVAS on the M14. Such a big improvement with the 3 doors.

Lolllllllll...those Novas are pretty serious. I'm not a low-floor fan but a Nova does me justice over an Orion 7 or a New Flyer any day of the week.

I wish the 40' Novas had the elevated aisle-facing seats like the Nova Artics do.

Lolllllllll...those Novas are pretty serious. I'm not a low-floor fan but a Nova does me justice over an Orion 7 or a New Flyer any day of the week.

I wish the 40' Novas had the elevated aisle-facing seats like the Nova Artics do.

I tell ya I rode one the other day on the M14... Still had the new bus smell. Having three doors on those buses will certainly speed things up a little too.

Since it's old news, no point in posting this in the bus moves thread.*

Saw 9613 and 9383 on Nostrand av both with FB stickers.

Yesterday had problems with 3519's farebox. I had a 30 day unlimited and kept dipping the card in the box, but it still had that read error sign. Being in Queens I wasn't waiting another 20 min for the next bus to show and just got on. This is not fare beating, I used the unlimited on the other buses and had no problems including today. That same ride, 3 other people had read errors as well.