BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Well yeah it is annoying that the doors take forever to open and close, but they're still better than the old artics by a mile.

Quite frankly I prefer the Xcelsiors. They ride so smooth and I also like the signage too. :tup:

Well the Xcelsiors are better than the LFS buses. I'll give them that.

I think Orion kept changing minor stuff with some orders. I personally prefer the tape because those bars are terrible. I don't like how it rolls rather than is just push in.

Eh. Different strokes for different folks.

The issue with the LF buses is the rear seating... what do you do if people never climb those steps? With the NG CNGs here there's absolutely no room in the back once the seats fill up. With the NG HEVs there's at least a good amount of breathing room considering there's barely anyone back there but it seems like a waste of space if no one moves back.

Yeah, that's how I always felt as well. Believe me, that used to be my catchphrase: "There's more space in the back!"

I mean, I'll stand in the lower portion if there's only a couple of standees, but when more people start getting on, I'll move to the back.

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SBS or no SBS, they should just ban parking north of Av H on Flatbush av and make those bus only lanes.

That was just my rant today since I was on the B41 -- shit was a headache. If they could make the whole "No Standing" restriction from 7AM - 7PM on Flatbush Avenue to make it a straight through-fare, then we can see some movement.

I think Orion kept changing minor stuff with some orders. I personally prefer the tape because those bars are terrible. I don't like how it rolls rather than is just push in.

The Original Orion 7s have the tape, the same tape seen in the Orion 5s, and then the Orion Next Gens 3800-4244 have the bars and then 4245-4278 and 4330-4702 have the tape that's flush with the door, not the tape that protrude from the door by like a few millimeters.

I kinda like the bars because they do close quickly. The vapor doors seen in the buses with the tape take forever to close. And yeah, looking at the bus roster fleet on the TTMG website there are a lot of changes that were made while the buses were being delivered.

While I'm not to fond of the Orion 7s, I'll say that the Third Gens have won me over. Speaking of the Third Gens since they relate to the BT&E fleet, I don't think we'll be getting any more Xcelsiors. They look aesthetically pleasing but at the same time, they seem cheaply made sorry to say. Someone did say that the Xcelsiors have a different body frame that's different from the D40LFRs. Wish we would've gotten those instead.

Yeah, I prefer the tape. The bar makes the door heavy, which makes it harder to open. The door closes less noisier with the tape than the bars..When the doors with the bars close with a "CRACK" sound.

The thing with the 3G's that I don't like are the seats. I don't know if anyone has experienced this but the first time I rode one every big turn, little turn, bump, and loop they go through, the seats cackle. They make a "CACK" sound. And thats god damn annoying..I wish they would fix the seats. LFS, the first time I rode one no seat problem. C40LF's and XD40's IDK, never rode one lol.

I wish they would have set up the seats on those 3G like on the newer OG & NG hybrids.

Tall person like myself cannot fit in those forward facing seats on the HF portion of those buses, exception of the ones in the last row of the bus.

Not to mention when people stand up there and someone has to get off from the back, its much harder to do so.

If Orion wins this thing, I hope the TA specs the buses to have that U shaped seating in the rear.

I am in the minority about the recent LF seating arrangement for the rear section. I believe they should have more seats as people have some sort of aversion to stand back there. What better way to encourage ppl to move back than with more seats. I do agree the 3g bus seats on the wheel arch is too high, but I prefer that over the 'conversation seats' of the nova. I'd go one step further, it's the lf segment that should have the interior facing seats so you can allow for more ppl to stand down there since they refuse to move to the back.

Spotted 5091? looking 'fresh' on the B41 today. Pristine and no ads on, they way they should be.

When is the BT&E program over?

After a year from the Test buses's delivery. Then they'll evaulate the buses & see which of them performed the best. But I'll leave the rest of this to a guy who would know this type of thing more than me like ENY. Lol.

Also, why were 6401-6402, 6468, 6485 retrofitted with lithium-ion batteries.

To test out as specs for future Hybrid orders. The Orion VII NG's have in the form of 3960-4278 & up have lithium-ion batteries. They seem to work thus far & are the more effective type of batteries from what I was told.

Replies up in bold.

guess I can put this in this section...

I wanna know who on here was with 3 acquaintances/friends on a NB 2 train around 5:30pm @ 42nd st yesterday going apeshit over a B46 SBS..... 2 other dudes & this 1 chick.... whoever that was, needed to calm the hell down... no need to show out like that in public....

I kept looking at the person like, wtf is he talkin about a B46 SBS (I thought dude maybe meant the 44 SBS, but he kept saying 46).... I eventually arrive home, and was like 2 seconds away from asking about a B46 SBS in the shoutbox.... but then I checked the bus section & saw ENY's thread..... Then I go, so THAT's what that kid on the train was talkin about.....

The B/O reactions is one of the biggest cons of taking photos of buses, they either stare you down, or give you a WTF look, or stop and bother you/ask why you're taking pictures of them or the bus, they rarely if ever just ignore you and keep it moving like T/Os & Engineers do on the rails.

I remember everyone on a CNG I took a photo of in Flushing, bus was at a Red Light and the B/O and all the passengers on the right hand side of the bus stared at me until the light turned green, I doubt everyone on that bus has Aspergers, OCD or something but they act like they never seen anyone take a photo of a bus before.

I wonder how taking photos of Transit Vehicles has changed since Greg Mocker came on the scene? Haven't been fanning much in that part of the hobby. :cry:

@ MTV, reminds of a driver I came across back in the day when I took a photo of his bus on the B100 and dude stopped in the middle of the street and asked a whole bunch of questions, and requested that I don't take a photo of the front of the bus hes driving but only the back...

Also had that happen to me on a Jamaica Depot route, which sucks because the latter situation I don't remember what dude's face looks like. :cry:

It was Downtown on Livingston st... Smh. I think I've seen this guy before, maybe in one of those fan trip pictures, but definitely looks familiar. In my head my thoughts were comprised of, "what's this bitch taking my picture for?", but what was funny is he looked like he was crossing the street then just kneeled down, took a picture, and walked away without even acknowledging my "wtf" reaction.

guess I can put this in this section...

I wanna know who on here was with 3 acquaintances/friends on a NB 2 train around 5:30pm @ 42nd st yesterday going apeshit over a B46 SBS..... 2 other dudes & this 1 chick.... whoever that was, needed to calm the hell down... no need to show out like that in public....

I kept looking at the person like, wtf is he talkin about a B46 SBS (I thought dude maybe meant the 44 SBS, but he kept saying 46).... I eventually arrive home, and was like 2 seconds away from asking about a B46 SBS in the shoutbox.... but then I checked the bus section & saw ENY's thread..... Then I go, so THAT's what that kid on the train was talkin about.....

What did these three look like?

The B/O reactions is one of the biggest cons of taking photos of buses, they either stare you down, or give you a WTF look, or stop and bother you/ask why you're taking pictures of them or the bus, they rarely if ever just ignore you and keep it moving like T/Os & Engineers do on the rails.

I remember everyone on a CNG I took a photo of in Flushing, bus was at a Red Light and the B/O and all the passengers on the right hand side of the bus stared at me until the light turned green, I doubt everyone on that bus has Aspergers, OCD or something but they act like they never seen anyone take a photo of a bus before.

I wonder how taking photos of Transit Vehicles has changed since Greg Mocker came on the scene? Haven't been fanning much in that part of the hobby. :cry:

@ MTV, reminds of a driver I came across back in the day when I took a photo of his bus on the B100 and dude stopped in the middle of the street and asked a whole bunch of questions, and requested that I don't take a photo of the front of the bus hes driving but only the back...

Also had that happen to me on a Jamaica Depot route, which sucks because the latter situation I don't remember what dude's face looks like. :cry:

I remember I got on an S79 at ETC and the B/O asked me "why didn't you ask me to smile?" I saw her before because she would always be relieved by my friend by Yukon last pick. At least some B/Os aren't as grumpy as we all think.

Finally got a ride on the XD40, not bad at all. I only wished I got to ride at the back, but the seats were all filled. I did see an older guy maybe 50s taking a pic of the bus at the point where the B6 makes the turn onto Av H. That caught me off guard as I was sitting on the left side of the bus in the single seat.

As for taking pics, I generally take one pic if it's a general bus, but if it's rare like 915 (led sign, now sadly retired), 5105-12 (orange led sign), 4618 (white front), 4229 (1x2 seating), I might take 2-3 pics. I honestly don't react much to the driver's reaction, but do respect that they might not be 'ok' with it. But to this day (knock on wood) no one has stopped and yelled at me directly. I generally do not stand at the same spot for more than a few min.

Haven't been in the downtown area since the summer.*

Edited by Grand Concourse