BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

At Staten Island's St. George Ferry terminal, you'll see a lot of Novabus LFS leaving and arriving the stop (all out of NYCT). Nowadays, in Queens, the diverse will be similar at Jamaica Av with the New Flyers and Novas arriving and leaving stops during the rush hour (NYCT and MTA Bus). It's interesting seeing the recent New Flyer XD-40 on the Q54 and Q9 arrive and depart at the same time. But, a visible difference is the rear door how it opens and close. Same with a LFS on the Q8 and Q30 heading to Jamaica-LIRR station. 

Edited by Calvin

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, poopybutt123 said:

Has anyone seen these NGs lately? 

LaGuardia: 4222, 4541, 4493, 4570

JFK: 4021, 4059, 4156, 4169, 4401, 4528 

Flatbush: 4595 

Casey Stengel: 4685, 4689 

4595 from Flatbush, 4685 and 4689 from Casey Stengel are getting maintained.

Board meeting materials call out added express bus service along the BM2, BM5, SIM1C, SIM4C, SIM23 and SIM24 ahead of congestion pricing kicking in.  This is in addition to the X63 and X64 that was announced earlier.

1 hour ago, 7-express said:

Board meeting materials call out added express bus service along the BM2, BM5, SIM1C, SIM4C, SIM23 and SIM24 ahead of congestion pricing kicking in.  This is in addition to the X63 and X64 that was announced earlier.

So those are the lines getting the extra state funding. Oh well, I was hoping for QM5

6 hours ago, 7-express said:

4 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

So those are the lines getting the extra state funding. Oh well, I was hoping for QM5

I’m hoping the CP express routes are protected in the wake of congestion pricing, especially since they’re trying to cut service with the redesign.

3 hours ago, IAlam said:

I’m hoping the CP express routes are protected in the wake of congestion pricing, especially since they’re trying to cut service with the redesign.

If I was a betting person, I would say they're going to put the Queens express redesign on ice until congestion pricing ridership patterns are established in the fall to see what actually needs tweaking.

Not that it matters since CP is essentially running the service cut schedule anyways with the amount of missing runs due to a lack of drivers.

guys I have a question 

Why is Nova constantly delivering buses from the 173 Bus order and not from the 135 bus order?? It doesn’t make any sense to me as Baisley Park should be 100% fully Coneheads right now but still have NGs in their fleet after most of them was sent to JFK. I personally believe Nova is juggling between the 2 orders and mainly delivering buses from the 173 order. There should be no reason why a JFK option Conehead was delivered before the rest of the baisley cones was delivered 

What do y’all think of my statement? 

5 minutes ago, poopybutt123 said:

guys I have a question 

Why is Nova constantly delivering buses from the 173 Bus order and not from the 135 bus order?? It doesn’t make any sense to me as Baisley Park should be 100% fully Coneheads right now but still have NGs in their fleet after most of them was sent to JFK. I personally believe Nova is juggling between the 2 orders and mainly delivering buses from the 173 order. There should be no reason why a JFK option Conehead was delivered before the rest of the baisley cones was delivered 

Its called all the buses are the same thing and the MTA doesn't care about numbers

5 hours ago, poopybutt123 said:

guys I have a question 

I speculate that the MTA wants to retire off the worst of the hybrids first. Some of those NG’s at JFK have parts being held together by duct tape. Some of their NG’s also ride like pure garbage. 

At least at BP those NG’s are not necessarily needed outside of rush hours even though they typically still run a few of them anyways. I wouldn’t be surprised if BP’s LFS order wrapped halfway into LGA depots order of LFS. 

2 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I speculate that the MTA wants to retire off the worst of the hybrids first. Some of those NG’s at JFK have parts being held together by duct tape. Some of their NG’s also ride like pure garbage. 

At least at BP those NG’s are not necessarily needed outside of rush hours even though they typically still run a few of them anyways. I wouldn’t be surprised if BP’s LFS order wrapped halfway into LGA depots order of LFS. 

Lol, That is true JFK does have units that like pure hell inside n out, I do expect LGA to receive units very soon each day closer I feel like a LFS is gonna be delivered. Where is 9198 a LGA unit now at anyway? I assume now at the JFK vendor 

8 hours ago, poopybutt123 said:

guys I have a question 

The majority of the option order is scheduled to be delivered before the main order is completed. 

23 hours ago, 7-express said:

A few more updates on the express bus funding here: https://www.amny.com/transit/mta-express-bus-service-congestion-pricing/

On 4/29/2024 at 5:22 AM, JAzumah said:

I'm glad the MTA is finally, openly stating that they need to boost ridership on EXP lines (and the RRs) if congestion pricing is going to actually make a difference

Posted (edited)
On 4/29/2024 at 8:26 PM, SevenEleven said:

The majority of the option order is scheduled to be delivered before the main order is completed. 

Meaning that the option order is being prioritized than the base order. This explains why Baisley Park barely had any new deliveries to them recently.

Edited by RSMG106

Posted (edited)
On 5/3/2024 at 5:36 PM, RSMG106 said:

Meaning that the option order is being prioritized than the base order. This explains why Baisley Park barely had any new deliveries to them recently.

They are getting back to the Baisley Park order but not at a instant (fast) speed rate. 9006 is present at the JFK vendor. 

Edited by Calvin

On 5/3/2024 at 4:21 PM, NewFlyer 230 said:

I’m on 8014 on the Q46 and it’s hard to believe this bus is 13 years old. QV has done a great job making this old bus feel like it’s a few years old. 

Yes. I hear from some other Queens folks that Jamaica depot is quite the opposite.

19 minutes ago, TyBusLover1 said:

Yes. I hear from some other Queens folks that Jamaica depot is quite the opposite.

I ride the 2011s from both depots and they are generally not that great. There may be some decent units sprinkled in but in general, they are getting up there in age. 

22 hours ago, xD4nn said:

I ride the 2011s from both depots and they are generally not that great. There may be some decent units sprinkled in but in general, they are getting up there in age. 

There are some good ones in the bunch. I think QV’s fleet aged a bit better than Jamaica’s. 

22 hours ago, TyBusLover1 said:

I don’t have much complaint about Jamaica depot and their maintenance. However, I will say is that there is a noticeable difference between a lot of JA’s original LFS’s (within the 8090-8503 series) and the buses they acquired from The Bronx. Some of them LFS buses were beat up before coming to Queens and Jamaica received a lot more of them buses than QV. 

44 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I don’t have much complaint about Jamaica depot and their maintenance. However, I will say is that there is a noticeable difference between a lot of JA’s original LFS’s (within the 8090-8503 series) and the buses they acquired from The Bronx. Some of them LFS buses were beat up before coming to Queens and Jamaica received a lot more of them buses than QV. 

The ones that they received from the Bronx are really beat up and in poor condition. Many of them don’t sound right and there is one bus where the floor isn’t sealed properly and diesel fumes leak into the passenger compartment.